AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is selling a nib Norinco hunter sporter in 7.62x39. It has the box, and all the goodies it came with when new. The hunter is basically a hunting rifle with some of the AK 47 characteristics left.
My question is, do you guys think that it would be worth having? Not to convert but to keep. I have several Aks to shoot including a NHM 91.
He is asking 500 and I can probably get it for less. Will it ever be worth anything? Would you have it in your collection?
Thanks for any input you might have.

Parson

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
As as AK enthusiast they definitely have a place. The one I have is very accurate. They are well made also. The only downside is the extended trigger mechanism makes the pull angle funny. There aren't a whole lot of options or modifications available for these either.
On a side note, there was three different variants of these imported. Do a search and you should be able to find pictures showing the differences between the three types. For price, $500 might be about right if it's in really good condition. I know you said it has the original box and accessories, so that is definitely a plus.

Nathan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As as AK enthusiast they definitely have a place. The one I have is very accurate. They are well made also. The only downside is the extended trigger mechanism makes the pull angle funny. There aren't a whole lot of options or modifications available for these either.

Nathan
I saw the extended trigger. Very different.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On a side note, there was three different variants of these imported. Do a search and you should be able to find pictures showing the differences between the three types. For price, $500 might be about right if it's in really good condition. I know you said it has the original box and accessories, so that is definitely a plus.

Nathan

A friend of mine had one of these, and his too was very accurate.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I saw the extended trigger. Very different.
I thought they all had that trigger? Is this a SKS? Is the trigger guard shortened?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I wasn't happy with mine and eventually sold it. Bad (long) trigger pull and awkward grip compared to a regular ak or even a Saiga. The top cover mounted sights were suspect and the way the front hand guard mounts was also a source of suspicion about the design for me. The fundamentals of the rifle are mostly good as far as the build quality, barrel and reciever parts, but left as it is it's just not a great rifle or example of the AK action. That said, 500$ is a fair price, and you could build it up into a very cool valmet or galil lookalike and address some of it's shortcomings at the same time.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
There doesnt seem to be a big following for the hunter rifles. Keep in mind that if you do buy it you will be stuck with it for quite sometime.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There doesnt seem to be a big following for the hunter rifles. Keep in mind that if you do buy it you will be stuck with it for quite sometime.
That is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Nathan

Oh really?

Volunteer Ordnance Works in Cleveland TN is making galil clones out of these.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts