AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself missing my dad's old Ruger Bearcat. I was looking for a small 22 revolver. 4 inch barrel or less.
The only 2 I could come up with are
1. Smith & Wesson 317 kit gun
2. Ruger Bearcat.

They also have the Taurus 94, but I have heard mixed reviews on this. Has the price of revolvers gone up? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My Dad always had his Bearcat with him when fishing, or riding his
4wheeler, etc. He loved the thing. They are a very nice .22 platform.
Damn accurate as well. I have it now, and will always I guess.

As for other revolvers, no suggestions really. The S&W 8 shot are expensive (I forget the model #) for a .22. Perhaps thats the one you
reffered to in your post (?)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, The 317 is an 8 shot. I like the 3 inch barrel. But they are way expensive, more than the .38s. That is probably the way I am going to go.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
bobotech said:
I never understood, what do they mean by "Kit Revolver"?
I would guess kit=gear. I.e., toss it in with your fishing gear or what have you. I'm sure you could go to justfuckinggoogleit.com and find out.

I would suggest the stainless Bearcat if you go with the Ruger and intend to use it in any sort of humid environment.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fury_58 has got it. My understanding is back in the old days when camping or fishing people would carry a kit bag. The S&W 22/32 was the first attempt to address this market.

Sometimes you hear British people still refer to any supplies they are carrying as "kit". I think I have heard the term "kit up" as well, kind of like "gear up".

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I really like the S&W Model 617, 10 shot, 4 inch BBL. I hope to get one soon.

The 317 is nice as well, I have one with a 1 7/8 inch BBL.

I also have a S/S Ruger Single Six - while a LOT of fun, I do prefer my 317.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kenelm52. Almost every review I have read on the net has been positive of the 317. I just want a 22 pistol that will feed whatever cheap rounds I put in it, no counting duds of course.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
While we are on the topic, lets say if I had a .22 WMR revolver. And all I had was .22 LR. I know, I know dangerous, unsafe, but if it was all you had would it work?

I'm just wondering for uber SHTF.

·
Registered
742 Posts
rdm said:
While we are on the topic, lets say if I had a .22 WMR revolver. And all I had was .22 LR. I know, I know dangerous, unsafe, but if it was all you had would it work?

why would it be unsafe to use .22 LR in .22 WMR cylinders? ppl use .38 special in .357 Mag cylinders all the time without problems.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Dunno, figured it was? I'm not a revolver guy as you can tell. Not yet that is.

·
Registered
902 Posts
38 special and 357 mag have the same case dimensions.

You probably "could" shoot it, but chances are id be really innaccurate at anything over 20 ft. Such a gap to jump just to get to the rifleing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
jimcola said:
Thanks Kenelm52. Almost every review I have read on the net has been positive of the 317. I just want a 22 pistol that will feed whatever cheap rounds I put in it, no counting duds of course.
That's what I love about 22 revolvers, colibri, super colibri, whatever, it's good to go.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
rdm said:

Case diameters are different. Try it. You will get swelled and/or split cases
if you shoot 22LR in the 22WMR cylinder. Accuracy will be not as good too.

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
22 long rifles WILL bulge and split in a 22 mag chamber. I once picked up a 22 mag that someone sleeved the chambers with 22 mag cases, it wouldn't hit crap with long rifles, so I pulled the sleeves out,,,,,,,,,,,and still cant hit crap! :lol:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I carry a H&R 949, loaded with 4 Stingers, 4 CCI Shot-shells and one empty.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I keep this in my tackle box,three shot shells,three Winchester standard velocity,one empty chamber. It's an old H&R Trapper model. Old school!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts