AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if orlite mags will fit in the ORF Galil reciever? I haven't built mine yet and I wanted to know before I bought some. Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am new here, but yes they will. The new ones kind of fit tight, but they wear in. I am just regestering my Rapid Fire reciver built Galil-(SAR) as a SBR the thing is going to look down right sexy when "completed"

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have two Factory IMI Galils [AR 361 & ARM 392] and HAD 1 ORF build. The Orlites fit the ORF just fine. In the worst case if it did not fit ,you could file down the mag catch a little to fit. I dont think you would have to do this. The only reason I sold my ORF build is because I had very little money into it and really want a FN2000 BULLPUP! The ORF ran 100%. ORF has shitty service but makes really nice stuff. :smile: Jerod

·
Registered
839 Posts
ORF

I just purchased a Yugo 76 from ORF,- What a bitchn' rifle! When they shipped they forgot the cleaning rod, but no big deal, Todd said to call and talk to one of the girls there and everything would be taken care of. That guy works his tail off, especially when you take into concideration the increased size of his new place and the minimal help that he has working for him. It not that he can't find help, but that in this buisness trustworthy/dependable help is very hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Jerod said:
The ORF ran 100%. ORF has shitty service but makes really nice stuff. :smile: Jerod
Can you enlighten us on the shitty service?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've come across a number of problems relating to Tolerances and Material hardness.

First example, The M76 receivers are all over the place when it comes to tolerances. I and three other people had issue in the placement of the magazine cuts. For example, all of those receivers were machine so the magazine sat to far down in the from end. How much? Over 2.5MM! This problem made the ammo feed under the bullet guide, jamming the weapon.

Another problem, The rear of the receiver was mis-angled by 5 degree, which would force the stock to aim upward at the buttpad end. Also, there were areas that they machined away too much material and not enough material in other areas.

There most recent batch of receivers have one Major problem, the center position of the Bolt is not centered (concentric) to the center line of the barrels. Most were off upwards to 1mm! This will cause the cartridge to jam/wedge into the chamber, not allowing the action to fully lock into battery.

I know what most people are saying when reading this, that i shouldn't complain because they are the only company making the M76 or Galil receivers, but I was fustrated to know that I had to pay more in repairs and re-heattreat then what the receiver originally cost me. Also, If ORF didn't make receivers, someone else would have.

BTW, don't ask about the Galil receivers, there's not enough space in the thread to list the problems.

Hopefully, ORF will invest into a quality control program, then I will happily purchase their receivers once again.

sleestak

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Well, I am going to ask anyhow...what is wrong with the ORF receivers?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, to make an extremely long (non-fiction) story, relatively short, these are just a few problems encountered during a build of ORF Galil receivers.

First, the barrel threads are either too tight or too loose. The loose threads are the worse to deal with. With the barrel hand tighten all the way down; one can shift the barrel back and forth, by a couple degrees by either direction. The tight threads can be fixed by skimming material off the barrel thread.

Another major problem is heat treat. I've seen two receivers that I check the hardness on and both showed hardness (in the Rockwell C scale) in the low 30's. From my understanding, the hardness (at the locking lugs) should be in the low to mid-40s. With soft material hardness, the locking lugs will (and have) mushroom from constant pounding.

Speaking of locking lugs, I saw at least one receiver with the inconsistent locking lug thickness. In otherwords, of the two locking lugs, one lug is thicker then the other. This problem will lead to excessive force and pressure on the longer lug. Energy should be equally spread through both locking lugs, not just one.

Another problem is with the bullet guide. They are installed incorrectly. The main problem is they were installed with improper rotation. The result, the bolt binds or stops, not allowing the bolt to pass, to go into battery.

Some of the minor problems are the pin and rivet holes; they may be off by 1mm.

There. I tried to make the list of problems as short as possible.

Other then the problems listed, ORF makes an outstanding product.

sleestak

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have had some issues with a ORF AK 74 build. The ITM receiver was used, and there is excessive distance between the barrel trunnion and the mag release, and too much distance between magazine release and lower rail. Bolt rides over the topmost cartridge in the magazines. Won't feed reliably. It is at ORF right now for warranty work. There is way too much axial play of the bolt in the carrier as well.

I received an email from Todd telling me there is nothing wrong with the rifle, that he can get it to feed just fine. I have video of it jamming I contemplate sharing with him. I am waiting to see if he makes it right or not. I think the rifle is knackered, and ought to be replaced with a new one.

So it goes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can 100% verify two of the problems sleestak stated about the ORF galil recievers. Randy at Sledgehammer Arms built me up a micro on one of ORF's micro receivers and the bullet guide does cause MAJOR feeding problems but only on steel cased ammo. It fed perfect using standard brass cased ammo. And the mag release holes were drilled way too close to the magwell so no magazine could be inserted at all. The holes had to be welded over and re-drilled. The micro is now back at Randy's b/c he tested it with brass so didn't see the feeding problem. All my plinking ammo is steel cased so it has to feed everything I feed it. It wasn't his fault.

DW

·
Registered
945 Posts
Randy also built mine did a great job and had it back in my grubby hands in 1 week ! No B.S. ! I sent a receiver [ORF] and a Galil parts kit for Todd to build and he kept jerking me around and would not build it . This went on for close to a year ! He promised to do it and would not follow threw. I finally demanded it back . For you guys who are members of the FAL FILES go and do a search on "ORF Lead Times" under the "Reviews" section and follow my saga . Pay close attention to what Todd says and the dates of his and my posts. It speaks for itself .

Good luck ! Jerod :evil:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yep. Still waiting on mine for warranty work. Seems end of June to at least Sept. 19. 3 months.

I hear that Todd is working instead on FAL receivers. I am quite disappointed.

Regards,
Stubb

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
Bullpup Dogg said:
Avoid ORF receivers like the plague....Galil was junk!
Can you elaborate? I mean, I have only spoken to Todd 1 time (Bulletfest 3 yrs ago, and he was busy), but he has brought some good things to market. I just purchased one of his new Galil receivers, that he is under contract to C------ for. Do you have facts the rest of us don't? I understand the issues the early receivers had, but the new ones are supposed to be much improved.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought one of the first ORF Galil receivers - single digit serial number. It needed a few tweeks to get things together - no biggies. Did all the work myself. Built with an excellent FAC Galil AR kit (with new IMI 1-7 barrel) from days gone past and a couple of ARM parts from Botach and Numrich. Never a hiccup: no FTF, FTE, stovepipe.......etc. Still haven't put final paint on it - too many other things to do. :neutral:

I like it a lot and it shoots great :grin:

G

·
0 Posts
Re: ORF

apb2772 said:
I just purchased a Yugo 76 from ORF,- What a bitchn' rifle! When they shipped they forgot the cleaning rod, but no big deal, Todd said to call and talk to one of the girls there and everything would be taken care of. That guy works his tail off, especially when you take into concideration the increased size of his new place and the minimal help that he has working for him. It not that he can't find help, but that in this buisness trustworthy/dependable help is very hard to find.
*edited* man M76 does not have cleaning rod. Yugoslav army used pull trough rope to clean these.

*edited to remove personal attack*

·
Registered
839 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts