AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original barrel fixed stock Bulgarian AK74 kit I plan to have built up as a Bulgy AK74N. I have purchased an NDS-2 a year or so ago and stored it in preparation for the build. I have a Bulgarian side rail ('1-1' stamped) as well as a rivet set from KVAR. My desire is to keep as much of the original finish as possible. That means that as of now, I am working with the understanding that the receiver will need to be parkerized separately because the other components are all good to go... to make a long story short... what is they best 'order of operations' to get this thing together and properly finished without sacrificing the original finish on the Bulgy... that includes having the rail riveted... and starting with the bare NDS-2 and my kit. (Am I being foolish by wanting to keep original finish?)

Also, what am I up against as far as matching the Bulgy paint in hue and gloss... I was planning to utilize a custom Duracoat blend (to be ordered) and practice on some naked parts to confirm a match in color. I plan to employ an airbrush.

Additionally, I noticed this AM when I was assembling parts that there is a small bloom of rust on the receiver exterior... after reading a bit I have found this to be a common problem on Nodak receivers shipped to humid environs and stored... what do I need to do to prep the receiver to prevent rust creep from the central support rivet and any future rust blooms before building? Are we looking at a long boil in some distilled water then cooled and oiled? Also, what should I make sure happens to this receiver as far as prepping for park, I plan to send it out for this parking, but I want to make sure I dont have any problems down the road with support rivet rust or creep from out from under the scope rail or the receiver rails...

I'm all ears guys

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Can't answer the park parts as I've never done that, but regarding the rust, yes that is common on the NDS receivers. What I do it spray a coat of Ezzox, let it sit for a few hours then wipe off, especially with focus on the harder to reach areas where the center rivet is, and the rails. Seems to help keep it from rusting till I'm ready to use.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so I boiled the receiver for a good long while in distilled water, baked it dry in the oven, and then covered it in a cosmoline-like heavy grease.

As for proper finishing... Does anybody know whether the Bulgys painted over parkerizing on their AK74s? Or are they just media blasted and painted?

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
As for proper finishing... Does anybody know whether the Bulgys painted over parkerizing on their AK74s? Or are they just media blasted and painted?
Original is paint over park. But if you are not set up for park., the paint over media blast is acceptable.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original is paint over park. But if you are not set up for park., the paint over media blast is acceptable.
As stated above (in my first post)... if you were going to have the receiver parked before paint... but wanted to keep all other parts with their original finish (or as many as possible) how would you work to achieve this? Would a barrel trunnion journal's size get messed with if a barrel was not installed in the trunnion during parking? Better to use a plug or a cut barrel to keep the journal unaffected? Would a cut barrel even be legal since it would be <16in? Any other considerations? I read a previous post you made where you stated: "I use GunKote Satin knocked down with about 10% flat to flatten it some." I'd like to see how well that and others match my kit. I recently purchased a few 18"x18" sheets of 20 ga 4130. I plan to cut them down to 3x3 swatches so I can test different paint mixes. I cannot media blast, nor am I set up to park, so I planned on employing a gunsmith who has the tools and expertise.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Park the receiver separate. If blasting you could do that after assembly but taping off the parts to be left original.
If parking the receiver with the trunnion & rivets etc., in place you run a brake hone in the journal to clean it. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Park the receiver separate. If blasting you could do that after assembly but taping off the parts to be left original.
If parking the receiver with the trunnion & rivets etc., in place you run a brake hone in the journal to clean it. Not a big deal.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts