AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else is getting one of the no lock S&W 642's? I have one on order right now.

I would own a LOT more S&W revolvers if they didn't have the lock... a LOT more.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I plan on getting one when my FFL gets back to me with a price. Hope he doesn't wait too long, given the supposed one time nature of these things.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I'm not holding my breath... I'm really hoping they do a run of no lock classics next (or ditch the lock totally). I would LOVE to have a no lock Model 22, 22/1917, 36, & 27.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Its just a matter of time until S&W gets the hint that the lock is killing sales with most of the older shooters. I won't buy any of their products because of it. There were millions of pre-lock Smith's sold, most can still be bought cheaper then the new ones.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Baker47 said:
OK, guess I'm out of touch.
What do you mean by "no lock"?
S&W added a locking mechanism somewhere around 2002 I believe to all revolvers sold after that date. There have been reports of the lock activating if the gun is dropped or heavy loads are fired, rendering the revolver useless until you can find the key and unlock it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i stay away from their new revolvers, the best products they ever made in my mind is the old classic revolvers like mentioned. the first combat magnums of the sort.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
This is the S&W M22 TRS that I owned. See the circular thing above the cylinder release? That's the hated "lock".

This is my S&W M642 pre-lock.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Can they be removed/deactivated? I have a 342 that has never given me trouble, but I wouldn't mind it gone.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they can be removed, it's actually rather easy. I had a local 'smith remove the locks on three of my S&W's, I did the other two myself.

I can't find it now, but there was a "how to" on the S&W forum.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Well its done but I cracked my grips in the removal :roll:

I hope smith will be cheap or free with some replacements.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good choice of blades to go with it, too, Templar: COLD STEEL. Excellent choice. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
921 Posts
My 642 has the lock along with the shitty finish, but im happy with it. But if I had the choice a few months ago, I would of went for the no-lock.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Huh?
Are there NEW Smith's available without the kiddie lock? I'd like to get one. Too bad I bought my Mother, Sister, Girlfriend and myslef old model 37's and 38's just so they wouldn't have the "kiddie lock."

I paid top dollar for old, partially used guns so they wouldn't have the locks. I paid as much for these as I could have for NEW guns....... but they had the kiddie locks.

Where can I buy a new one without the lock?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd try your local FFL. Mine is getting some in for the same price as the lock 642's ($400ish).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Robpiat said:
Well its done but I cracked my grips in the removal :roll:

I hope smith will be cheap or free with some replacements.
In my experience, S&W is great to deal with. Give them a call, you'll probably get a new set for free.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts