AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering how common these non-import marked Russian PM's are? Any experts out there that know the story? Here's mine, a really nice '76 with matching magazine. Bluing is pretty much perfect, although oil in some of the nooks and crannys make the photos appear othewise:

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That is beautiful, I really love the Makarov. I understand some Russian PMs came in mixed with lots coming from Bulgaria but I would think they were all import marked, very puzzling !

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Not real common, possible bring back, any papers? Non import marked ones are worth a premium. I am no expert, nor pretend to be one. Very nice looking pistol.

I have a couple 1976 dated ones, but they are marked made in Bulgaria.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw no bringback papers. I believe this one came in mixed with a bunch of Bulgarians a few years ago - but I don't know for sure. Why it didn't get marked is the question I am wondering about. I'd have to imagine that the procedure for importing and marking with the importer's roll stamp happens on the receiving end when the come into the special import zone here in the US mainland. I just have a hard time imaging that importers just 'miss' marking a firearm. Just thought someone might know how this all works?

Thirtycal

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Like you said,I had also heard that the importers had missed some when they were marking them. Guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
PWA import that somehow didnt get the stamp. Seems to be 74-76 Russian ones mixed in the the Bulgi ones.

did it come in the little plain brown box?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the previous owner know any info on it?
I don't know if he was the original owner, but yes I asked about that when I bought it (from a fellow akforum member). I'm assuming it's from that bunch that came in mixed with Bulgarians. I don't have any "illusions" of this being a bringback. I think there's enough of these like-new 'non-import marked' 70's dated Mak's to believe they came in at the same time.

But that's the detail I'm asking about - how could an import firearm just slip thru the cracks and not get stamped? And why this super nice Russian one?

If it was common for random Maks to slip thru the cracks, then why don't we see more non-import marked Bulgarians from that same group that was imported? No, I'm thinking there's an interesting story here. I doubt we'll ever uncover it, but personally I believe that this nice non-stamped Mak is more than just a random accident.

I'd love to know exactly how import firearms go into the foreign trade zone, get inspected, marked, go through customs, and then get into the distributor's warehouses. Here's a little detail about foreign trade zones (FTZ's). There's a fairly substantial FTZ up in the Seattle area, and another down near San Francisco. Here's some info about the one at the Port of Seattle: Foreign Trade Zones : Washington State ? Building Business Legends. I'm making a guess, but for a firearm to clear customs, it would have had to have the import stamp; and the stamp would have been applied in the FTZ or possibly prior to export in the exporting country. Again I'm just guessing, hence my desire to understand details.

-Thirtycal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts