AK Rifles banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts
Got mine today! I can't wait to get it to the range and try it out. :grin:

The 1P78 currently listed at Kalinka shows it as having a German Post Reticle, different than the 1P78 reviewed here. Does anyone have confirmation if they are the same, or if the units currently being sold by Kalinka have the stacked chevron reticle? I've searched far and wide for an answer on this but haven't been able to verify. Thanks!

Call Kalinka and ask if they have any of the correct ones left. If your looking to get one, get it NOW...trust me.

packingvol said:
The 1P78 currently listed at Kalinka shows it as having a German Post Reticle
+1 to what JoeMomma said. The Russians switched to sending us the civilian model and the military ones may not be able to get through anymore. You better call and ask for a military one stat, or find one elsewhere, otherwise you'll be outta luck :neutral:

Good luck getting through to the guy. Because of that reason alone, I will not give him any more of my business. Kashtan was missing the gold band thing and was wondering if he could locate one, if not, I would've been happy w/ at least a response...... multiple emails btw.

I translated the entire Kashtan manual (using Google translate and my wits :wink:). It won't be perfect, but I think it's damn good (for free) :mrgreen: If any native Russian speakers wanted to point out my screw ups, that would be very helpful!

Whoever wants it, PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you the Word document. :smile:

Took out the 74 today to confirm the BZO in the scope was still good. I have not touched it since November, and the POI was still good:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

At 200M, I ran into an issue. My POA was still the same, but the rounds grouped left, and higher than I liked, so I made additional adjustments to get it squared away:

I was feeling confident enough after adjustments at 200M, to try thirty rounds, prone unsupported in sustained fire. Nineteen hits...not bad, and better than my efforts with irons in the same firing position:

If you have one of these scopes, and want to BZO it the way it was intended, be sure and check your POI at 200M, then make final adjustments from there before confirming at 300, or 400M. My group at 300M would have been better off the bench, but I wanted to see how it did from the prone unsupported. Keeping your eye exactly where it needs to be under sustained fire takes a bit of practice, but really helps with the sight picture. I like this scope best out of the other AK specific Russian designed optics I've tried. Its a damn fine optic, and VERY worth having.

Rob, got you covered.

I should probably go back to the PO 3,5x21 thread and edit my own data, because ITS WRONG.

it took me a little while to figure out, what exactly was the case that I was having with my Kashtan as well- at distances between 200 and 400 meters.

So...just like you, i had a little trouble CONSISTENTLY hitting the man size silhouette. My POA was consistent, just as i thought- center of mass. But what does that mean exactly? Think about this. do you have a REPEATABLE POA? you dont have a 9x sniper scope, but a 2x, so even if you are a little bit off while engaging targets at 400-600 meters, you will miss.

my shots, just like yours, were hitting the man-size targets' head at distances between 200 and 300 meters, and about ten per cent going OVER the target.

So. whats going on>? We all have read the manuals, and understand that to properly zero your 1P78 AND PO 3,5x21 you have to be 22-24 centimeters high at 100 meters. Now lets look at the ballistics of the 53 Gr 7N6.
-maximum distance to the projectile's maximum height (or bullets peak of its trajectory) is just over 200 meters. The maximum height is roughly 40 centimeters, which is about 16 inches.
You see, using PO 3,5x21 you dont have to worry about your POA not being your POI, since it is equipped with a tripled hash-marked cross, indicating BDC for 200 and 300 meters, respectively....so instead of always using center of mass POA, i would cheat and just use the hash marks for the appropriate distances.

now lets get back to Kashtan, which does not have that reticle, so you have to use 400 meter zero. The rifles are AK-74 with roughly 16 inch barrels. Rifle is zeroed 22 cm high @ 100 meters. Using the center 400 meter chevron and now aiming at the center of mass of a humanoid silhouette target @ 200 meter where will your bullets strike?

This is where you, Rob and I were having issues. Why? Because the projectiles are still rising.
100 meters- 22 cm high
150 meters- 30 cm high
200 meters- 39 cm high!!!

thats the 7N6 peak of the rainbow, and its happening between 200 and 300 meters if the scope is zeroed according to the proper instructions. Thats right about 16 inches. Take a measuring tape, and place the bottom of it on your center of mass, your chest. The top is right at your nose.

so there you have it. so-much for so called "center of mass". Would any military jeopardize the fact that the probability of hitting your target goes down by nearly 60%? (your head is approximately 3 times narrower then your chest, and hence the bullets are hitting right at the HEAD area you have much higher chance of miss) Of course not. Its because your POINT OF AIM IS WRONG

Zen and I have been talking about this issue for a while. I have been doing extensive tests with my SVD and proper way to use the PSO-1 scope. Its almost the same issue. Place your target @ 500 meters, set your turret at "5" for 500 meters, use 1991 153 Gr. 7N1, aim for the head to make that sniper shot, only to realize that you will entirely miss the human target.

Point of aim is the key. Soviet doctrine has always been taught to aim for the BELT BUCKLE. Not only it is repeatable, but it is not SOMEWHERE in the middle of 14x18 object (your chest), its right above the crotch area, so you have much more definitive point of aim.

NOw, lets go back to the SVD at 500 meters, with the missed head shot, and place the first chevron on the belt bucle. Where will the bullet strike? Right around the upper chest. Why? because the scope was calibrated to do this.
Same with Kashtan.
@ 200 meters, bullet is still rising, so if you aim at the chest area your round will impact much higher, possibly missing the target. Now aim at the Belt Buckle. At that point the round will strike right in the upper chest, right below the neck. At 300 meters the round is still about 30 cm (12 inches) high, and will strike right around solar plex area. 400 meters you will be ripping his lower intestines.

anyways, hope this helps, took a little while to figure out, but in the end pretty straight forward. beer time

Anton, thats a damn good explanation. I've been training for over twenty five years shooting center mass, not the belt buckle, so I'll be trying this again using the bottom of the target as my POA.

voron said:
Zen and I have been talking about this issue for a while.
On my own I've spent some time compiling and calculating and creating diagrams and tables for this stuff. It's pretty complicated (for example, you're absolutely right about the bullet strike being 38 cm @ 200 m, but did you notice it'll actually be LOWER on the reticle? It's only 6.5 MOA above the chevron @200 m, compared to 8.3 MOA above chevron @100 m).

If you guys want I can share my stuff with you. I have:

- a file showing trajectory and distance above/below aimpoint in cm and MOA
- a file showing where you'd have to aim at various distances for an upper thoracic hit [which I could quickly modify into showing constant aimpoint and where the hits roam to]

Lemmie know if that'd be helpful.

Excellent! It almost looks like you could BZO one of these scopes at 25M with your POI at the very bottom edge of a "E" target, then check at other ranges.
I'll check out my scope again next time. and use the very bottom of the target (belt buckle) as my POI, then post the results.

I think I'll be fine where its at now, I just need to adjust my POI.

JoeMomma said:
Excellent! It almost looks like you could BZO one of these scopes at 25M with your POI at the very bottom edge of a "E" target, then check at other ranges.
A quick calculation shows it should be 0.4 cm high at 25 m (so basically, yeah! :mrgreen: ).

When I was zeroing mine, I was so far off I was using paper at 19 m to get close enough to hit at 100 m.

CumbiaDude said:
JoeMomma said:
A quick calculation shows it should be 0.4 cm high at 25 m (so basically, yeah! :mrgreen: ).

When I was zeroing mine, I was so far off I was using paper at 19 m to get close enough to hit at 100 m.
That's going to make the zeroing process a little less tiring on the legs :)

Thanks for running down the math.

Eric

Although I'm not using a Kashtan here, I tried the belt buckle method while confirming my BZO with the MPi-KM. As you can see from the picture, when I aimed at the belt buckle with the setting on "battle sight", the hits at 100M were CM.
I then set the sight to 100M, and used CM for POA, and got exactly the correct I was looking for.
I'll re-check the Kashtan zero next time, but I think it should be good.

So the proper way to zero is to get a POA/POI at 100m with the "+" and then aim for the belt buckle with the tips of the chevrons after that?

Thought Zen posted somewhere that the distance between the "+" and the top chevron equated to 22cm at 100m.

Thanks

Eric

If you use an "E" target like I do, use the tip of the chevron and aim only at the belt buckle at 100M. Your POI should be higher than you POA and strike the upper chest region.
Once you are satisfied, move to 200, then 300M or more if you can get it, and make any final adjustments as you see fit. Remember, your POA is the belt buckle, or literally the center of mass on a biped when you include the legs.

JoeMomma said:
If you use an "E" target like I do, use the tip of the chevron and aim only at the belt buckle at 100M. Your POI should be higher than you POA and strike the upper chest region.
Once you are satisfied, move to 200, then 300M or more if you can get it, and make any final adjustments as you see fit. Remember, your POA is the belt buckle, or literally the center of mass on a biped when you include the legs.
I'm tracking the belt buckle POA with the chevrons once zeroed. I'm just trying to confirm if a matching POA/POI at 100m with the "+" will get the proper BZO for chevron use afterwards. I know the "22cm POI above POA at 100m" bit, but I'd rather not have to break out a tape measure at the range if I know a matching POA/POI at 100m with the "+" will get it done :)

Thanks

Eric

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.