AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Norinco SKS from a friends widow. I'm not sure when he originally purchased it though. He just passed about 3 weeks ago and was in his 60's and worked the last 30 years in a gun shop. I'm pretty sure he worked in a different gun shop before that, the same one who imported the rifle. The rifle is marked NACO Ridgefield NJ Which is for navy arms company. That store hasn't been around in at least 7 years now. There is no import date on the rifle. The only way I was able to tell it's age was to decode the serial number adding the first 2 digits in my case to the number 1956. Mine was built in 1968 according to this. Is it safe to assume that the gun didn't just sit in china of vietnam until after 1989? The reason I'm asking is because of the bayonet. The thing doesn't have a bayonet on it but still has the lug and it was my understanding that as long as it was imported before 1989 the bayonet is OK. I'm thinking that it was probably imported before 1989 just because of the fact it was made 21 years before that.

·
Technical Advisor
15,614 Posts
If the rifle is an arsenal 26 then the 1956 plus the 7th and 8th digit from the RIGHT(oops corrected per post below- brain f*rt) addition works. On other models/arsenals it is not a known method to date manufacture. No real way of telling when (date/year) it was imported which is the bayonet issue. Many folks do not worry about it and put a bayo on it. Not many BATFE bayo spies around.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure it's actually the 7th and 8th digits from the right, assuming it has an 8th digit. Mine is 12xxxxxx meaning it's a 1968 since it's an arsenal 26 gun. It sucks not being to know for sure when the thing was imported but I kind of feel the same way you do about the bayonet. I can prove the thing was made in '68 and it would only make sense that the thing was brought in to the country within the next 21 years. That's a long frickin' time. I'm gonna go ahead and get a bayonet for it and at the same time get one of those bi pods that attach to the bayonet lug. I think the bi pod is gonna be more practical but would still like to have the bayonet to put on every now and then because that's how it was meant to be originally.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would add the bayo and stay away from the bi pod. You have a SKS that is still factory correct, meaning no one changed the stock or put a extended mag on it to make it a AK. I am a purist SKS fan and that's why I would leave it alone. But to each his own.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only want the bipod for occasional range use. It's just easier to use and keep still than a couple of sand bags when trying to make some really long shots. As far as being original, I'm actually a little disappointed. I was looking around last night and noticed a little discrepancy with my gun. I thought the thing was all original but according to the information I found about what numbers should be on it and where the sling should go this stock is not the correct one for the gun. My rifle has the sling on the bottom of the stock, not the side, and the numbers on it are what looks like UP 1899. The number 1899 doesn't appear anywhere on the rifle. I'm pretty sure that the stock should have the numbers 59332 according to what I read. If anyone can confirm whether not not this is the correct stock that would be great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts