AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently a co-worker and I got DE safety razors [Amazon] and DE blades..We were both sick of paying $3 ea. for fusion blades.
Even buying bulk @ Costco..still kills.

His is still in the wrapper. [scared to use]
I am loving it all.. Got a badger brush and shaving soap too. So cheap..so old skool..so kool. 100 DE blades for $7.50!

What a nice shave..close. no razor bumps either. A true "wet" shave. You have to be very careful though.
My barber is so proud of me too ..lol

I had a beard for years..gone clean shaven now.

Be fore warned..don't treat like a Fusion multi-blade!

Anyone else ditch the fancy multi-blades ? I won't go straight-edge..too scary.

My Fusion is collecting dust.. :grin:

EDIT: Added a VIDEO LINK for first timers and guys thinking about it >>
http://www.youtube.com/embed/KZDPEogOU34?feature=player_detailpage

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I used these back on Submarines because we weren't allowed to have aerosol cans of shaving cream onboard. (Atmospheric contaminant.) Had the old soap mug & brush to do it right. I always liked the way they work.

Lazy now. I like my three headed Norelco rechargeable. That things goes three weeks on a charge!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya.
We ordered the best entry - level DE safety razors we could find. Happens to be a company in Egypt!

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Safety-Razor-Model-LP1822L/dp/B004N77JVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375753271&sr=8-1&keywords=lord+razor

I also ordered a nice shaving kit [$35] w/ badger brush, not boar.

My son and g/f watched me shave last saturday doing the "old school" wet shave...when you hear the crackle of the single sharp DE cutting its wild.
I've been at it for almost 2 weeks..I'm pretty secure at it now...no nicks.

So many friends want to try it but are scared.
:sad:

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
I've been shaving old school for two years now. Best blades I've found are russian or Israeli. The Israeli seem to last a little longer. I've come to prefer it for cost reasons and I get a better shave out of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm still using the Gillette DE razor that was issued to me in April 1965 at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. The nickel plating is worn on the handle but it still works great. Would't trade it for an :smile: ything else.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Well you guys sold me! I watched a couple youtube videos, to make sure I dont slice my juglar and it seems just like using a regular razor with a little extra care! Being that I have to shave 5 days a week for work cartridge razors get expensive so that is the excuse I am using lol. (maybe it will keep my wife from using it on her legs also!)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You want REALLY close and 'old school' try a straight razor! Some of us have been using them for years.

My Doctor about had a stroke when he came into my hospital room last month while I was shaving. His comment was that I am on a blood thinner Cumadin/Warfrin (sp?). My answer was, "SO". I insist on clean shaves and am careful. Taking your time shaving the Old School way is like truly have a 'smoke' with either a cigar or even better yet a Pipe!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hawk45 said:
You want REALLY close and 'old school' try a straight razor! Some of us have been using them for years.

My Doctor about had a stroke when he came into my hospital room last month while I was shaving. His comment was that I am on a blood thinner Cumadin/Warfrin (sp?). My answer was, "SO". I insist on clean shaves and am careful. Taking your time shaving the Old School way is like truly have a 'smoke' with either a cigar or even better yet a Pipe!
I shaved that way for a while but my razor is dull so I'm back to the disposables.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
OK, I've got to try this now.

I've always wondered about it, but never tried.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I got tired of the expense, and the clogging on anything but a daily basis shave was just stupid.

I bought a German Merkur safety razor and use Wilkinson blades and have never looked back. Blades last 3-5 shaves, will cut through a 5 day beard no probs, And never clog!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I just use cheap, disposable 2 or 3 blade razors.
I'd be very interested in this if you guys can assure me that it is actually cheaper, and not just a novelty of nostalgia.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Corrosive said:
I just use cheap, disposable 2 or 3 blade razors.
I'd be very interested in this if you guys can assure me that it is actually cheaper, and not just a novelty of nostalgia.
It seems cheaper to me, aside from initial set up. $8-15 for 100 blades, if each blade lasts at a minimum of 5 days, and you only shave say 5 days a week, that is 4 weeks shy of 2 years on $8.00 worth of blades.
I use a cartridge style razor right now and generally use each head for around 3-4 weeks due to cost. No clue what the cheap disposables cost but they are defintly cheaper than non disposable but I cant see them being cheaper than $8-15 for 100 razors, but I could be wrong!

I am only going by blade cost and not the other stuff involved in shaving which you will use if you use the old style or new (aside from a badager hair brush which really isnt required for either) Or the safety razor its self which is a one time investment.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I need to get in on this. I have super sensitive skin and get razor burn from hell even with the damn fusion and all the special shave gel and stuff. I'm tired of paying out the ass for them too. I have been wanting to do this and you guys have convinced me to try.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Its easier not to shave.

·
Registered
552 Posts
LOL beat me to it. That's how I avoid the cost of razors, I just don't shave. Well that's not entirely true still have to clean up around my neck but go through very few razors. When I was a kid, after my Grandfather shaved he would set me on the counter and shave me with a cup and brush and double razor. Felt ten feet tall.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I got my razor, brush and shave cream in last night and tried it out today. Its about as close a shave as I get with that 5 blade cartridge razor with a new blade in it that I have been using. Takes a little bit longer and is defently going to take some getting use to though. Razor burn was not that bad if any, I got a little close on my adams apple which stings a little but no cuts today, pretty good for first time using a razor like that! So far I like it better than my old razor and it has the danger factor going for it which is a plus! Negatives: the brush kinda smells like a wet badager, I guess this is normal because its still new, shaving with the safety razor is going to take some getting used to, angles and stuff (mostly on my neck and under my jaw line).

This is the razor I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL ... UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts