AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I remember seeing my first AK47 for sale in the US...there was an AD on the back page of Soldier of Fortune magazine....first thought was 'WTF anti american bastards" but alas I was struck with the beauty and simplicity of AKs. And Ive owned them ever since with a short period of not having any to owning many. AK is my gun of choice.

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
paul_the_welder said:
I wonder were I can get that black plastic stock set. I want it!
Off an original Clayco rifle. I do not think many spares were even imported. I have a fixed stock Clayco and the stock is made of a resin impregnated fiberglass type material. Actually quite sturdy.

Hootbro

·
Registered
368 Posts
I owned a rare one once...had the red phenolic stock, pretty nice and not to many made it over here in that furniture. Sold it to my brother......thats one Id like to have back.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
God that makes me sick.

My first AK back in the 80's was a Clayco black synthetic underfolder.

I was 18, and first read about the rifles in the old "Assault Rifle" annuals that came out back in the Golden Age.

Some fucker stole that rifle and my Valmet M62/S wood stocked rifle back in 1990. :evil:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
That was the ad that changed my life! :grin: I bought a folder right after the article came out.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I had the folder, too. Bought it at a shop in Fayetteville, NC, in 1984.

Fun to play with it, but I really despised the black plastic handguards and pistol grip (I wanted furniture like the "real" AK's).

I remember the receiver being full of metal shavings and human (?) hair, all sticky with the worst smelling oil I've ever encountered. Don't know what kind of oil it was, but the presence of the hair gave me pause!

Sold it a couple years later for peanuts. I wish I'd had a crystal ball to foresee the ban on the horizon, and the way these weapons would appreciate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great post, what was the magazine date? What strikes me is the obvious pre-ban date and 'typical' laquer case ChiCom ammo (?) and de-bayo lugged SKS. I never paid attention to the SKS until the $89 out the door price and shot someone else's first...but it was fully equipped, so to speak, with the technically illegal spike (as were most encountered from gunshop to gunshop).

Granted I've handled and fired thousands of rounds of Chinese 7.62 both copper-washed and laquered and seen and handled neutered SKS's, I never knowingly had any laquer-cased ChiCom prior to the early-mid 90's and had never seen a neutered SKS prior to the Clinton mess. Interesting stuff!

Thanks for the pics, I have a friend who will love them. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Excellent post, and nice article!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts