AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you more experienced in this arena than myself. I was talking with a gunsmith today about my newly aquired prize and he mentioned that the one weakness the Chinese AK's all share is that the bolt face is too soft and needs to be heat-treated for total reliability. He is not an AK expert but the guy is usually right on with any advice and one of those guys that has all these little pearls of wisdom. Is there any credence to what he says? If so he has recommended a local guy that is very proficient at the heat-treating process required. Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
There have been various stories over the years about chinese guns being soft.

All I can tell you is that I have three chinese AK's that are pre-ban ('89) and have shot THOUSANDS of rounds thru them. My friends have similar guns and have amp'd a few rounds thru their's.

I never heard of a failure, never, not once.

I would hesitate to fix something that isn't broke, nor do so sans examples to indicate it might.

LG :neutral:

·
Registered
900 Posts
No problems whatsoever with either of my Polys.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
ive never heard any thing about chinese bolts haven problems.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I believe he may have been thinking about the chinese M-14 copies that came in. There were some issues with the bolts on those but never any with the chicom AKs that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
56type said:
I believe he may have been thinking about the chinese M-14 copies that came in. There were some issues with the bolts on those but never any with the chicom AKs that I'm aware of.
+1

I've also heard claims of Chinese SKS bolts cracking, but I've never seen a single pic posted on the net.

Really, when I had my Chinese AK's the only thing I did not like was the springs: I replaced as many springs as I could with Bulgarian or other European springs. The Chinese springs just always seemed a little "mushy" to me.

Other than that, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a Chinese bolt due to soft metal.

Romanian, Yes...Chinese...NO.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys...That is exactly the kind of input I need, straight forward and to the point. My rifle is not pre-ban as the first two digits of the serial number are 93 from what I'm told that makes it a 1993 issue. I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have two full-auto Chicom AKs that I have shot the snot out of. Tens of thousands of rounds fired and I can't see any signs of "softness".

Maybe after running numerous drums though 'em they have been "heat treated"!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Another Chicom user here

FA Clayco: 10's of thousands of rounds through it. no problems (had to replace the rivets eventually)

Mak90, never had a failure in the 15 years I've owned it. Bolt and carrier are fine.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
FA Clayco: 10's of thousands of rounds through it. no problems (had to replace the rivets eventually)

Really? Had they started to loosen? At approximately what round count?

(This is one reason I always favored the milled receiver).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts