AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across some Norinco 7.62X39 lead core ammo(in silver 20 rd boxes). Does this have any value other than shooting it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just one man's opinion is that collector value for this ammo might be a factor in the future, although that could be 10 or more years from now. Last time I picked some up from a guy at a gun show it was $3.00 per box, I would expect it to go for a little more these days, personally I would not consider it collectable yet.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yes it does . its real AK/SKS ammo .

it shoots to the same POA/POI as the other chinese steelcore ammo . nothing else does because the Chinese used a powder with a different/faster burn rate than the russians do now .

it has a tar sealed bullet/lacqure sealed case and primer . you could submerge it underwater for a month and it would still all fire . generally it has closer tolerances for components and is more consistant /accurate than most of the russian commercial ammo . it was also sold to armys all over the world so it has firstclass storage/longevity properties as milspec ammo .

most of the Chinese LeadCore really is non-corrosive to boot .

its value is as real SHTF ammo .

shoot up the new made stuff and keep this . i still get queezy thinking about trusting my life to commercial russian ammo . i had 1 batch of some of the first of it to come over in the mid 90s go bad 5years after purchase . most of the old russian ammo i have tests out ok (with reservations about one lot , we'll see how they all age ) but i guess i'm just jaded over that one experience .

if you give me the headstamp i likely have chrono data for it . :grin:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got back to this thread.....the headstamp is 71 on top & 93 on bottom. This ammo(1200 rds) was given to me by a man I bought a Valmet from recently. I have a 1200 rd case of steel core that is still unopened in the wood crate with 2 spam cans that I have been "saving" for a special occasion. I guess I add this to that stash. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i HAVE that headstamp in the collection but didnt get to chrono it before the big foot came down and squashed me last march . as i'm getting around pritty good now i mite be able to swing a big chrono session soon .

does it have dull brown lacqured cases ? bullets have no colored sealant but a serrated crimp groove ?

none of the other factory 71 ammo i've chronoed has been superb/match grade like 31 , 311 , 351 but it is always 'bread-and-butter good' :wink:
with E.S. consistantly running in the 60/70fps range and nominal velocity , meaning , near 2330fps 16.25"b , 2411fps 20.5"b

match grade ES and SD numbers are not a garantee of accuracy and thats hardly the only consideration for SHTF ammo anyway .

the Chicom lead core bullet acts just like you've read about/ heard for Yugoslavian M67 but , so do all those similar types .

:beer:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"does it have dull brown lacqured cases ? bullets have no colored sealant but a serrated crimp groove ?"

Yep...that's it.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
So you are saying factory 31 ammo is sniper ammo? Say why is this so much better than Norma anyway?

LOL just screwing with ya. I have some 31 dated 92 steelcore, 160 rounds of it. So this stuff is decent? It will probably be saved in bags or on strippers for SHTF ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts