AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my notification about a month ago. I'm among the 25k getting paroled from the Air Force.

Guess I'll be retiring as a Reservist instead. :\

Good thing I already had my resume in for pre-publication review....Welp. Contractor for 3-5 years, and GTFO Maryland. Thankfully the Reserve has a fine selection of IMA slots out here for my career field. Was toying with cross-training into EOD, but there aren't any spots for Reservists in that field at Andrews, so I'd have to drive a *LOT* farther than I'm keen on doing for drill....and with the IMA I can at least do it on my own schedule.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Sorry to hear. All the guys in my old platoon that stayed have been forced out in one way or another. GL in the semicivvy life unless yuor doing active reserve.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obliged. Goal is South Dakota, Omaha area, or San Antonio in 3-5. As long as we're out of this state though, that's the primary goal. All else is secondary.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yeah, my nephew just got his walking papers. I hate it for him he worked so hard. He is on a kc-10 crew. Kc130?? air to air refueling plane. He has made it to a E-5 in his short time and done everything asked of him. He just left McGuire AFB for duty tour somewhere. It sucks this is all this young man talked about in High school and Rotc is going into the Air force. He grew up next door to the Little Rock AFB. I mean right next door C130's would come over wheels down over his mom's house in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What's your AFSC, Grade, and years in service if you don't mind answering? I'm just curious about who is affected by this. I've been in 10 years (8 Active) and my AFSC is X4N071 (Aeromedical Evacuation Technician).

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a 3D/1B, E-5 with 11 years. I spent enough time with the Army to know there's no way in hell I'd go that route.

I want to take the PAST still, but he doesn't seem to care. He found out he can get me into an IMA at Meade and won't deviate from that track at all. Guessing that's where his quotas are short...

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Do you think my nephew can fight his discharge somehow? He said they were cutting a lot of the refuel crews. They didn't mind sending him to the sandbox after they gave him his papers

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are review boards for some career fields; if he missed his window, he's SOL. All this info was very well-publicized within the AF, so if he didn't see it coming, it's on him. Sucks, but it's how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Military drawbacks suck balls. Went through it during the early 1990's post cold war era. Depending how deep it is, there is only so many fatties and misfits that can be cut before they have to draw a line and just start separating good Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My son said he received notice that his career field is overstaffed and persons in it are eligible for early retirement and voluntary early separation and or retirement. As I understood him voluntary cuts and cuts of personnel who have disciplinary or performance issues and those who have not met promotion expectations will go first. Then those with clean jackets and good performance reviews if they choose not to voluntarily separate will all be put before a review board and some will be forced out. It is my understanding if the separation is forced you get to retain some benefits that you would otherwise loose should you volunteer to separate. Hopefully when the music stops he will have a chair.

Having to force out good people who were looking forward to a career is truly pathetic management by the Air Force command. Putting experienced and trained personnel with good standing out on their ear while still taking in recruits is asinine. There are other alternatives to retain staff and still save money, job cross training, freeze on pay and promotions, even offering retention with temporary reduction in pay with grade and rank retention until staffing is leveled out.

Sorry but this is not "taking care of your people"...shame on them, it could be handled much, much, better.

Also anybody wanting a military career after hearing of this treatment why would they ever enlist in the Air Force just to serve 10 or 12 years then be tossed out like yesterdays trash....truly f'in pathetic.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
My son said he received notice that his career field is overstaffed and persons in it are eligible for early retirement and voluntary early separation and or retirement. As I understood him voluntary cuts and cuts of personnel who have disciplinary or performance issues and those who have not met promotion expectations will go first. Then those with clean jackets and good performance reviews if they choose not to voluntarily separate will all be put before a review board and some will be forced out. It is my understanding if the separation is forced you get to retain some benefits that you would otherwise loose should you volunteer to separate. Hopefully when the music stops he will have a chair.

Having to force out good people who were looking forward to a career is truly pathetic management by the Air Force command. Putting experienced and trained personnel with good standing out on their ear while still taking in recruits is asinine. There are other alternatives to retain staff and still save money, job cross training, freeze on pay and promotions, even offering retention with temporary reduction in pay with grade and rank retention until staffing is leveled out.

Sorry but this is not "taking care of your people"...shame on them, it could be handled much, much, better.

Also anybody wanting a military career after hearing of this treatment why would they ever enlist in the Air Force just to serve 10 or 12 years then be tossed out like yesterdays trash....truly f'in pathetic.
I will probably catch shit for this, but a Military retirement is never a guarantee when anybody firsts enlists. That is why enlistment contracts are for only short fixed periods of years and never the whole 20 years. Enlistment contracts are also filled with legalese that basically says your enlistment is at the benefit of the government needs and needs change. The Military is always subservient to budgetary constraints of the civilian legislative branch.

Build ups and draw downs are a fact of military service. The trick is for someone who want to do a straight 20 for retirement is to have found themselves first enlisting at the start of a build up bubble and ride that wave into retirement. Unfortunately, some find themselves through no fault of their own, on the down slope of that wave and bubble and good people still have to get separate against their will. Like anything run by humans, the military is not immune from "cronyism" and few shit birds and douche bags will get a pass to be allowed to stay in while a good guy gets thrown out.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I will probably catch shit for this, but a Military retirement is never a guarantee when anybody firsts enlists. That is why enlistment contracts are for only short fixed periods of years and never the whole 20 years. Enlistment contracts are also filled with legalese that basically says your enlistment is at the benefit of the government needs and needs change. The Military is always subservient to budgetary constraints of the civilian legislative branch.

Build ups and draw downs are a fact of military service. The trick is for someone who want to do a straight 20 for retirement is to have found themselves first enlisting at the start of a build up bubble and ride that wave into retirement. Unfortunately, some find themselves through no fault of their own, on the down slope of that wave and bubble and good people still have to get separate against their will. Like anything run by humans, the military is not immune from "cronyism" and few shit birds and douche bags will get a pass to be allowed to stay in while a good guy gets thrown out.
Of course no retirement in any field of endeavor is guaranteed and staffing adjustments are always possible. The difference comes in the manner of adjustment, how well it is handled by management. Discharging people with known good performance records rather then re-training them is poor management in my opinion. From a straight cost perspective why would you be pushing out experience, trained NCO's and Staff NCO's and still be recruiting and inducting? In 2008 RAND institute study the initial skills training for AF recruits was around 1.6 billion (that is training costs only excluding payroll). Attrition and washback costs alone were 137 million. That is just for initial skills training. When you consider the costs involved in training up skilled personnel the AF method of force reduction seems very short sighted...penny wise and pound foolish as the old saying goes.

I guess the best thing to do if you get your walking papers is to stay in a reserve component and try to get a federal job where your service years will count towards retirement.

I wish all good luck in finding a good position in civilian life and thanks for your service.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
..Build ups and draw downs are a fact of military service. The trick is for someone who want to do a straight 20 for retirement is to have found themselves first enlisting at the start of a build up bubble and ride that wave into retirement. Unfortunately, some find themselves through no fault of their own, on the down slope of that wave and bubble and good people still have to get separate against their will. Like anything run by humans, the military is not immune from "cronyism" and few shit birds and douche bags will get a pass to be allowed to stay in while a good guy gets thrown out...

My son is an 8 1/2 year AF Ssgt and he has to have his records reviewed and who knows what else for retention. His career field is not undermanned and he wants to stay in working C-17's so we have our fingers crossed. Draw down on account of the cold war ending (like my time in) is one thing, I survived that even as a SAC weenie but to be involuntarily separated because the Air Force chooses F-35's over good people really sucks the big one.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
My son is an 8 1/2 year AF Ssgt and he has to have his records reviewed and who knows what else for retention. His career field is not undermanned and he wants to stay in working C-17's so we have our fingers crossed. Draw down on account of the cold war ending (like my time in) is one thing, I survived that even as a SAC weenie but to be involuntarily separated because the Air Force chooses F-35's over good people really sucks the big one.
Sounds like the Marines I deal with on the V-22. Every platform has it's "club" and the key is to be on a newer platform if you want retention and promotion. Some of the Marines I deal with are telling me the F-18 career field is a dead end and the V-22 and F-35B is where everybody is clamoring to get into. The problem is those from a leadership perspective would rather promote and bring up younger people than cross train and slide over from other platforms into the newer ones. I seen this in the mid 1980's when I was in the Army when the AH-64 came online and anybody with a pulse coming out of school was rapidly promoted and the legacy AH-1 guys where playing musical chairs and when the music stopped, they hoped to have a chair to sit in.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Thankfully the Reserve has a fine selection of IMA slots out here for my career field.
Well that's good.

I was lucky to hit my first reenlistment under the great Ronald Reagan Casper Weinberger build up. We got everything we wanted to battle the evil empire. I rode that all the way through Desert Storm into the Berlin wall coming down era.

I just hope the services (big blue in particular) are wise when it comes to these personnel reductions not just for my kid but for the nation as a whole.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I'll have a damn decent chunk of Involuntary Separation Pay coming. Since I'm going Reserve, I'll be retaining commissary/PX(BX) privs, and will utilize the Tricare Reseve Prime (or whatever they call it) for under 2 bills a month. My VA Disability claim will be delayed as far as receiving payments (they withhold your disability pay until they've withheld an amount equal to whatever your separation pay is; it's basically considered an advance on your disability pay) but at least that's in and they're working it.

The wheels are in motion, and I'm not freaking out yet. Those of you with family members/friends in line for the same thing, YOU CANNOT FOOT-STOMP FOR THEM ENOUGH TO PAY ATTENTION AT PRE-SEPARATION AND TAP BRIEFINGS. There are a WEALTH of opportunities/programs to assist them with career placement and education as they leave the service, but it's not an automatic "you have to go to this counseling" kind of thing. They have to request it, and the process for that starts at Pre-Separation (which I just did yesterday) and TAP class (which I have next week). Beat it into them that they need to pay attention and take advantage of stuff that's being offered if they want/need help.

My situation is unique in that the combination of clearance and geography puts me at an advantage a lot of guys don't have, and I'm incredibly grateful for that. I've also got several pards who are ex-military and now working on the contracting side of the house, who have not only been keeping me accountable as far as getting resume done EARLY, but also getting it out as soon as it was approved for public release.

Glock (and everyone else with friends/family who may be affected), stay on those loved ones. Don't be afraid of them getting annoyed at you....remind 'em that there's a big change coming, and you want them to have as big a jump on securing employment as possible. :) If they just need to vent some stress/frustrations, hit me up and i'll send my phone number. I don't even care if they give me their name.....no worries about it getting back to their chain (as has happened to me in the past, although not from anyone here). I'll gladly listen and offer what little advice I've gathered thus far. :D

FWIW, we're already looking at property in South Dakota and Texas. I really love the atmosphere most of the year in SD, but even being from Iowa, the winters there can suck it. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts