AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard so many references to "make sure its an original barrel" and comments about US made barrels being crap... it makes me wonder, as a non-builder..... is there really no good barrels being made in the US? do the soviet block countries have some awesome way of making a barrel that we here in the US cannot achieve?
just curious, as ive never heard the reasons for the often-stated preference .....

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I dont remember hearing any problems about the x39 besides not being crome lined. There were problems with the 5.45 barrels though. I dont remeber exactly what the problem was but it was something like first just slapping on a 5.56 barrel then it was the correct 5.45 but with a 5.56 twist rate ...and again.....no crome. Besides that most traditionaly no one here considered the AK accurate or worth a damn so any correct caliber barrel will do regardles of materials used. Another plus is that the original barrels are CHF (Cold Hammer Forged). That tends to have better accuracy over a button rifled barrel. All things being equal of course (good materials and good design combined with quality control)

·
Registered
724 Posts
US manufacturers are absolutely capable of making quality hammer forged, chrome lined AK barrels.

The reason they don't is that there is no demand for such a barrel at a price that would cover the cost of production.

There are several manufacturers offering high quality chrome lined hammer forged AR15 barrels. An AR guy won't think twice about dropping $300 on a barrel.

AK guys are notoriously cheap cunts and typically refuse to pay much over a hundred bucks for a barrel.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
us manufacturers are absolutely capable of making quality hammer forged, chrome lined ak barrels.

The reason they don't is that there is no demand for such a barrel at a price that would cover the cost of production.

There are several manufacturers offering high quality chrome lined hammer forged ar15 barrels. An ar guy won't think twice about dropping $300 on a barrel.

Ak guys are notoriously cheap cunts and typically refuse to pay much over a hundred bucks for a barrel.
excuse me..!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Meanwhile Kvar regilarly sells 5.45 barrels for 250ish?!?!?!
My point exactly. In my book, $250 for a factory barrel is a smoking deal. There are tons of AK-74 kits out there. They are still in stock months after they showed back up on their site. Meanwhile, people are still building 74's with non chrome US barrels to save a hundred bucks or so on a build.

APEX had CHF Romanian barrels for years at $110 and then later for $180. Again, a smokin' deal in my book, even at the higher price. I picked up a few. They languished on their site for months at the $180 price. It wasn't until APEX got some really cherry Polish kits post panic that they finally sold out.

Any domestic manufacturer would look at that and (justifiably) conclude that there is no market for a top quality CHF US AK barrel.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
US manufacturers are absolutely capable of making quality hammer forged, chrome lined AK barrels.

There are several manufacturers offering high quality chrome lined hammer forged AR15 barrels. An AR guy won't think twice about dropping $300 on a barrel.

AK guys are notoriously cheap cunts and typically refuse to pay much over a hundred bucks for a barrel.

Now that I think about it, your are right. Most ak guys are cheap as hell! Not that its a bad thing, but its true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts