AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very happy with my Yugo M72, there is only a few little things that bug me. One being the fact nearly every piece of the rifle is a decent lusturous dark blue/nearly black or maybe it is black with the exception to the forward/barrel trunnion where all the Zastavia stuff is written and the sights mount up and the receiver. The forward trunnion and the receiver look almost as if they were painted black, its tough paint and doesn't come off with lacquer thinner it does chip. I'm tempted to remove the crap but don't know what to use to match the dark finish of the rest of the rifle. It almost has the appearance of a deep bluing, has a decent luster, not dull by any means. Could be that the original military finish has been worn down smooth over the years, anybody got any ideas? Im in the dark here...It wouldn't be beyond my skill levels to take the thing apart and have it redone entirely if thats what it takes.

·
Banned
460 Posts
i use caseys superblue.clean good,warm up the part with a hair dryer and blue.keep going over it until you are happy with it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used super-blue before, was fairly happy with the results. I'm really torn between doing a complete tear down including removal of current rivets or having a gunsmith friend of mine do the complete rifle in a deep blue-black for $150, haven't taken on my first do-it-yourself rifle build but I think it may be my winter project. When I do my first rifle I will do a rust-blue process that ends up with a nice dark iron oxide, it is much more wear resistant than cold bluing. Might have to try to pick up a decent AESB-10 kit and build a "Tabuk" style sniper rifle out of it.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
blue

Some times it will depend on the heat treating
some parts are purple , but you may be able to
blue over with no problem iv'e never tried it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I know what you mean, however Century finished those guns was pretty suckass in my opinion. Every piece is a different shade of black.

Personally I'd probably send it to a company that specializes in gun refinishing, have them blast it, parkerize and gunkote/duracoat/molyresin, whatever. Getting a decent blue out of it now, keeping in mind the parts may have been finished two or maybe three times, will be difficult. A coating like one of those though, properly applied, will give you a similar quality of finish, with excellent durability. And the cost really wouldn't be too bad depending on who you go with. I would think in the region of about $150-300. Slap on some nice furniture and you have one gorgeous rifle.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
parts

I know what your'e talking about,but if you want an original yugo finish it needs to be blue.I use moly resin , but only for a gun that has a black finish.Good luck on your'e mission , i'm sure it will work out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts