AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought an AK on a whim, pretty good deal and looked cool (I bought it off a guy I trust). I have done a ton of searches and reading (so many variations it was kind of confusing) but appreciate more info from the experts on this Forum.

Here is what's on it:

Saiga Legion Izhevsk russia Arsenal Las Vegas NV USA 7.62x39

From what I gather it was imported by Arsenal and converted. Here are some questions, please add anymore comments that might help me better know what i purchased:

1.) It was converted from what and why did need to be converted?

2.) Is this a SGL21?

3.) I have read these are quality AK's, is that true?

4.) I really want to upgrade the stock and pistol grip, does it take standard AK after market accesses, seems like there are a lot of Saiga specific stuff?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, but never paid much attention to the AK world (but am excited to own one now). Attached a couple photo's also.

Thanks

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy23/zaboaa/AK471C.jpg

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
It originally was made to look like a hunting rifle to allow importation. There was no pistol grip, the furniture didn't resemble AK furniture and there was a mechanical link from where they placed the trigger to where the trigger should have been. The trigger had to be moved, some holes enlarged, others filled. The FSB was probably replaced after pressing it and the GB off to put on a new handguard retainer.

saiga223.jpg

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Bought an AK on a whim, pretty good deal and looked cool (I bought it off a guy I trust). I have done a ton of searches and reading (so many variations it was kind of confusing) but appreciate more info from the experts on this Forum.

Here is what's on it:

Saiga Legion Izhevsk russia Arsenal Las Vegas NV USA 7.62x39

From what I gather it was imported by Arsenal and converted. Here are some questions, please add anymore comments that might help me better know what i purchased:

1.) It was converted from what and why did need to be converted? It was converted from a sporter look. Think mini 14 look. No pistol grip, trigger sat further back, no muzzle device. It was done because the sporter version is the only way to import a fully functioning AK with a double stack magwell opening however, most people buy an AK and expect it to be an AK.

2.) Is this a SGL21? I can never remember Arsenals naming. But I beleive SGL = Russian. Dont know about the #s

3.) I have read these are quality AK's, is that true? Yes

4.) I really want to upgrade the stock and pistol grip, does it take standard AK after market accesses, seems like there are a lot of Saiga specific stuff? Yes and no. You would need a stock for a 1mm stamped receiver. While they all look the same....kinda....different countries had different specifications so not all parts are interchangable. Upgrade the stock to what?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, but never paid much attention to the AK world (but am excited to own one now). Attached a couple photo's also.

Thanks

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy23/zaboaa/AK471C.jpg

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
On the furniture, Russian/Soviet, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Egyptian and Romanian furniture made for a stamped receiver rifle will work. Most US made furniture made for a stamped receiver will work, basically as long as it's not made for a Chinese or Yugo rifle. Chinese and Yugo can be used but you'll have to modify them a bit to fit.

That said, any furniture you buy is likely to need fitting. There should be a slight gap between the stock and the back of the receiver. Doing a search on this board will show what it should look like.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
It's important to note that all or most of the Legion-marked rifles from K-Var did not have those extra holes on the sides of the receiver (for the auxiliary trigger pins) like other Saiga rifles always have. this means they didnt have to be welded up (or some kind of rivets added) to fill those extra holes. All other standard Saiga sporter conversions will have these, AFAIK.

They also already had regular AK-type front handguards as shipped from Russia, meaning they have Russian lower handguard retainers, retainer cuts, and gas blocks, except for the modles that had them replaced for some with accessory lugs.

All of this means less messing with here in the states, and a more correct receiver out of the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts