AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has probably noticed this before me...

I always hear people bitching about the uncomfortable M70 solid stocks. I could never figure out why the Yugos made a stock that felt uncomfortable to so many people.

Do the US receivers lack a certain slant in the ass end that lowers the degree of angle the stock sits at? I shot a M64 Fixed stock Yugo and the stocks felt fine and had this same lower degree slant that made all the difference.

Man am I bored or what.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AKFAN said:
The M64 stocks are attached differently than the M70 stocks. The M64 ones use stock tangs while the M70 (milled and stamped) used a bolt.
yah, forgot about that, edited my post. I had 2 or 3 different ideas in my head at the time. Thanks

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
Seems like the US receivers lack a certain slant in the ass end that lowers the degree of angle the stock sits at. I shot a M64 Fixed stock Yugo and the stocks felt fine and had this same lower degree slant that made all the difference.
The NDS receivers for the Yugo series of stamped receiver rifles are made with the same back angle as the original Yugo receivers.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HarlanNDS said:
Tyrvidar said:
Seems like the US receivers lack a certain slant in the ass end that lowers the degree of angle the stock sits at. I shot a M64 Fixed stock Yugo and the stocks felt fine and had this same lower degree slant that made all the difference.
The NDS receivers for the Yugo series of stamped receiver rifles are made with the same back angle as the original Yugo receivers.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
Really hmmmm, I must be seeing crap browsing online. Where did I put my crack pipe.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yugo fixed stock

I have thought about re-drilling the thru bolt hole to lower the rear of the stock and then re-fit it to the rear of the receiver, but that would require filling the existing hole first, special drill bits etc. It would be quite a bit of work. What would be nice is for Matt at Ironwood to make us a special run of M70B1 buttstocks with a few more degrees of drop at the butt. As busy as Matt is, that's all he needs is a new project. Until I find a better solution, I'll just adjust the front and rear sights as high as I can and choke up on the receiver when I shoot.

·
Registered
868 Posts
stocks

When I was trying to sell Yugo fixed stocks that I had made with the rear lowered it didn't seem like anyone was interested.

I guess if a "name brand" makes them for twice the price people will buy.

rj308,
If you try to drill a new whole in your stock it probably won't end up exactly where you expect it to. Unless you have a bushing to guide the bit it is really chancy.
I found it better to drill the counter sunk hole in the butt first, then drill the through hole. Then I layed the rest of the stock out and finished it up. That was when I started with a solid piece of wood, of course.

When I made the stocks with the lowered back end I could only lower the counter sink hole so far without ruining the butt pad screw hole's integrity.

It might actually be easier and quicker for you to start from scratch like this. You just need one of those long as_ drill bits, and a band saw, and a belt sander, and some decent air cured hardwood (which has been a bitch to find).

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I always put my nose right up on/near the top cover when I shoot.. that puts my cheek in the notch forward of the comb. Perfectly comfortable for me. My cheek goes on the comb when I use optics and it works well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yugo fixed stock

USMC, I know what you mean about drill bits wandering when you're drilling a deep hole. That's the reason I decided not to destroy a good Yugo buttstock. A lot of people think custom made buttstocks are overpriced,,, until they try to make one. Maybe that straight ass buttstock is what gives the M70B1 such an awesomely bad ass appearance.

·
Registered
868 Posts
stocks

I hope to start making furniture again soon.
Have only really started to catch up on bills having worked now for a couple months.

But now I need a kit to work with. Hell, I may break down and buy a completed rifle , that way I can have something to shoot as well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
SA58 said:
I always put my nose right up on/near the top cover when I shoot.. that puts my cheek in the notch forward of the comb. Perfectly comfortable for me. My cheek goes on the comb when I use optics and it works well.
Thats exactly how i shoot the my m72, i was gonna write the same thing. And this is not intentional, my face/cheak goes right to that location when i should the rifle. I wouldnt say its right up on the top cover, but my cheak weld is not all the way back on the stock either. It fits in that notch forward of the comb perfectly.

Drakin

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you guys want a stock with more drop or a lower comb, USMC is your man. He does good work at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
SA58 said:
Ditto.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My M70b1 beats the hell out of me if I shoot with my normal cheekweld, I have to put my head way forward on the stock to keep from bruising my face. This is the only AK to ever do this too me, and I have problems getting low enough to see through the sights as well, not a issue with other types of AKs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey USMC how much do you ask lowering the butt stock ?

·
Banned
460 Posts
the yugo milled receiver has a slight down slant which gives you a normal cheek weld when shooting the m70.much more comfortable to shoot.i know because i have both.when you set them on top of each other you can see the difference.
rj308,a guy on another board fixed his by trimming a slight angle on the stock where the stock goes into the receiver and attaching it to the trunnion with threaded rod.this fixes having to redrill the stock.you will never know because the threaded rod is hidden.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Templar said:
I have had a couple pre ban all Yugo full stock rifles, and they beat the shit out of my cheek bone.
Mine is still fresh from Wednesday with my yugo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts