AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I made a big mistake and walked into a pawn shop today. They had a Luger so I thought I'd take a look just for fun. It's a 1937 byf with two mags. It's all matching, including one of the mags! The condition is around 85-90% with holster and hand wear. They want $1,000 for it. Unfortunately I'm a poor student and I'd have to sell the Luger I currently own. but its not in as nice condition as this one and the only reason I bought it was because the holster that came with it is pretty interesting and in good shape for being made in 1916. However the Luger has areas of pitting and the bore has some frosting, and its a poor shooter so the pawn shop probably wont take too much for it but when am I going to come across a luger with a matching serial number again? So should I go ahead and see what they will give me for my Luger? And how much is a Luger with a matching magazine worth?

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
My advice would be to do your homework on Lugers first. While it might be matching, it also might have had parts switched, or even re-stamped...especially the mags...look close for this.

If it is indeed as advertised, I"d go for it...I want a Luger again, but can"t justify the cost at the moment.
If its possible, try and take a pic or two, or see if you can have a three day inspection period. If you can, I can point you in the right direction to where some very knowledgeable individuals are who can tell you everything you need to know.

· Registered
23,516 Posts
JoeMomma said:
My advice would be to do your homework on Lugers first. While it might be matching, it also might have had parts switched, or even re-stamped...especially the mags...look close for this..
this

I got burned *bad* on a luger and had to ditch it at WAY less than what I paid for it. there are entire books out there on what to look for and what is correct etc.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
As others have said, do some research. Start by asking around on some of the internet luger forums like surplusrifle.com, etc. i like WWI Lugers a lot more than the WWII era ones. They are much nicer fit and finish wise and the history behind them (Royal Army, Freikorps, Reichswehr, WWII, etc.) is really cool. I've got one made in 1914 and one made in 1916. They are both beautiful but I got a good deal on them too. make sure you do the same. :wink:

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Whatever you do, do not trade it in or sell it at a shop!! Including the pawn shop! Try to sell it FTF, you will recoup more of your money that way. I bought a $750 9mm years back. A few months later went in to the same mofo who sold me the gun, and they(him n his bossman) offered me $65..... :evil: FTF, or internet auction is the way to go!!

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took another look at it and the mag doesn't appear to be forced matched and I still rate the condition at 80-85%. I'm going to go ahead and sell my Luger and I might make them an offer but I might just save my money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.