AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already got a full-size Imbel FAL, M1A, and HK-91 - stock guns for collection... But, I want a SHTF .308 and a gun I can kick the crap out of w/out feeling guilty. I'm a lefty, and the FAL ergos are great for backwards individuals like me. Pretty sure I want a Para stock - just to have the option. DSA is the most obvious choice.

Main question - 16" or 18" barrel?... Why?

TIA

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i would say the 16 inch just for the simple fact that you already have a full sized one....that way you get something similar yet different....more compact and easier to manuever too :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
I"d go with an 18 inch if it were me. The strength of the 7.62x51 is its accuracy, and good velocity. A shorter barrel is handy, but you lose those, and increase muzzle blast.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I'd also go with the 18" barrel, it's what FN made as a factory Para for years (actually it's metric and worked out to something like 17 3/4").

You get much less muzzle blast and flash than the 16" barrel.

If you decide on the 16", and they are handier, they work fine too, just much blastier.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tough choice. I have a 16" DSA and it is my hands down favorite .308 (probably favorite battle rifle for that matter). It is awful handy, accurate, and reliable. The 18" would get you a little more velocity, but would be a tad longer to move around. If I had a choice, I'd probably go 18" for ballistics reasons.

Considering the price and the quality of a DSA, I don't think you'd be doing a whole lot of "kicking the crap out of", but thats just me. They are nice guns.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a Congo carbine in 18" and a para in 18".....great compromise length.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EFR - you're right, I probably wouldn't be kicking the crap out of it, but I would be much more willing to treat it like the tool that it is. I tend to buy nice rifles, and if it the only one of that type/pattern/make/model/etc - I usually try to keep it in great shape. I dont get neurotic about it, but you know what I mean...

Baker - Interesting w/the FNC HGs!!!! I like that - never even considered that substitute. Did you have to mod them in any way to mount/fit?

·
Registered
344 Posts
j-rod, PM me and I will meet you at the range and you can play with mine. It's a all Imbel para folder 17.75".

Just bring that 550 with you... Maybe the Tiger too... :grin:

PS, I have a "well used" para lower and stock assembly I'm not using too....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
j-rod said:
EFR - you're right, I probably wouldn't be kicking the crap out of it, but I would be much more willing to treat it like the tool that it is. I tend to buy nice rifles, and if it the only one of that type/pattern/make/model/etc - I usually try to keep it in great shape. I dont get neurotic about it, but you know what I mean...

Baker - Interesting w/the FNC HGs!!!! I like that - never even considered that substitute. Did you have to mod them in any way to mount/fit?
Cut some leather to wedge in the handguard ring to act as a spacer.
The FNC handguards are a little shorter than FAL handguards.
Works just fine though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts