AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got AKMs, and AKMS, an AKS-74 and a krink on the way, and am debating picking up an AK-47, the grandfather of them all. I REALLY don't like the looks of the new Arsenal guns, an AK-47 with '74 or '74 type parts.

Other than selling kidneys for a polytech legend, what good options are out there for a classic 47?

·
Registered
512 Posts
You could do a weld/firing line receiver build on a milled parts kit, or pick up one of the newer Bulgarians (SA-93, SLR-95, SLR-100, SLR-101, SAM7, Etc) and modify them to type iii configuration, add a wooden stock set, refinish and probably still save money over a pre-ban milled gun.

Really there's no way to get one cheaply. Probably the cheapest way would be to try to find an older Bulgarian sitting in a shop somewhere or at a gun show where the dealer doesn't realize they've gone up by $300-500 in the past four years and get a good deal on it, and build on it from there. I saw a mint SA-93 for $450 at a gun show just last month. I didn't have the cash but those kinds of deals are out there if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Legend

Buck up and buy the Legend. You won't be dissapointed. Trust me the Arsenal doesn't even come close. :sad:

They aren't getting any cheaper. You don't have to buy a NIB one. I have a NIB, and a shooter. :grin:

The Chicoms make the smoothest AK's out there, in my opinion. Yugos are sweet also... Lots of people think the Hungarians are smoother. But I like my Chicoms better, and have both. :hail:

If you modifie another rifle. It may be a milled reciever. It will Never be a Legend, just another modified pieces parts gun. :neutral:

Life is too short. You're only going to be here once. If you want it, BUY IT :dance:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm getting ready to sell a nice Hungarian milled kit after I come back from vacation. It would work great with a Firing Line receiver. That and some money to get it all together would make for a nice rifle. Too bad you can't find one of the old SLR100 receivers floating around...

Spooky

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Maybe you could find a Gordon tech. milled rifle. Those were real good builds IIRC. Or as others have said try to get a SLR-95n and go from there. A friend built a type 56 clone off one and it looks great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts