AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Norinco AK-47 sporter with a thumb hole stock. It is threaded for a muzzle break but i suspect that was done later on. Now here is what i want to know it is clear that is was at once an underfolder due to the holes on the side. I believe it is a slant cut reciever but i am not sure. I hate the thumb hole stock that it came with and have always wanted to change it out. I would like to add a underfolder stock on it. so i am curious how difficult would this be and how hard is it to find a chinese underfolder stock or any underfolder that will fit but i suspect it needs to be chinese considering their recievers seem to be thicker. I am a TIG welder and metal fabricator so if there is any modifications i need to do the gun i am more than willing to if its within my capability. Added some pictures incase it helps any of yall help me solve this problem thanks everyone and sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Electronics Metal Tool

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone done something like this and would b able to offer some advice.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
that was an underfolder that was caught up in the ban, so they put a 'plug' in the underfolder holes and welded a tang for the thumbhole stock. You need to cut the tang off and dress the welds. They are usually pretty crappy welds and a sharp tap with a hammer will usually knock the tang off. Then remove the plug over the underfolder hole. A chinese underfolder stock set will be ideal as it's a drop in but I've heard that others can be made to work. I'm not sure how, but that is all you need to do to put the underfolder on. There is no trunnion to add or anything else. That is how the chinese did their underfolders.

Reactions: KWE

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Okay thanks a lot sounds way more simple than i was anticipating here. And yeah i was looking at the welds on that tang and noticing how crappy they were seems like you said would snap off relatively easy. So only other thing i need to worry about is making sure i have it 922r compliant first. Lol i am excited now, ive always wanted an underfolder just always invested in other guns first.

Also as far as removal of that rear tang goes, once i remove it and sand the weldament left on the rear plate does anyone know a quick easy way i can touch up the finish or will the quick easy way not be a long lasting finish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Norinco AK-47 Sporter Underfolder

You will need to drill out the rivet holding to (2) plugs over the under folder holes then cut off the tang and sand it smooth and touch up the finish then install your under folding stock.

You can get a Chinese under folding stock but you will spend about $100-150 or you can get a Polish/ Romanian under folding stock that most time will just bolt right on but some times will need to be fitted a little bit.

Hope this help here is a YouTube video

You can get the Polish/ Romanian stock here Used Polish Military Surplus AK-47 Underfolder Stock - 297566, Stocks at Sportsman's Guide

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay awesome that stock seems way more affordable honestly.. I just need to get the gun 922r compliant and I am good to go then. Thanks a lot thsy video helps tremendously looking forward to starting tjis project now.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Like the others have said, it is a very easy conversion. Just to let you know, the rear of the receiver is the standard shape for the underfolder. All that was done to make it George Bush the First compliant was cover the folder holed and rivet the plates in place (just use a dremel to cut the rivet), and weld a tang to the rear cover plate for Bush-hole stock installation (just cut the tang off and refinish with standard bluing).

Chinese underfolders are going up in price, but fairly easy to install.

As to 922(r) that stupidest of feel good laws:

Disclaimer, I in no way advocate the intentional violation of any law, no matter how stupid, like that parts count thing makes a rifle angelic if 10 or less imported parts, a baby killing machine if more than 10. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh okay thanks for the extra info. So that means it was not in fact a slant cut reciever. Had wondered that. I'm new to the ak world. Long time fan but not very knowledgeable yet. Haha oh I agree that law is ridiculous and completely pointless but it is unfortunately a law. Noob question here but how can I tell if it is a milled reciever or not? Chinese in general are milled correct?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Rivets holding a front trunion in place, and in the case of the underfolder, there are two holding the rear cover plate in place making it a stamped receiver. Milled receiver have the front trunion milled into the block of metal so there will be no rivets needed.

Just a word of warning when trying to understand Chinese AK variants. Just when you think you have them figured out, the old rule of Chinese AK variants comes into play: With Chinese AKs, the only rule was there were no rules.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh okay so that is definitely a good rule of thumb to know as far as determining if it's milled or not.
And haha ahh yes I believe I have read that rule somewhere before. Definately need to keep thst in mind though. That is what makes them a little confusing is there is so much variations on them.
I appreciate all the help and knowledge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts