AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my FFL Dealers place the other day,and finally rememberd to ask him how much he wanted for the Swiss Army ruck he had on the wall for years.
He gave it to me....free is good! :dance:

The stitching is tight, and although dry, the leather is in fantastic shape. Which leads me to my question...

I"m almost out of the German made leather conditioner I"ve been using for several years, so I need to find something made in the USofA that will work. There is alot of leather there, so I"m going to need a several quarts or so. Neats Foot Oil is NOT an option...that shit is about the worst thing I have ever used on leather. It tends to leave a white film, and will "bleed" out of the leather. Any suggestions?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Former owners tag, and makers stamp with the year 1962:

· Registered
3,255 Posts
Lexol......EXCELLENT stuff!! I've been using it for years. It doesn't darken leather and works like magic. I have a couple of those bags.....I think they will last about 3 lifetimes with every day use. Nice score!

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked through users comments on Cabeles website, and everyone seems to be raving about this, so I"ll give it try. I"ll let you guys know how it worked.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know alot of WW I and WW II colectors use this stuff on holsters and slings.
Considering the ammounts I"m gonna need for the bergen though, I"m still going to try the other stuff.

· Registered
7,630 Posts
The best I have found is sold through Tandy Leather. "Aussie Leather Balm". Mix of beeswax and oils. Rub it into the leather with your fingers and then warm the leather up with a heat gun to let it flow into the grain.
Softens callous's nicely too.

Once treated, if the leather is still a bit dry, I brush some Ballistol oil on it and let that soak in. Compliments the Aussie balm.

You know those dried out Hungarian slings? Treat with the Aussie balm and warmth and see how they respond!

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a short road trip to a surplus store, I found an excellent condition breadbag that attaches to the outside of the pack for $8.

Rich, I also snagged an old style pistol belt for the hardware to swap out the bullshit set up on my SA FAL rig.
Are you still willing to do the sewing for me?

· Registered
7,630 Posts
JoeMomma said:
After a short road trip to a surplus store, I found an excellent condition breadbag that attaches to the outside of the pack for $8.

Rich, I also snagged an old style pistol belt for the hardware to swap out the bullshit set up on my SA FAL rig.
Are you still willing to do the sewing for me?

Of course! You're welcome to send it here any time.

· Registered
834 Posts
JoeMomma said:
I"m actually thinking of going with this stuff:

http://www.obenaufs.com/product_info.ph ... 19f36fedf1

Anyone ever used it? I have alot of leather items, so an ammount like this works for me.

I've used the Obenauf's heavy paste for leather for more than a decade. Best stuff I've ever found, and puts the more common brands (I'd tried Danner, Sno-Seal, etc.) to shame. I have some boots from the 1990's still going strong (resoled, but leather is still good) thanks to the Obenauf's stuff.

-otus

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know otus, especially since I went ahead and ordered the package deal:
http://www.obenaufs.com/product_info.ph ... 19f36fedf1

I"ve used many different products, and since I"m all but out of the German stuff I got in 04, I figure its time to throw the dice.

After a bit of looking around at comments, I could not find a bad one at all. I"ll report the results when the bag gets treated.

· Registered
1,578 Posts
Saddle soap, don't use but. I have several saddles one is over 90 years old and is still used today. Saddle soap is the only thing I have ever used on any of them. My baseball glove from college is still in use by my son and its 30 years old and its like new. Yep saddle soap is all that ever touched it.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
cfish said:
Saddle soap, don't use but. I have several saddles one is over 90 years old and is still used today. Saddle soap is the only thing I have ever used on any of them. My baseball glove from college is still in use by my son and its 30 years old and its like new. Yep saddle soap is all that ever touched it.

Not quite true......You and you son have been using the oils from your own skin, which is leather, to help preserve the leather. Saddle soap helps but using it regularly imbues the leather with your own oils and is one of the best things you could do for it. By flexing and keeping supple with neutral moisture, good quality leather will last indefenitely.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok then...

I started using the obenaufs on the breadbag straps, as well as the straps on the top flap of the bergen. So far, so good...this stuff is working well so far, but I"ll need a full day to do the work, and since I"m working massive ammounts of OT at work, I"ll have to finish it Saturday.

Pics to follow Saturday night when its complete.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.