AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
milled 386

I believe all milled chinese ak's came out of factory 386 including the norinco mak 90's like the one you are referencing. Now I don't know in any stamped norinco's came out of factory 386 I know polytech's did.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Norinco and Polytech are the front companies that import the stuff. Factory 66 and factory 386 are different.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The poly's came from 416 & 386 factories, mostly mills from 386 but some stamps also. 416 is all stampd receivers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
sasm7 said:
The poly's came from 416 & 386 factories, mostly mills from 386 but some stamps also. 416 is all stampd receivers.
Could you tell me where are factories 386 and 416? When did they start production? Also, isn't factory 66 in Shenyang, Manchuria?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a stamped mak 90 with the 386 oval..has a very nice finish and the spring loaded firing pin. No norinco mark on it.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Hi guys,
I understand that PolyTech and Norinco are just export companies. They order rifles from factories. Norinco is a government export company and civilian in nature. Norinco has been in existence from the ear China was sponsoring national liberation movement all over Asian and Africa (60s-70s). Polytech was new, set up by the sons of high ranking officials (e.g. Marshal He Long's son) in 1980s. PolyTech was an PLA company (People's Liberation Army). Because the special status of PolyTech, they were less subject to central government control and were more clever business people. They set up much higher QA standard and aimed at quality rather lower prices. In 1990, central government forbid PLA companies to do business in civilian markets, so PolyTech became an independent company (by name). Their US presence ceased after they got entrapped by FBI. They sent 2000 full auto AK47 to (they believe) Bosnia en route Oakland, CA. The container was downloaded by FBI and the whole event was used as evidence that Chinese government tried to send full auto AKs into the US. Several PolyTech officers were indicted but never presecuted, but US government informed them to leave US before the case was brought up. After that, PolyTech ceased its US business that was FBI's original intention.
PolyTech and Norinco buy guns from factories controlled by government. PolyTech bought more guns from factory 386 (in Fu-Jian Province). Norince bought more from factory 366 (triangled 66) in Heilongjiang province.
Facotry 66's export AKs had much rougher finish than their military contract FA rifles which I had used in my youth. The military AK I used was from factory 66; similar to the Legeng in that it was milled, but it has a folding bayonet and, of course, FA.
Legend were made in factory 386, using milled receivers which had been abandoned at the time for PLA contract. They filled the Legend order using machineries already put away in storage.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
turbo9441 said:
So is a milled 386 oval gun with a Norinco stamp really a Poly?
Polytech and Norinco were just Chinese State export companies. They could and did source from many of the same state arsenals.

Polytech generally just held them to higher quality standard. So a Polytech exported (386) is a Polytech (386) and a Norinco (386) is a Norinco (386). Neither one is meant to be the other. The are what they are.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
turbo9441 said:
Thanks for clearing that up. So what would a 386 Norinco with about 100 rounds through it be worth?
$700+ seems to be the norm. I would not pay that but that is what others seem to sell and buy them for. Never could grasp the market on these rifles.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok..., I have a norinco, angle cut, stamped receiver Mak-90 marked 386 encompassed by an oval. What do I have? What is it worth?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
308inthebush said:
........ I have a norinco, angle cut, stamped receiver Mak-90 marked 386 encompassed by an oval. What do I have? .......
Kinda answered your own question.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts