AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, NDS, which I use a lot.

Was always of the belief that NDS receivers were better than original ComBloc. But another member here suggested non-factory receivers are more prone to failure than factory. He did not elaborate, however, and curious minds would like to know.

So whaddya' think - NDS vs. original factory (Egyptian, Chinese, Bulgarian, etc.): what is better?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Given the choice, I would alway's prefer a factory made receiver. However, I think NDS make's a top quality product. Take the WW AK74 problem's as of late. It really seemed to start after they quit using NDS receiver's.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
...another member here suggested non-factory receivers are more prone to failure than factory. He did not elaborate, however...
Under the context of NDS receivers versus factory... said member did not elaborate because he's full of shit?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Under the context of NDS receivers versus factory... said member did not elaborate because he's full of shit?
I agree. My only concern is the rust inhibiting process they use. Functionally, no difference.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I have not had a failure or excess wear using a NoDak Spud receiver and I shoot often. I also have and use original receiver AK's and have not seen any gains that would set them
apart from a NoDak receiver. Milled receivers will often take machining for a particular build, or a stamped flat bent without proper jigs will pose problems for some but the product
line Mike and Harlan offer us is considered the gold standard by most in the U.S. AK market.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I agree. My only concern is the rust inhibiting process they use. Functionally, no difference.
The NDS receivers do not come with any rust inhibiting process, but neither would a "factory" receiver if you could buy one.

It's all about the BUILD quality and attention to procedure. Steel needs to be degreased, blasted and chemically cleaned again before parkerizing or oxidizing for the finish to take correctly. Look at the Romanian "factory" park/blue jobs, sometimes they come from the factory with rust coming through the finish.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I'm referring to the oil they come in that poorly deters corrosion which is supposed to inhibit rust but it's moot to then compare that to something that isn't available.

The NDS receivers do not come with any rust inhibiting process, but neither would a "factory" receiver if you could buy one.

It's all about the BUILD quality and attention to procedure. Steel needs to be degreased, blasted and chemically cleaned again before parkerizing or oxidizing for the finish to take correctly. Look at the Romanian "factory" park/blue jobs, sometimes they come from the factory with rust coming through the finish.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Having spent my adult life as an engineering tech. I'd have to agree with this comment. I believe the NDS product is top drawer!

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
But another member here suggested non-factory receivers are more prone to failure than factory. He did not elaborate, however, and curious minds would like to know.
Sounds to me like this guy is full of shit. Although its possible I could have missed it, I do not recall any posts about an NDS receiver failing due to some factory related defect. Sounds to me like he did not elaborate because he cannot point to a specific example.

If you want an example of failure in a receiver, look up Hesse, or Vulcan.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
In all my dealings with AKs built using NoDak Spud receivers I have yet to hear any complaints regarding the receiver. In fact most people I know are thrilled with them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree, I've never heard anything negative about NDS. I think Mike and Harlan do a great job. Except for one thing, they need to run another batch of M16A1 lower's!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm referring to the oil they come in that poorly deters corrosion which is supposed to inhibit rust but it's moot to then compare that to something that isn't available.
They come soaked in KROIL don't they? I don't think that's really an anti-rust product.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I never had a failure either way. All my builds were on tapco flats or AK Builder flats. I had some rivet problems (Bulgy front trunnion loosened up and then the rear trunnion loosened on an AMD65) but that was fixed by using AK Builder rivets and some improved tooling. Whats going on? They bend out of spec when firing and jamming up? I dont expect they are bursting into pieces or bending in two.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I bet the larger majority of members here have atleast 1 AK built on a nodak versus none at all. You'd think if there was even the slightest design flaw, we'd have heard about it by now. I can't recall of a single problem, ever.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Another prop's for NDS. Harlan took the time to PM me about the M16A1 lower's after reading this thread. Out of the blue. And I know those guy's are busy. One of the most stand up company's in the business, IMO.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Had several rifles that were built on NDS receivers and other than the engraving marking them as NDS I could find no real difference from factory supplied receivers. All functioned fine.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
They come soaked in KROIL don't they? I don't think that's really an anti-rust product.

Depends. If it's normal kroil, no. If it's Sili-kroil, yes it purposely made to additionally provide rust protection.

I assume they use a penetrant to get in behind the rails, and provide rust protection in, and around the welds between the receiver and rails and center support.

If it's not supposed to be an anti corrosion product than what's it for?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
No, I am not full of the "S" word..........

And did I mention NDS (or any others receivers in my post for the matter)? I usually don't mention most US vendors products in the open-Sorry you gotta ask in a PM...........Don't go jumping to conclusions about stuff you don't know about-how do you know what I have seen? I was preparing to PM the OP here about my observations in the other thread (after I have had time to check my data and talked to another friend who has seen the most of the same failures as I used to work for him) when I saw this tripe.

-Sorry I always cannot always answer your questions in less than 1 day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I work for a steel/metals supplier. We carry both domestic and forign metals. This includes eastern european brands. So let me first say that i am a purist when it comes to things like classic cars and ak's(my interests). That said i would always prefer a factory receiver over a domestic. But.. talking only about material quality (anybody can bend bad receivers). i have noticed that the US steel industry is far more consistant and than the eastern european companys we have used.
Are they bad? of course not. but compared to US product we sell they generally get more issues with bad tempering,inclusions, inconsistant grade,size and straightness. So workmanship aside i would say there is a possibility that NDS puts out a higher quality receiver material wise, the rest is human factor as far as bending and cutting.
I have both and have had zero problems with either.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
No, I am not full of the "S" word..........

And did I mention NDS (or any others receivers in my post for the matter)? I usually don't mention most US vendors products in the open-Sorry you gotta ask in a PM...........Don't go jumping to conclusions about stuff you don't know about-how do you know what I have seen? I was preparing to PM the OP here about my observations in the other thread (after I have had time to check my data and talked to another friend who has seen the most of the same failures as I used to work for him) when I saw this tripe.

-Sorry I always cannot always answer your questions in less than 1 day.
Well then, we're all waiting on pics and your "expert" analysis. Almost every old timer member of this board has at least one example of a clone AK built on an NDS receiver, and more than a few have 5000 plus rounds through them. There have been issues with improper building techniques, and even failures of standard original parts, but I don't ever recall hearing about any failures attributed directly to an NDS receiver.

The balls in your court, so its time you share with the rest of the members here your proof of this higher than normal failure rate.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts