AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for seismic intrusion detection devices, aerial dropped and ground based VN era. I have a few various pieces but looking for more. Looking for the missle shaped aerial dropped torpedos(sometimes camo painted) and the transmitter that mounts on top, also wanting literature manuals,pictures,receivers, what have you? Propaganda items also.
I know this isn't the WTB section but my want is so specialized it seemed appropriate since this is one of the more sophisticated forums.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Boss,

I may have some older Sensor Control and Management Platoon (SCAMP) doctrinal publications floating around at work.

I am not sure if that is what you are looking but I know the Marine Corps SCAMP concept has doctrinal and operational ties to the Vietnam War.

Unfortunately I am not as familiar with "sensor" history - vis-à-vis the Marine Corps - as I probably should be.

Let me know.

Semper Fidelis
Nick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MCGunner said:
Boss,

I may have some older Sensor Control and Management Platoon (SCAMP) doctrinal publications floating around at work.

I am not sure if that is what you are looking but I know the Marine Corps SCAMP concept has doctrinal and operational ties to the Vietnam War.

Unfortunately I am not as familiar with "sensor" history - vis-à-vis the Marine Corps - as I probably should be.

Let me know.

Semper Fidelis

Sounds interesting but a little above the hardware level I'm looking for. Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Check American Science and Surplus, I know they had some hand deployed ones that looked like little plastic bushes not too long ago. www.sciplus.com.

If you don't see them listed online, try calling their Geneva, IL store, and ask for Megan- she is one of the managers and has been there long enough she will know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dawg180 said:
Check American Science and Surplus, I know they had some hand deployed ones that looked like little plastic bushes not too long ago. www.sciplus.com.

If you don't see them listed online, try calling their Geneva, IL store, and ask for Megan- she is one of the managers and has been there long enough she will know what you are talking about.
Thanks Dawg,
I actually did order a few of those antennas a while back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another fan of Project Igloo White, the planting of sensors on the Ho Chi Minh trail to detect toop and materiel movements. I thought I was the only guy collecting that stuff.

One current source of a couple different variations of the ADSIDs is Indiana Surplus. Check out their website at:

http://www.indianaarmysurplus.com/

Go to collectibles, then War Memorabilia, then scroll down a bit for two different sensors. One is the larger camo painted version with the folding drag fins, which has always been a hard one to find. Call and talk to Troy or Jim.

I have never found any of the electronic internals for the ADSIDs on the open market although I'm sure some have gotten out. The best examples I've seen on display were at the Air Force Museum at Dayton and the Washington Navy Yard Museum in D.C. Both had nice cutaways of the sensors to show the electronics inside.

I also haven't found any manuals or technical pubs on the devices themselves and would like to see what's out there. Most people still think these things are bombs or rockets when they turn up but the real story is much more interesting than explosive ordnance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ordnance said:
Another fan of Project Igloo White, the planting of sensors on the Ho Chi Minh trail to detect toop and materiel movements. I thought I was the only guy collecting that stuf.

No, it's us two, I guess.
I have a a few(100's) propaganda leaflets which is good but I like hardware too,I do have a few monkey turds. It's encouraging this stuff is in a museum at least I know it does exist post war.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, as you say, it might not strictly be ordnance, but at least two of us are having fun here. I'm afraid I never got into the propaganda pamphlets. I guess I viewed them more as "software" and I'm a "hardware" kind of collector.

I also have a couple of the monkey poop transmitters, and for those reading this who are unfamiliar with them, here's a photo:

Officially, they were a "straight peat moss stick" but were obviously supposed to look like animal droppings for camouflage purposes. I guess you can't call a piece of shit a piece of shit in officialspeak. In the cutaway example on the right you can see the 3 ni-cad batteries that powered it on the upper end and all the potted electronic transmitter components below.

My favorite trail sensor is the only one I have that actually has electronics remaining inside. As the shroud around the electronics is clear instead of camouflage painted, I presume this was a classroom demonstrator. It's about 4 1/2" in diameter and 3' long. The camo suspension lines on the right end were attached to an open style parafoil chute that was supposed to slow the descent and hang up in the jungle tree canopy, allowing the sensor to hang above moving troops and listen.

I'm not sure about the time line, but have been told this was the last style of sensor employed. The early "rocket" style with the rubber antenna were supposed to bury themselves in the ground and transmit a locator beacon when ground vibrations triggered them. The type below was an actual microphone that could pick up truck noise and talking troops as they walked the trail. The screened band around the center of the device is the microphone intake and they say the sensitivity was apparently quite good with the monitoring personnel able to listen to detailed conversations of the NVA troops walking by.

On the far left end of the cylinder is the ni-cad battery stack that powered the device and to the right of the microphone are the 4 PRC-25-like blade antennas that unroll after deployment. And just so we don't get too far off the subject of ordnance, I noticed for the first time today when I unplugged the battery package an indicator lamp position marked "detonator installed", so I presume these had a self-destruct charge to destroy them after the batteries were too low or the device was tampered with. Most electronic destructors were just a detonator and not a real HE charge as a detonator was usually sufficient to destroy the sensitive electronics and leave them useless to the enemy. I'm not sure if this was the case here and I might just have to dig a little deeper into the chassis and see what was there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your turd is much larger than mine...hehe...
Mine are smaller with a metal wire antenna 2-3" long sticking out the end at a 90* angle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh great, now there are slight subvariations in turds I need to find for the collection. And yours may be smaller, but at least mine don't have a 3" bent wire sticking out at 90 degrees....ouch!

But seriously, do you have a photo of the type you have or any documentation to differentiate it from the T-115L(V)/USQ model transmitter. Always something to learn, especially in a subject that so little is written or known about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With some cooperation of my wife's menu and a few MRE's and fabrication of a few 90* bend .055" coat hangers and batteries injested at just the right time I may be able to provide you with a fresh example of the smallish "Monkey turd" siesmic device. -lol :mrgreen:
On the serious side I will look around- I think I may an extra turd -sealed in a real thick zip-lock of course! You non -seismic savy turd guys may think these things don't smell like turd's but of course they smell like turds-it would be a real give away if a VC picked up a turd and not smelling monkey shit, bit into it to make sure it wasn't some spy device (or a Tootsie Roll -relished by the VC) and found batteries ,transistors,resistors,doiodes,rectifier bridges and the like- :lol:

I guess we need to compare turds ,I don't have a "dog turd" other than a multiple Basset hound turds that has no seismic detector properties,(unless these Bassets are VC spies) but I constantly have to pick up and throw away as I get no seismic feed backfrom them.... :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still looking for clandestine seismic and aerial dropped seismic stuff/literature. Propaganda items/leaflets too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Somewhere in the basement I have what I think is a repeater for an intrusion
alarm from the Vietnam era. It appears to be a prototype, low serial number,
etc. I accumulate spy and sabotage items from WW2. Got anything to trade?
Thanks,
Bill

Boss429 said:
Looking for seismic intrusion detection devices, aerial dropped and ground based VN era. I have a few various pieces but looking for more. Looking for the missle shaped aerial dropped torpedos(sometimes camo painted) and the transmitter that mounts on top, also wanting literature manuals,pictures,receivers, what have you? Propaganda items also.
I know this isn't the WTB section but my want is so specialized it seemed appropriate since this is one of the more sophisticated forums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts