AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Patriots was definitely not my favorite.

In one portion, the lead kills two people for having Mao's Little Red Book (and for not submitting to a search as they wander down the road the main character is watching), and then the killing is justified after the fact by the discovery that the cart they were pushing is full of baby parts.

· Registered
23,514 Posts
Norsesmithy said:

In one portion, the lead kills two people for having Mao's Little Red Book (and for not submitting to a search as they wander down the road the main character is watching), and then the killing is justified after the fact by the discovery that the cart they were pushing is full of baby parts.

+1000

makes for a "fun" story but its definitely not very realistic.. it goes very much Red Dawn at the end... there were a couple of parts where i went "BULLSHIT!" and took me out of the book altogether.

Good for a one time through but after you think about it... it just falls apart.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
I have read "One Second After", and thought it was very good. I"m a little leery about "Patriots" though...I"ve heard it was a little "preachy".

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Norsesmithy said:

FWIW - Actually, the two people are killed by TK after the discovery of the human meat they were keeping for food. Can't say I blame him.

One Second After is a better book. It markets to the general public more than the gun show/survivalist crowd.

Patriots author wants to market to more than the gun show crowd, but get a bit over the top, especially for the general public. I still like Patriots though and I don't mind it getting a little preachy as I'm inclinined to hear preaching on occasion. Patriots was the book that I credit as waking me up to possible scenarios. One Second After could have done that, but I'd be 5 years behind on my preps based on its publishing date.

I would loan One Second After to anyone. Patriots - not so much.

My personal favorite is Lights Out. It was previously published as a .pdf, but will be made available in print sometime this summer.

· Registered
942 Posts
Norsesmithy said:

Patriots is crap. Its a good example showing that anyone can write a book, but not everyone should. The story is a contrived series of convenient events, and the characters are just too weird. Rawles is a hack in my honest opinion. He takes everything he reads online and converts it into his own stuff.

One Second After, however is a decent read. The story is plausible. The characters are somewhat believeable, and with a little suspension of disbelief, you can actually enjoy the book. There is actually some real-world credibility to the author, Forstner. He has studied the effects of EMP on technology and how it would cripple our nation. There is even a foreword by Newt Gingrich.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
The commie cannibals thing maybe a hat tip to Lucifer's Hammer. Remember the New Brotherhood Army of neo-luddite cannibals?

In anycase his point was probably that people who believe certain things are less inclined to being prepared.

I do agree though his book was over the top like a cheesy 80s action flick, but then again those are fun to watch sometimes. I watched Rambo III on tv last night. That movie is just as cheesy as Patriots.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
The only book I have read by Rawles is "How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It", and I have to say its well written, has some great info, and is very realistic with regards to preps.

Hell, my mom even thought it was a good read.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Before Rawles moved to Idaho he was a US Army Captain and then in civilian life he was a technical writer. He touts Patriots as a survival manual with a novel written around it. It's not Lucifer's Hammer, but it did make me think. It made me realize I was like the Dan Fong character - lots of firearms, ammo and equipment, very little stored food. There are parts in the book that I like and parts I do not like. The first copy of Patriots I read was published before 9/11 and to me was a little better than later revised editions.

He does have a "free to read" screenplay based on characters in the original novel. It's similar to Patriots but not identical. It lacks a lot of the technical info and is a decent story.
http://www.rawles.to/Screenplay1.html

His technical info, to me, has mostly proven sound. I bought most of it before I was active on any firearm/prepper forums.

I have and have read:

Rawles on Retreats and Relocations - I haven't seen anyone else publish a modern text on the subject. It came in handy when I was looking for property in 2006. I still have not purchased land, but it helped me a lot with my "DO NOT WANT" property criteria list.

The Rawles Gets You Ready course (basically what you can buy at Sam's/Costco in quantity - what stores well and what does not). This course has its place - especially helpful for the overwhelmed newbie, still a good resource for those in the know. The course came with a CD interview of Rawles. There's a statement he made in the interview I have used to help make friends see the value of storing some food - "You have home insurance. You have auto insurance. You likely have health insurance. Food storage is "Pantry Insurance"". Pantry Insurance seems to strike home with the uninformed. This book is similar to James Talmadge Steven "How to Make the Best of the Basics", but I like the was the Rawles book a little better. To me this manual is worth $30, but Rawles assoiciate that offers it asks a lot more for it.

How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It - by the time this was published I was familiar with a lot of the material, but makes for a nice "reminder list" to read while on the throne.

Rawles tries to make a living selling information so he can live in the hinterboonies. Can't say I blame him. I wish I knew how to make a living working from home with no employer based on info stored in my head.

Just my .02 centavos.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
kaiservontexas said:
The commie cannibals thing maybe a hat tip to Lucifer's Hammer. Remember the New Brotherhood Army of neo-luddite cannibals?

In anycase his point was probably that people who believe certain things are less inclined to being prepared.

I do agree though his book was over the top like a cheesy 80s action flick, but then again those are fun to watch sometimes. I watched Rambo III on tv last night. That movie is just as cheesy as Patriots.
In modern standards, Red Dawn is pretty cheesy - yet I never tire of it. :smileak:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.