AK Rifles banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
You bet.
They conned me into drinking their kooolaid about " used by the Russian military , blah , blah , yada , yada ".

:doh:

My only excuse is that I bought the thing 8 or 9 years ago.

Thanks, I now know to avoid the Kobra. I was considering getting one but couldn't get any info or reviews. This thread pretty much convinced me to avoid and stay with the Aimpoints.

campperrykid said:
the Kobra just plain sucks.
No reason given, I guess because that's what people say when they can't think of a logical reason to badmouth something legitimately. How can you expect people to read your statement with any credibility, unless you explain why you decided this was the case?

Black Blade said:
Thanks, I now know to avoid the Kobra. I was considering getting one but couldn't get any info or reviews. This thread pretty much convinced me to avoid and stay with the Aimpoints.
Well, maybe you didnt bothered to read the thread closely. In general, the vast majority of Kobra sight owners have enjoyed years of excellent service from them and they have a great reputation. I guess you are not gonna see the silent majority chime in here.

To be honest, the only people that really don't like Kobra sights are the ones who never took time to learn how to use then properly, or those that somehow expected a $185 sight to have the same battery life., etc. as a $600 sight, or those that had a bad experience with one unit of some cheap model or the other and now think all Russian optics are the same quality, etc. so they group them all together.

Then we have these guys who actually carry AR's and don't really like anything Russian in general, to include AK's, over their preferred Western equipment. In the case of those folks, they generally only post here when they are posting negatively. Just take a look at their post history and see what I mean.

Do I hear $259.99 for this fine optic?

The Aimpoint is and continues to be the gold standard.

yep, sure is!

like the $600+ compM3 model that took a shit in one of our seminars last week! He was trying to zero it on for 220 meters, went to adjust the elevation when elevation wheel was just spinning instead of clicking.

i will take your shitty little Kobra off your hands it it hasnt been to gayed out by the operator, and IS in working condition

please let me know what payment you would like and i will send you funds at once
thanks

campperrykid said:

voron said:
yep, sure is!

like the $600+ compM3 model that took a shit in one of our seminars last week! He was trying to zero it on for 220 meters, went to adjust the elevation when elevation wheel was just spinning instead of clicking.

i will take your shitty little Kobra off your hands it it hasnt been to gayed out by the operator, and IS in working condition

please let me know what payment you would like and i will send you funds at once
thanks

campperrykid said:

Sold.
I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I set up a Post Office Box.

ive never owned one

A guy here just did a write up on a class that he took. it was raining and i guess water was gathering where the little light/laser thingy was coming out of so hed lose it. he said he could remedy the problem by blowing the water out. he also added that the recoil would do this for him.

Wow, so much info in this thread my brain is confused and my eyes tired. I just wanted to say that while some of my pals tell me the battery life on the Kobra stinks, which might be true, I left mine on (AA model) accidentally for two weeks, and it was still on. It did die shortly after that though. I love mine. Can anyone tell me- Is it safe to use Lithium AA batteries in it?

Probably gonna piss both sides off here but when yer in the shit you find a way to make yer equipment work...no matter what the supply line provides...there's a huge difference between theoreticial and actual when it comes to things like this ...the Kobra can be made to work under all conditions as can the Aimpoint...I wanta talk briefly about about the number of GI's found dead with cleaning rods in the gas tubes of their M-16's in Vietnam early on?...does that make the AR a bad platform?...no...absolutely not...but it's tooo easy to argue these points on the net when really they've been resolved in real life...Kobra's on Ak's have killed a buttload of good guys and Aimpoints on Ar platforms have also outed a huge number of ass holes...my point here is that whether it's a Kobra or an Aimpoint it does work and as the op it's yer responsible to keep it operating whatever the circumstances are and know your equipment....'raider' out (and yes, I'm pro Kobra/Ak)...

Guys,
This is outstanding thread with tons of good info. I don't want to comment on development of Kobra, because this is very complicated topic. One, which can't be really answered without looking into the political situation in Russian in mid to late 90's all the way to today. Good thing is that it looks like Ak accessories makers in Russia are enjoying (maybe that's too strong word) some sort of better business climate than even a decade ago. What is really not healthy for us, US based consumers, is the fact that prices for Russian made optics surged to the new levels and there is no sign of relief on the horizon. Kobra prices are pushing $450 limit today. I fully agree with logic presented Voron and Tantal - at the time when this thread started (2 years ago) for +$200 it was really a good deal to have Kobra on your Ak. Now however, we are looking into the new reality and i have a hard time to justify current Kobra price levels. That being said, here is another proof that not all of the Russian Special Forces units (I don't want to say Spetsnaz, because organization of special forces units in Russia is another very complicated topic) are sporting Eotech's...lol:

Soldier Military Army Military uniform Personal protective equipment

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Cool pic for sure. I wonder what group this guy is with?

I bought a Kobra sight and the power switch broke off first time I tried to use it. This Russian POS should only be used for recreation and is not something I would ever count on. I've been using Eotech sights for years, I've dropped them, banged them off of tree limbs, you name it, never a single problem. I can't believe I was naive enough to buy a Kobra after all the years of good service I've gotten from my Eotechs.

I`'ve had two Kobras both purchased from Tantal quite a few years ago, and have had no problems with either. Both have been accidentally dropped on concrete from about waist height. I`'ve had to replace two Aimpoint Comp M`s as the on/off switch came out of its housing. Personally, from my limited experience, I`'ll stick with the Kobras on my AK`s.

I`'ve had two Kobras both purchased from Tantal quite a few years ago, and have had no problems with either. Both have been accidentally dropped on concrete from about waist height. I`'ve had to replace two Aimpoint Comp M`s as the on/off switch came out of its housing. Personally, from my limited experience, I`'ll stick with the Kobras on my AK`s.
Well I'm glad for your good luck, because it seems like a good luck bad luck scenario on these switches. I also thank you for the heads up on Aimpoint. My feeling now is to stick with what's proven to me to be 100% reliable, and not try to cheap out buying anything except an Eotech. I'm going to offload this Kobra for whatever I can get out of it and move on.

I bought a Kobra and after about a year the Red Dot went out and the switch wouldn't work. Mysteriously a few months later it worked. I never trusted it again. They just aren't worth what they are asking for these days. At $130 for a fun gun, yes. At $400+, save the extra pennies and get an Aimpoint.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.