AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local weapon advertised for sale. Considering purchasing as the rifle comes with several mags and 1500 rounds of ammo. I don't care for the 20" barrel. Can it be shortened to 16" and not effect the gas pressure to the point of having operating problems? It has aftermarket Ion RPK stock, is the receiver tanged so a folding stock could be fitted? I had a Sporter-Hunter and was stuck with the oem stock due to the receiver not having provisions for stock upgrade. Overall opinion of rifle appreciated too. Don't get on here much but the site upgrades are excellent. Thanks in advance for comments.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Instead of shortening it, find a MAK90 with a straight cut receiver. The only folders that can be added without major receiver mods are a reduced thickness Romy or EG side folder, or an Ace style with the adapter. If you don't have the indents in the receiver already, You can't easily install an original underfolder. I have an NHM91 that has been outfitted with Russian laminated RPK stocks and has the bipod. It's a sweet rifle and garners many compliments when it goes out to play. If it's a smoking deal, buy it and trade the rifle for what you want.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM sent. Side folder would be fine. Rifle has Midwest Quad rail, Ion RPK stock and handguard, Magpul AFG, bipod, 16 mags.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Local weapon advertised for sale. Considering purchasing as the rifle comes with several mags and 1500 rounds of ammo. I don't care for the 20" barrel. Can it be shortened to 16" and not effect the gas pressure to the point of having operating problems? It has aftermarket Ion RPK stock, is the receiver tanged so a folding stock could be fitted? I had a Sporter-Hunter and was stuck with the oem stock due to the receiver not having provisions for stock upgrade. Overall opinion of rifle appreciated too. Don't get on here much but the site upgrades are excellent. Thanks in advance for comments.
How much are they asking? That package is worth quite a bit, even if you don't like a few things about it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought the package. Will probably list the rifle in complete firearms for sale. It is a nice piece. Needs muzzle brake. I would have used the long Midwest rail but it doesn't look bad now. The receiver is heavier and the barrel appears to be larger diameter.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Just an FYI, that rifle is only worth about $600. The accessories with it dont really add much if any value. Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Ammo is worth 300.
Thumbhole rifle you don't like the length of, about 600 as stated.
16 mags? 160+ depending on what they are.

You tossed $1300

Could have bought a brand new Bulgarian Arsenal almost any current model. Dozens to choose from and the same goes for Russian Saigas both in the $900-$1400 range.
Or you could have bought a brand new Polish Archer and a half dozen or more new ((10)) waffle mags for $1300
Or you could have bought a brand new Russian Molot Vepr 1V with 3 45 rd mags for $1300
Or you could have bought BOTH the brand new Serbian Zastava M92 7.62 and M85 5.56 pistols and 10 mags each caliber OR skip the mags and get 2 Tax Stamps to SBR both for $1300

Slow your roll on your 2nd gun purchase. We will all be happy to help steer you in the direction of the best stuff you the least of your money. It part of the forum brotherhood.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ammo is worth 300.
Thumbhole rifle you don't like the length of, about 600 as stated.
16 mags? 160+ depending on what they are.

You tossed $1300

Could have bought a brand new Bulgarian Arsenal almost any current model. Dozens to choose from and the same goes for Russian Saigas both in the $900-$1400 range.
Or you could have bought a brand new Polish Archer and a half dozen or more new ((10)) waffle mags for $1300
Or you could have bought a brand new Russian Molot Vepr 1V with 3 45 rd mags for $1300
Or you could have bought BOTH the brand new Serbian Zastava M92 7.62 and M85 5.56 pistols and 10 mags each caliber OR skip the mags and get 2 Tax Stamps to SBR both for $1300

Slow your roll on your 2nd gun purchase. We will all be happy to help steer you in the direction of the best stuff you the least of your money. It part of the forum brotherhood.
$1300 was asking price. No shipping and no transfer is always valuable. I appreciate the advice. PM's Set the price of the rifle at $700-$800. I will take another 3000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo you can put at my front door for $.20 per round. I would also like to have all the guns you listed as options!!! Wife thinks milk and bread are better choices.

The rifle needs a flash hider or thread protector. Suggestions? With the 20" barrel it really doesn't need length added to the profile. The thing is actually nicer than I presumed at first. The Midwest Quad rail and Magpul AFG look good. The rail would have been nicer if it was the longer one. The synthetic stock butts up nice at the back of the receiver and the contoured hand grip feels right. I had a Norinco Sporter-Hunter and the trigger felt like gravel. This one is smooth. Take up is a`little tricky right at point of firing but slick nonetheless. Would like to put a small 1x-4x scope on it. Is there a decent rail other than the top cover being drilled and tapped out there?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Longshot1, I agree that not having shipping and especially no transfer is a definite plus. One thing to consider about any Chinese AK variant is that there is a fixed number of them in this country, and with new people constantly getting into the hobby, the value has been going up. There was a time when I couldn't see any MAK-90 or NHM over $300, but lately $700 seems to be the going price. In a few more years the price you paid today might also seem like a bargain.

As for the rifle itself, yes the barrel is longer than the standard AK barrel, but my suggestion is again due to the fact that it is a collectible rifle, do not do anything to it that you can't undo at a later time if you ever decide to sell it. My opinion and my opinion only as it is your rifle, do not shorten the barrel, do not drill the receiver for a side scope mount. If you want a scope mount on the top cover, get another top cover to drill for the rail. Keep the old one in a safe location again to put with the rifle if you ever sell it.

As for scope mounting, B-squared makes a mount that replaces the hammer and trigger pins with special pins to mount the scope mount. (that's a lot of mounts! :D ) That is one way to go. There is also a top cover that replaces the rear sight leaf and uses it as a mount point. There is also one that replaces the top handguard, but I don't know how secure that is as many gas tubes are not very snug. Unfortunately I can't steer you to either as I have only seen them on other people's rifles.

Enjoy the rifle, the NHM-91 isn't one of the more popular versions, but it is just as nice as any.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I bought a NHM-91 with one of those installed. The nuts obstruct the safety lever though, I couldn't get it to stay in the "Fire" position while it was attached and ended up swapping it for normal axis pins. The obstruction is slight enough that you could probably very slightly file down the nuts if you really, really wanted to make it work though.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I bought a NHM-91 with one of those installed. The nuts obstruct the safety lever though, I couldn't get it to stay in the "Fire" position while it was attached and ended up swapping it for normal axis pins. The obstruction is slight enough that you could probably very slightly file down the nuts if you really, really wanted to make it work though.
I got a BSquare on a used KBI SA 85M. The selector is relieved to fit over the pin. I'll post a pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a BSquare on a used KBI SA 85M. The selector is relieved to fit over the pin. I'll post a pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.
Yes sir. Would like to see it. Since my rifle has already had a Quad rail and synthetic stock installed I was wondering if maybe there is a Quad rail that has a picatinny extended back over the top cover? If that was too much cantilever then could replace, drill and tap new top cover for extra support.

·
Registered
864 Posts
gunluvver that is a very nice looking firearm. What color is the stain? Urethane clear?
That is the original Russian finish. It was a new stock set when it was installed. Zrecto, a member here, refinished my MAK90 stock to perfection. He would be able to match the Russian finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts