AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I found it nearly impossible to find many good references on the Onyks and Mini Beryl I figured that I would share detailed photos of the parts I have collected with the other AKforum members.

Let me preface this with "I am no expert on these variants" I only offer detailed pictures that I personally took.

If you haven't already I suggest you take the time to visit this page --- Polish wz.88 Tantal this is the best source of information I have found on the Onyks
Let me start with I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to own such a cool AK variant that actually didnt exsist much beyond a limited run prototype gun.

One thing I noticed right away when looking at the parts was how much they had in common with the tantal parts. The hand guard retainer, gas tube, and upper handguard which are unique on a Tantal compared to other AK variants are VERY similar on the Onyks.

So lets start with the Most unique parts of the OynksThe Onyks FS/GB is taller than the Tantal however from what I can tell they utilize the same drum, front sight post, detent, spring and pins

The Onyks and Mini Beryl's Gas Blocks are Very similar, the Mini Beryl is slightly modified to include an alignment notch for the drum and the threads are now a piece that attaches separately on the bbl

Here are the boosters, the short black one is the polish version of the AKSU booster and was the first developed, the silver one is the more commonly seen "onyks" booster, the one on the right is the Mini Beryl and is similar to a birdcage found on an A2 all are threaded 24mm RH. One thing to watch out for when buying is that the parts in "white" are said to not have been heat treated.

The Rear Sight block is another unique part, and has a rail that extends back over the dust cover and rivets to the RSB. the shorter one is the Onyks and the longer "Picatiny looking" one is the Mini Beryl

You can see that the upper handguard attaches to the RSB of onyks and mini just as is it does on the tantal (black painted RSB with tradition rear sight leaf)

I also have a RSB for the hinged dust cover which is believed to be the earliest variant (as the polish version of the AKS-74u) I do not unfortunately have an original rear cover but hope to make one from blueprints of the original. The middle is onyks and the one on right is mini with notches for beryl style rail

The rear sights are adjustable for elevation like the AKSU 100-200m on one side and 400m on the other

The Mini Beryl rear sight is tritium and when you flip it to the longer range setting it turns into a peep sight, the front sight on the mini is also tritium (mine glow bright!)

The Hand Guard Retainer as Mentioned before is very similar to the Tantal, the major differences being the "latch" is on the inside and there is no cleaning rod hole. The onyks/mini requires a flat screwdriver

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gas tubes are identical for Onyks and Mini and look like a shortened tantal gas tube without the indentations

Lastly I will go over some of the furniture, originally they used a laminate wood that appears to be made from the same wood the laminate PGs were made from and some unknown to me material for the upper?, then they went to polymer, and then to fore-grip with rails. All mini and Onyks furniture is interchangable

Later Upper hand guards were vented, but appear to be identical to the early non vented

The front of the lower HG is steel reinforced and the heat shield is shown to the right

The handguard with the forward grip and rails has a pin held captive with a clip that replaces the screw lock on the handguard retainer and is made from modifying the early polymer handguard and a pistol grip

I hope this satisfies some curiosities and will be adding information and updating this when I get these built into rifles!

I would also like to include some link to other threads in this forum about the onyks to see additional photos as I do not want to use others pictures without permission;

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/27-polish/155891-wz-89-onyks-pictures.html
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/27-polish/131003-onyks-rifles.html
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/27-polish/151754-wz-89-onyx-onyks-production.html

If you would like to see any additional photos please dont hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Justin

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved for additional photos

·
Registered
477 Posts
I could pb ad some mini-beryl related pics if anybody is interested. I have the last part or two coming in the mail in the next week or two. One being the rsb, and the other is a fake "mock up" barrel that is a clone of the original from the aspect of the OD measurements. Basically just a barrel without the rifling. I would love to get the parts to build an onyks, but the few specific parts are really tough to find. Also from what all I have seen, the onyks barrel is the same profile as the mini beryl barrel but chambered/rifled differently and only 8.15" in length vs the 9.5" length of the mini beryl due to the one piece vs two piece fsb.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please post bbl dimensions when you get them, that would be great!

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
If you guys want I will tack this- I think it is very worthy of a tack!

Dawg180

Reactions: BigSal

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
there is also a new stylw hand guard retainer that has sling hoops on both sides. i snagged the pictures off photobucket so i won't post them.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Justin,

Very cool research!
Let me know if you need more pics of my 1995 WZ.89.

Merry Christmas !
Please post the pictures here! would be great!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Back from the dead!!

Woo talk about a crazy couple of months. I am finally rolling around to getting back into the mini beryl build that I have in the works. As a side note I recently saw a ted marshal imported mini-beryl on GB that is an awesome example and has some great pictures of a factory FB wz96. Very rare gun as well.

Jmac, will be getting to those barrel dimensions I previously posted about. It has been sitting in the safe with the barrel hardware pressed into place for several months now.

I was also able to recently pick up an original onyks front end, and will be working to see how close a virgin bulgy 5.45x39 barrel will come to the original onyks barrel dimensions. Should be identical to the wz96 dimensions with exception to the length which is 8-ish inches vs slightly over 9". I am hoping just to turn the profile down to what I need and go from there. Still need to get them side by side and bust out the calipers.

Mabuse, I second you posting more pics of your rifle.:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Amazing write up. Making me kick myself for not mustering the 2500 for the Marshall one on GB!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Back UP!!!

Well, I pulled out the calipers several weeks ago and the profile of the onyks and beryl barrels are much too large to use a Bulgarian aksu barrel as a donor. So now I am stuck having some blanks turned down and building from the ground up, or using a 74 barrel and turning it down to the proper profile. On another note, the *soon to be* Mini-beryl barrel is with a local gunsmith waiting to be turned from its current profile to the new dimensions and will hopefully be done and back within a few weeks. He takes a while, but always turns them to a perfect press fit for the parts.

Also have to do some finishing work to the onyks fsb I have. The gas port needs drilled and the piston relief/pocket will need to be opened up and finished from its original cast state. S

Still haven't decided on whether or not to mod a tantal gas tube to use or just use a mini beryl style gas tube. The fluted style gas tube was used originally on them with a typical krink style piston, but some models I have seen utilize the MB pieces.
I even have an extra MB gas tube with a MB piston I had made modeled after my MB bolt carrier, but haven't decided for certain.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Still haven't decided on whether or not to mod a tantal gas tube to use or just use a mini beryl style gas tube. The fluted style gas tube was used originally on them with a typical krink style piston, but some models I have seen utilize the MB pieces.
I even have an extra MB gas tube with a MB piston I had made modeled after my MB bolt carrier, but haven't decided for certain.
I ended up modifying a Tantal tube for my Onyks for two reasons.
First it was matching numbers to the kit I used and second because I have an original Onyks bolt carrier/piston and decided it would probably work better than the Mini B tube.

Who made your Mini B piston?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ended up modifying a Tantal tube for my Onyks for two reasons.
First it was matching numbers to the kit I used and second because I have an original Onyks bolt carrier/piston and decided it would probably work better than the Mini B tube.

Who made your Mini B piston?
Local gunsmith. Although I am thinking about having a few extras made by TT for those wanting to build a MiniBeryl.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
^^^ :wank:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
WP_20140902_012_Tantal_&_Oynks.JPG

Had these two out for a photo op so I figured I'd post this pic. Put the Oynks front furniture back on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts