AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumors are spreading that the Respect for Marriage Act that passed the house recently and is heading for the Senate is going to include language from the Assault Weapons Ban H.R. 1808 into the H.R. 8404 bill. They are trying to sneak in the Assualt Weapons Ban through a bill that protects same-sex marriages. Just wanted you all to know and stay vigilant. Thanks

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
So I brought up HR 8404 and read through the basic act, then tried to read through the amendments and as far as I was able to see there was nothing that appeared to be anything but the defining of marriage. I am not saying that I didn't miss anything, but the law as proposed and the amendments don't seem to be a back door (pun intended) gun ban.

That is not to say that a new amendment couldn't be added as many "elected officials" love putting hand grenades into bills that they don't support.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I watched the video.

The lawyer guy was very anxious to go through his discussion points against the assault weapons ban bill.

The tie to the respect for marriage bill is a little weak, termed as "there is a rumor that they might try to put the assault weapons ban into the respect for marriage bill". That's plausible. They would do something like that. And previous rumors were that they would lock down everything, mandate masks, and try to mandate vaccines and vaccine passports...
...and they did all those things. They also banned bump stocks and are in the process of banning braces. This is the kind of stuff that they do, so it's worth at least making a mental note when someone says they might do something.

The thing that screws it up for the respect for marriage bill is that it was already voted on in the house, and passed. If they add the assault weapons ban, and then pass it in the senate with a "how can you homophobes vote against respect for marriage?" argument, I think that's too big of a difference to resolve in a conference committee, with the version they passed in the house, without any of that stuff in it.
I could be wrong. But even if I am right, they do whatever the heck they want, and laws don't apply to them anyway.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I watched the video.

The lawyer guy was very anxious to go through his discussion points against the assault weapons ban bill.

The tie to the respect for marriage bill is a little weak, termed as "there is a rumor that they might try to put the assault weapons ban into the respect for marriage bill". That's plausible. They would do something like that. And previous rumors were that they would lock down everything, mandate masks, and try to mandate vaccines and vaccine passports...
...and they did all those things. They also banned bump stocks and are in the process of banning braces. This is the kind of stuff that they do, so it's worth at least making a mental note when someone says they might do something.

The thing that screws it up for the respect for marriage bill is that it was already voted on in the house, and passed. If they add the assault weapons ban, and then pass it in the senate with a "how can you homophobes vote against respect for marriage?" argument, I think that's too big of a difference to resolve in a conference committee, with the version they passed in the house, without any of that stuff in it.
I could be wrong. But even if I am right, they do whatever the heck they want, and laws don't apply to them anyway.
Well posted, I agree. Stay vigilant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts