AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering a weapon on Armslist.com. Unlike purchasing from a community such as this I feel unprotected around sending funds. PayPal does not provide an answer. I think you could hide the purchase but don't believe there would be recourse if deal went bad. Was thinking about asking seller to ship to my FFL. If not as advertised pay shipping back. If acceptable have my FFL hold until seller notifies funds are received. I would do that if I was selling. Comments?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Basically you are talking about a form of an escrow payment.

Yeah, good luck with that. As a seller, I wouldn't be shipping until I had payment in hand. I don't know your FFL... maybe it's your brother. There are some escrow services out there, but they take a cut, and I don't know of anyone who has used one.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
As tempting as it is, FTF or through a local dealer is the only Armslist transaction you should do. FTF only in a busy, public, daytime locale and take a friend along. There have been scammers
working Armslist for all it's worth since the panic and out of town transactions are highly not recommended. Most folks will tell you not to use Armslist for firearms purchases.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Please don't do any purchases on Armslist (unless FTF).
Way too many Nigerian scammers on there. Some of your fellow board members have been ripped off, even with supposedly secure USPS money orders.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if someone provided me the info around an FFL with true storefront store, positive reviews on search engine and a full service website I would be good with sending a firearm for inspection by buyer. Forums are way to active to screw up if you are a business trying to make it in this sector. Guess that's just me. I would be happy to double transfer fee for his trouble.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Not too many of those types on armslist.
Gunbroker is better for having actual, contactable, commercial businesses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like above poster said, face to face only in daylight in a public area. Most if not all of the too good to be true prices with stock photos are scams.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have never purchased a firearm off Armslist, so I can't speak to it. I have done business on AR15.com, with almost 90 transactions over the years with probably ten or so being firearms. I have done business on Smith & Wesson forum numerous times, mostly as a seller, but have bought a few times. Extremely active on GB. Not one time has a transaction gone sideways on any of the aforementioned forums, plus a few others. Armslist would have to be FTF for me.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Armslist is filled with thieves. I have found items I was selling on Gunbroker copied and pasted on Armslist. You need proof of life, a hand written letter with their user name, your user name and the weapon all in one photo. Then you send the funds to their dealer, not to them, with strict instructions that the funds are not to be released unless the rifle is shipping. You call their dealer before you send funds with funds made out to their dealer if need be. Let him broker the transaction, not them.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I've sold a dozen or so firearms via Armslist, and purchased half a dozen.

Demand a copy of their driver's license upfront in the ad, that tends to scare off the low lifes, big time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Armslist is filled with thieves. I have found items I was selling on Gunbroker copied and pasted on Armslist. You need proof of life, a hand written letter with their user name, your user name and the weapon all in one photo. Then you send the funds to their dealer, not to them, with strict instructions that the funds are not to be released unless the rifle is shipping. You call their dealer before you send funds with funds made out to their dealer if need be. Let him broker the transaction, not them.

Exactly what I mentioned before. The seller I was dealing with sent name, address, phone number. I checked it online. It was good. Everything was good up until I asked the gun to be shipped to my dealer and held till I inspected it. The most the seller could have been out was shipping one way. Deal ended there. One member mentioned they would not ship to Lgs without funds in hand because they might be buyers brother.....that is the beauty of forums like this. One post asking about Dealer in a distant area would be replied to immediately by brothers in arms. And the world turns.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I've sold a dozen or so firearms via Armslist, and purchased half a dozen.

Demand a copy of their driver's license upfront in the ad, that tends to scare off the low lifes, big time.
Oh no, no, no.
I have quite a collection of fake IDs that have been recovered during investigations of Nigerian scammers.
These guys are GOOD!
Request a copy of their FFL, or their dealer's FFL? No problem. They fake up FFLs.
You have a store name they are using, and they give you their phone number. You google and the area code checks out. Guess what, they spoofed the phone number.
You want a reference, they can provide them.
And remember, you aren't talking to a foreign national. They have recruited good ol' US citizens for these scams. You make a call to MS, and you are talking to a bubba.

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have sold 3 rifles non-FTF through Armslist, a M39 for $275, a FAL for 2 grand, and just this week an AK-74 for $875. They were all intended to be sold locally, but folks from out of town contacted me. Of course, I held up my end of the deal, but I would have been nervous as shit to be on the other end of those transactions. On the more expensive two, I could not believe anyone would send me the funds, as I probably could have ripped them off with no recourse on their end.

I personally will not be purchasing non-FTF through Armslist. I also suspect there are Nigerian scammers and such on the site, as I have attempted to contact several people for local transactions and have not heard any response whatsoever. Either flakes or scammers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts