AK Rifles banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts
Doug, just get an Aimpoint and be done with it :mrgreen:

Discussion starter · #43 ·
TX-Zen said:
Kashtan an Obzor are at the top of my list for optics this year

Z
You are going to love the Kashtan Zen. I think someone had one for sale in the optics EE recently.

Voron, glad you love the PO. It is an excellent optic as well. The clamp on yours in different because you have the illuminated version. Mine was the older non-illuminated version. The clamp on yours is much better IMO.

Miglan20 said:
You are going to love the Kashtan Zen. I think someone had one for sale in the optics EE recently.
I hope to get a Kashtan for my new RPK74 within the next few weeks. :bh:

There is still one for sale on the AK Files marketplace board.

I think you will like it, it's head and shoulders above most other modern AK-ready sights on the current market. It offers true mil-spec quality, has a great laser-etched reticle that is black in the daytime but uses tritium for an automatic change to a soft illuminated green glow that always works night or low light with no battery needed. The fully coated glass provides a crystal clear FOV under low magnification so it's idea for the performance envelope of both the rifle and the round. 1P78 is light weight but also rugged, fits perfectly centered on the rifle and slides on easily with a true military clamp design that is very easy to adjust. It also has the correct mil-spec hammer painted gray finish, comes with a nice padded camo carrying case and looks right at home even on a high end or well-detailed Russian AK-74 rifle. Just my personal opinion, but I think the 1P78 truly works as good as it looks and not since the 1P29 have we been able to buy a true government adopted mil-spec Russian made AK-specific combat rated telescopic riflescope of this quality standard that really is the "real deal".

Tantal said:
and not since the 1P29 have we been able to buy a true government adopted mil-spec Russian made AK-specific combat rated telescopic riflescope of this quality standard that really is the "real deal".

OT I guess, but why does the 1P29 have a 1.5m range finder instead of 1.7m?

Z

I have read that the designers at Tochpribor Design Bureau determined it was more accurate to measure a human target at long distance using a scale calibrated for just 1.5 meters, which is roughly from ground level up to the average man's shoulders. It was found that in combat the end user would accidently cut all or part of the human target's head off when making their measurements using the standard choke-style rangefinder. I can certainly understand why, since at several hundred meters the head can be a fairly indistinct part of the body. Plus, moving human targets in combat environments have a habit of bending over when running from one cover to the other. They don't tend to stand up nice and straight for you, hehe! Since the 1P29 is a combat optic and not a sniper optic, I think this holds some validity.

Miglan20 said:
I have bought and sold quite a few AK optics, and the 1P78 is one that will never leave the stable.
Yeah, agree with you, me too!

Tantal said:
I have read that the designers at Tochpribor Design Bureau determined it was more accurate to measure a human target at long distance using a scale calibrated for just 1.5 meters, which is roughly from ground level up to the average man's shoulders. It was found that in combat the end user would accidently cut all or part of the human target's head off when making their measurements using the standard choke-style rangefinder. I can certainly understand why, since at several hundred meters the head can be a fairly indistinct part of the body. Plus, moving human targets in combat environments have a habit of bending over when running from one cover to the other. They don't tend to stand up nice and straight for you, hehe! Since the 1P29 is a combat optic and not a sniper optic, I think this holds some validity.
this makes sense. I was thinking about the curvature of men while in motion, as one is never stood at full height as in motion.....thanks for clarifying man!

Well thanks to Torx I'm in the Kashtan club now (Thanks!), I bought his and it arrived today. Kudo's on the packing job too, it's nice to see someone take good care when selling. I know I appreciate it, thanks for that also Torx.

I don't have too much to add to Miglan's fine review other than to say this scope is extremely cool. Light, sexy and perfect for a modern 74. The tritium seems brighter than the Rakurz, I notice it ever so slightly even in the daylight depending on the background.

In the dark it's distinct but cool, not overpowering and no glare that can sometimes happen with illuminated POSP optics. The green is easy on the eyes too. I really like the fact that modern Russian optics are using tritium to such a degree, I've really come to appreciate the simplicity and ease of use. I also like the built-in lense cap...it's got a nice feel to it and it also conveniently rotates 360 degrees so you can put the open cap where you want it. Neat feature.

Can't say this is going to displace the 1P29 as my favorite 5.45 optic but it is definitely a quality scope that's probably a tad more modern and simpler to use. The 1P29 is great but I could see how the inverted reticule might through people off, plus if you're actually trying for precision bench shooting it's not the easiest reticule to use. The 1P78 is a little more conventional in that regard.

Thanks again for the great review Mig and thanks Torx for hooking me up. :beer:

Cap rotated to the side, for example

Kashtan, 1P29 and hulkomaniac PO 3.5x21P, all calibrated for 5.45. Just missing the Zeiss ZFK

Z

Got it zeroed today and yes indeed, the Kashtan is a heck of an optic. Mine has a very yellow tint...maybe even more yellow than the Romanian LPS/TIP2 4x24. I couldn't tell from your pics Mig but do you have any yellowish tint? I'm wonding if mine is an odball. Doesn't affect function and the view is very clear just not what I expected.

PatriaPovo and Auzie were impressed too. I think they are going to strongarm their significant other's into getting free Kashtans

1P78
Had some trouble with the camera focus, also this is a tad more yellow than it really looks

By comparison, here's Auzie's Zeiss ZFFK:
(He was tearing it up with the Zeiss today, and yeah, that's a hell of an optic too)

Hamming it up with Partizan

Mig you should write your review over on arfcom again. It's really well done and I can't say anything you haven't already, so to me it makes sense to either post the review again or see if there's some way to bump the original out of the archive.

Z

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Great pics TX, and yes mine has a yellowish tint as well. Just the coatings they use. Mine is more pronounced on different backgrounds and such. Sometimes I hardly notice it and others it stands out. Looks like fun - shooting steel is always fun! :smile:

dammit Zen you once again gonna go out and make me blow ore money of flimsey Russian optics...you and Miglan both... :wink:

great pix by the way! :allright:

Miglan20 said:
Great pics TX, and yes mine has a yellowish tint as well.
Special polarized filter coating, like the orange filter attachment you use on PSO-1's, but not quite as dramatic. It helps block ultra-violet and blue spectrum light wave radiation which provides the user with a higher contrast, clearer FOV with better definition. Similar to the principle employed with Blu-blocker/Eagle Eye/HD Vision sunglasses do. Blue light waves tend to irritate your eyes because they are not really fine tuned to handle it, and this causes haze and fuzzy vision at long distance. By blocking blue light, the filtering greatly reduced eye fatigue, squinting and targets appear clearer, sharper and the FOV seems much brighter. I keep those filters on all my PSO-1's, because my eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight due to macular edema and cataract surgeries, and it really helps my performance and keeps the eye strain down during long range sessions.

I need to get one of these. Its interesting about the 1.5 scale for measuring distance too. I have a Yugo made Zrak scope on a Yugo mauser that has the same marking for distance, and I always thought it was for hunting animals...looks like this policy was adopted by others as well.

Now I just gotta raise the money...

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.