AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing K-Var selling SLR 107 for $999, are they trying to cash in on everything before more ridiculous laws set in and they are stuck with them?

Are we going to have no AKs imported from now on? Did Russians and Bulgarians sign the UN small arms treaty as well?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Isnt that what they costed in 2009? Ugh. Kvar. Its our fault (mine included) for paying their prices

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Seeing K-Var selling SLR 107 for $999, are they trying to cash in on everything before more ridiculous laws set in and they are stuck with them?

Are we going to have no AKs imported from now on? Did Russians and Bulgarians sign the UN small arms treaty as well?
I'm suspecting that they aren't move as much product as they were less than a year ago. Prices are dropping on everything, availability is almost what it used to be. KVAR has a lot of competition in the AK market. You can get a good AK for a heck of a lot less than what KVAR is selling them for. Yes they are the only source for a certain type of AK's, but when it comes down to it an AK is an AK.

AR prices are low right now too. Just bought a lower to start my first AR. Also got some decent mags on clearance for $5.99 a piece.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I hate to piss on everyones UN hating, but countries that have signed the UN treaty still have civilian AKs from Izhmash and Arsenal.

As for lying to their customers to get a sale now, thats Arsenal/Kvar's MO.

The best example is the introduction of the SGL31 (5.45 Saiga).... The first run was about $1200, and customers were told that it was a "one time run of 300"... and that we would never see any more....

As soon as they sold out, they sold the SGL31 for $300 cheaper.. Difference? Different box....

Kvar/Arsenal what has largely ruined buying new AKs for me.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I'm suspecting that they aren't move as much product as they were less than a year ago. Prices are dropping on everything, availability is almost what it used to be. KVAR has a lot of competition in the AK market. You can get a good AK for a heck of a lot less than what KVAR is selling them for. Yes they are the only source for a certain type of AK's, but when it comes down to it an AK is an AK.

AR prices are low right now too. Just bought a lower to start my first AR. Also got some decent mags on clearance for $5.99 a piece.
do tell..

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I hate to piss on everyones UN hating, but countries that have signed the UN treaty still have civilian AKs from Izhmash and Arsenal.

As for lying to their customers to get a sale now, thats Arsenal/Kvar's MO.

The best example is the introduction of the SGL31 (5.45 Saiga).... The first run was about $1200, and customers were told that it was a "one time run of 300"... and that we would never see any more....

As soon as they sold out, they sold the SGL31 for $300 cheaper.. Difference? Different box....

Kvar/Arsenal what has largely ruined buying new AKs for me.

The only AK I have bought recently was a Maadi Long Barrel on GB before the panic. Other than that nothing in the AK market. Stottman is right though K-var has really no competition so there prices are always outrageous!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
If there was anything major that was going to affect us, it would be all over this forum and the rest of the net.

The thing about guns, is if they were going away, the price would not be going lower. Low prices only mean buying is slow.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Only AK I've ever purchased from K-VAR was during their SGL-21 $499 fire sale and the only thing I regret about it is not buying 2.

I don't think they raised prices during the panic because their prices were already higher than everyone else and for the fact that they sell stuff that others don't.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Incorrect:>despite their already high price point, prices were raise by nearly 30% on some magazines during the panic last year. Likely other items as well, but Im only monitoring magazines.

However, lets all be honest here: they carry some stuff that we cant find elsewhere, which is why we continue to buy from those pirates. This is, after-all, not a free market, but one dominated by a monopoly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll be the contrarian here. I don't mind buying from K-Var; whether it's a new AK, parts, or kits. The service I've received is impeccable and, to be frank, I don't mind paying a small premium for that or for unique offerings.

They do carry product that others don't. But it's a small market and they've smartly niched themselves to serve it. If a competitor wants a piece then they're able to provide a substitute if they want to work for it.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Prices are down across the board. We at least have until mid next month to enjoy it. Then I'm sure the dems will take another stab at the 2nd.
Someone will always try this, but lets not forget what just happened in Colorado with the recall election. The next election cycle may be tougher on anti gun types than we might think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are competition for 7.62 AKs, WASR, IO Inc. It's the 74 market that is controlled by K-Var/Arsenal.

Incorrect:>despite their already high price point, prices were raise by nearly 30% on some magazines during the panic last year. Likely other items as well, but Im only monitoring magazines.

However, lets all be honest here: they carry some stuff that we cant find elsewhere, which is why we continue to buy from those pirates. This is, after-all, not a free market, but one dominated by a monopoly.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
There are competition for 7.62 AKs, WASR, IO Inc. It's the 74 market that is controlled by K-Var/Arsenal.
I dont think it is that simple. Arsenal controls much of the saiga market (specifically factory converted, or near converted rifles in*ALL* calibers). They control the entire factory built rifle market coming out of Bulgaria in *ALL* calibers. They control certain aftermarket parts which are completely unavailable elsewhere.... you get the idea. They have a good racket going and despite our bitching and complaining, they arent going to lower prices until a competitor comes around with similar offerings.
Someone will always try this, but lets not forget what just happened in Colorado with the recall election. The next election cycle may be tougher on anti gun types than we might think.
Demographically, we make up an ever shrinking portion of voters. Aside from a few non gerrymandered seats here and there, politicians wont pay a heavy price for toting the anti-gun stance. It sucks, but it is what it is. In my opinion, our best bet is to introduce new people to the hobby in a non ideological way. Get folks to realize these things are a lot of fun, and not some "weapon meant for the battlefield".

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I'll be the contrarian here. I don't mind buying from K-Var; whether it's a new AK, parts, or kits. The service I've received is impeccable and, to be frank, I don't mind paying a small premium for that or for unique offerings.

They do carry product that others don't. But it's a small market and they've smartly niched themselves to serve it. If a competitor wants a piece then they're able to provide a substitute if they want to work for it.
I hear ya, they have never sent me a wrong order or been rude.

I think I got salty when I went to buy a $4.00 pin, and I got the notification I needed $5.00 worth of stuff to checkout. Luckily they counted a donation to the NRA as over the minimum (didn't state that though, I just took a shot at it). The shipping estimate precheckout was $18.00 dollars. The actually shipping was $22.00 once I had logged in. For a freakin AKSU top cover hinge pin. It was cheaper to get one from Ukraine before they sold out.

I called and got them to ship it USPS, so it ended up fine... but it's just the stuff like that that makes me only use them when I have no other options. I rather give my money to a company that isn't going to try squeeze every cent from me at all stages of the transaction.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts