AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this isn't the first range report for one of these and it probably won't be the last. I had four different types of ammo that I wanted to try out and just thought that some of you may find the info useful. This is only my observations with my rifle. You can take it for what it's worth.

Nothing really scientific, here. I fired a five shot group with each type of ammo, from a bag on my bench, at 100 yards. I made sure to let the barrel cool before switching ammo. Temperature was just over 90 degrees today and not quite as humid as your typical August day in Minnesota. There was only the occasional 2-5mph breeze.

Bulgarian Surplus
This is what I've shot the most of, so far, only because it's the cheapest and what I have the most of. Overall, I would say that it's the most consistent. However, that's probably not a fair assessment, as I have yet to do a lot of shooting with the other types of ammo.

The Bulgy group, from a cold barrel, was 2.55 inches, for the sake of this test. Although, in the past, I did shoot a 1.5 inch group with it. The difference could have been weather, or just plain luck. But today, I was happy with the 2.55 inch group.

Barnaul 59gr FMJ
The Baurnaul seemed to shoot very well. It felt slightly hotter than the Bulgy Surp. It shot a respectable 2.8 inch, four shot group, with one flyer, opening it up to 3.4 inches. That may have been my fault, but I can't say for sure.

Wolf Black Box 60gr HP
I'm getting the impression that my rifle just doesn't like this stuff. At first, I thought maybe it was too heavy, but given how the 70gr MC performs (we'll get to that in a minute), I'm beginning to think that it might just be the fact that it's hollow point. :neutral:
It shot a 3.54 inch group. This was the best of three groups that I shot with it, actually. The others being as wide as six inches. Not very consistent, IMO.

Wolf Military Classic 70gr FMJ
Given the performance of the 60gr hollow points, I didn't have high expectations for this load. I was surprised, however, when the 70gr FMJ rounds made a nice 1.92 inch, four round group. The fifth round was a flyer and totally my fault. It opened the group up to 4.18 inches.

I should also note that both Wolf loads seemed to be hotter than either the Bulgy surp, or the Barnaul, with the 60gr HP having the most noticeable "punch".

The rifle functioned flawlessly. All ammo was fired from two Bulgy surplus mags and there were zero FTF or FTE issues. The only real issue that I've had with this rifle was a short disconnector spring, when I first got it. Since that was replaced, it has run like a champ. I only wish that it had a scope rail, so I could really test her out. But, in any case, this is probably the most accurate and fun AK that I have ever owned. Thanks to Todd and ORF for all their help and excellent customer service.

:dance:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gewehr455 said:
Nice write up. Is your rifle one of the newer guns with the NDS receiver?
Thank you.

No, I believe this is one of the last of the older batch. It has an Armory receiver and the dark gray park finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts