AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since we all kind of hijacked Fireman's thread about his avatar, here's a new thread where we can discuss "the" magazine carrier.

I'm referring to this picture of what appears to be some home made leather single magazine carriers that this Afghan is wearing.

I'm going to talk to a local leathersmith who makes custom holsters. I want to get some made up for both 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm. I'd also reverse the direction the magazines are carried since I think they'd be much easier to get out and in the best position for easy reloading.

1Gunner thinks that they are for 40 rd. mags, but I don't think so.

Either way, let me see how much/if he can/and how long it's gonna take to make some up.

We can maybe do something like an AK Forum.net exclusive.....maybe even some stamping on the back of the carrier to reflect this.

BUT lets not get ahead of ourselves........I just need to get the ball rolling and talk to him first.

Comments............questions.................

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Templar, sounds good. Thanks for taking the lead on the first AKForum.net group buy. :hail:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Great idea,and I never get tired of looking at that pic!

Think about reversing the direction of the mag carriers,the way they are,the direction of the curve would probably allow for better torso movement and comfort while sitting.But maybe not,I'm in for however you get em! :grin:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
How about left and right sides?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fireman said:
How about left and right sides?

:lol:

Let me talk to him first!

And yes, I've already thought about left and right sides.

I'd have him make the belt loop 1 3/4" wide so it would accomodate any belt.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would love one of these! It would go well with the war rug that I just discovered I needed! :smile:

Do we need a smiley waving a credit card?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy I'm thinking of for this wasn't at the show today, so I'll have to wait a little bit to talk to him, but it's very much on the front burner.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey Templar, how is the show? I'm going tomorrow. I hope there are some deals to be had. I look forward to the Aerospace exhibit too. Thanx for reminding me how close this was to Dulles Center.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caution, the show was OK, fair amount of AK's, no AK ammo beyond some Hungarian MFS that is corrosive and overpriced, and some Romanian soft point which is again, overpriced and more than likely corrosive.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Templar, I think the mags are pointing the right way.
Looking at this pic, you can see that when you lean forward the curve of the mag will let your body move easily.
If the curve faces the front, the bottom of the mag can snag on your pants leg and shove up the whole belt.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Did anyone ever find a source for these?

Would like to pick up a few. Or I guess break out the leather kit and make a few.

·
Registered
882 Posts
When I saw this, first thing that came to my mind was "Awesome!" then I saw the thread was from '06...oh well. I would be interested!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Neutrino45 said:
More mag pouch pics. I had captured it from CNN Presents "Good Morning Afganistan" and "House of War"

I'm sorry that I'm too stupid to get the pictures to work... :sad:
Initially, I thought you probably disabled BBCode in your post. But I tried to link them in and they don't want to load as images.

Weird.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
thorfinn said:
hell with the mag pouches. I want a pair of the mc hammer pants.
I got two pairs, a wool blanket/shawl, and a pakol! :twisted:

Someone with the right skills could make a really cool AK harness out of cordura, sort of in the StG-44 / Afghan style. Those HSGI style shock cord loops with paracord to prevent overextension really make you feel like you're wearing next to nothing with alice style harness padding. Definitely the lightweight way to go.

Leather would be cool too, especially with my pakol, or as my relatives call it... the "hadji hat!"

·
Registered
482 Posts
DarbyFett said:
When I saw this, first thing that came to my mind was "Awesome!" then I saw the thread was from '06...oh well. I would be interested!
Me too I was thinking heck yea id be in for a couple of both calibers.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
On The AK Forum, anything is possible, lets see if we can get the ball rolling again. :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts