AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

First I'd like to say that I have been lurking in the shadows for some time and this is a great forum. This being my first post I guess I should give some background.......... I live in the northern IL, have yet to build a kit, bought a few about two years ago that have been in storage. I also like long walks in the park! javascript:emoticon(':grin:')
Very Happy

Anyhow, I figure it's about time to do something with them. I'm faced with a few questions or choices......... and I'm looking for advice.

#1 I could just sell the kits and buy a built unit, however it seems the quality is hit or miss and the mark up is pretty good. However this would be one stop shopping, ....have an FFL order the full gun , transfer and off to shot. I would rather build my own but the FFL thing around here is strange.....they all want $50+ per receiver, which I find to be pretty high for some paperwork.

#2 all I need is a press and drill press, some tools from AK builder and I will be able to handle the work, I've watched the videos and links...been around tools all my life.... seems pretty straight forward.

#3 Anyone know a good FFL around Northern IL/Sourtthern WI that is into AK building and a friendly? I asked a couple local gun shops and they want $55-100 per receiver for the FFL paperwork..... I would prefer to deal with someone that is "into" the builds..... Seems the shops around here dont want to talk to you unless you are going to buy a $1,000 plus 1911.

I remember when I bought these kits a couple years ago there was always build parties....seems those have cooled down due to the kit prices going up.....anyone know of a build party in IL please let me know.

Regards,
Chewy

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Hey chewy, welcome to the forum.

I suffer the same location malady... $50+ a percentage is absolutely ridiculous on a transfer. (GAT guns?? they can suck it) On top of that they act like they're doing you a favor. About 10 minutes over the IL/WI border is:

Paddock Lake Sporting Goods.
23522 75th St.
Paddock Lake WI 53168

It's a bait shop, gun shop, supply shop, taxidermy shop on the eastern outskirt of town off of Hwy 50 on the north side. Ask for Randy. I can't presume to say what he'll charge you, but it should only be about $20-25 per transfer. If you order several receivers he might even give you a price break. Cash is king, but he also takes credit.

Randy's an easy going guy, and a square dealer... no shenanigans of any kind. Can't recommend him enough. He's about the closest I've found that had a fair transfer rate and wasn't a pain in the ass to deal with. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Mosher Gun Shop in Dekalb, Illinois is where you want to go.

They routinely have Nodakspud receivers in stock. Since they stock them they charge a little more than the Nodak price, but their service is great and on top of that their gunsmith has built many, many AKs. He helped me build my first, and has tons of good advice on what to look for.

www.moshergunshop.com

They do post here very occasionally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dawg,

Is this place still open? I emailed them and no reply?

The address is a house and no mention of a shop anywhere on the property and no name on the mail box?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The web site shows the address as "9445 Keslinger Rd
Dekalb, IL 60115" and google earth shows that just south of dekalb's downtown off of route 23. Looks like farm fields all around.

If that sounds correct, and your at 9445 Keslinger, consider just going up to the door and knocking. Home based ffl's are more rare than in the past but they're still out there.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Honestly, I think your better off selling the kits and buying a rifle that's already been built. :wink: Kits are expensive now - Actual rifles don't seem to bring their true value.

just my two cents

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Build'em man!
John Wayne would want you to if he were still alive.

Are you more North East or North West of the IL centerline?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm out of the western suburbs of Chicago in Plainfield.

Ya I drove out there, used to go to school out there. It was a nice day so i took a ride to this magical Mosher joint. The driveway was a good 1/4 mile long..... didn't feel like driving up on someones property unannounced asking if they sold black guns and crates of ammo etc! lol There was nothing posted, no name on the mail box. Figured the website was probably from years ago. Or maybe they are a kitchen table, but the website doesn't sound like one?

Oh well...... I have been thinking of buying pre- built. I bought these 2 years ago from Bocefus and paid extra for hand selected, best of the pile...and these are flawless...should get top dollar and allow for me to purchase a built gun.

I'm thinking maybe get a couple Siaga's and I need a 5.45 gun as Im sitting on 6K rounds of 5,45 surplus ;-)

Chewy

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i bought an ak once, wasnt happy with the fit, finish so i sold it to a buddy and bought a couple kits to build myself!! some things you just need to build yourself!!!

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
ninedeucexj said:
Thanks guys,

Dawg, this Mosher place looks up my alley......... Im going to have to give them a call.
Yes, it is open. All the employees work full time jobs so they are only open 7-9pm Monday, 4-8pm Friday, 4-6pm Saturday, other hours by appointment. Their email is [email protected], and I also have the personal email of the owner, I will send it to you here.

The phone just rings through to the house if no one is working. The shop is actually behind the house (there is a suite of armor in front of it, it looks like an old chicken coop at first). It is about as ;mom and pop' as you can get.

Sending you an email now...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
ninedeucexj said:
I'm out of the western suburbs of Chicago in Plainfield.

Ya I drove out there, used to go to school out there. It was a nice day so i took a ride to this magical Mosher joint. The driveway was a good 1/4 mile long..... didn't feel like driving up on someones property unannounced asking if they sold black guns and crates of ammo etc! lol There was nothing posted, no name on the mail box. Figured the website was probably from years ago. Or maybe they are a kitchen table, but the website doesn't sound like one?

Oh well...... I have been thinking of buying pre- built. I bought these 2 years ago from Bocefus and paid extra for hand selected, best of the pile...and these are flawless...should get top dollar and allow for me to purchase a built gun.

I'm thinking maybe get a couple Siaga's and I need a 5.45 gun as Im sitting on 6K rounds of 5,45 surplus ;-)

Chewy
Hahah I had to same feeling as I was trying to find the place. I thought I was lost but my navigation system told me it was the place. No signs or anything. If you drive down the driveway they have a small shop with a decent selection of AK's. They are real friendly folks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Howdy folks,

Yep we are sure out in the country. Been in business for over 50 years and still going. The reason for no shop name on mailbox is the grandfathered zoning. Since we are zoned AG, the township told us no signs for the shop. So if you come out and the mailbox has 9445 on it your at the right place.

We can be contacted through the board here or at the webmaster email that Dawg180 put up. The shop owner is Deb, and her email is [email protected]

Brandon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts