AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been posted please forgive me. But it's a great DIY old school build. This is pretty close to Khyber Pass/in a cave building! lol! Two pieces of flat iron, some bolts and BFH - he builds an AK.

http://www.grigaliunas.org/Home/second/second.htm

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
:eek: It's hard to know what to say after looking at that. Was it that bad when guys started this hobby? I'm just lost for words.

For those who look at this tutorial, BEWARE.....when you think it couldnt possibly get any worse.....it does. Then it gets worse a few more times. :shock:

Then he fully heat treats it? Didnt see that coming. :lol:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
What a big fat waist of time...I guess he has never heard of a press..I cant believe he made things so difficult.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't go beyond the first page. I was just impressed with his improvisational ways. I mean, yes, he isn't in the middle of nowhere trying to repair the only AK in the village. But if he were the only guy in the village with a hammer and a vise - I'd want to know him.

I'd love to see a video of a guy in the Afghan mountains with a hammer and some scrap metal he pulled off a wrecked Toyota pickup - rebuilding an AK. LOL! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
yea seriously, not everyone can afford a press, or a 200 dollar flat bending jig, that's more work than i would have done NDS all the way for mine but it is amazing what those guy do at the khyber, about the only thing im sketchy about is the screws/epoxy, grinding down the nuts like that but to each their own

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for posting that moab. It was interesting to see how bad you can build these rifles and still make them function. I bet the epoxy coated screws havent held up though. :roll:

I couldnt believe how bad the top rails were, look at the gap between the side of the trunnion and the receiver. Wow.

It did get a little better than this. But you can see how rounded the top rail bends are.

Home building has come a long way. People keep saying that building ak's is almost over. I dont think so. We now have tools available for the home builder that allows us to rival the top builders.

Kit prices have gone way up but they are still available. I think there are lots and lots of unbuilt kits out there that people bought and are sitting on. I know I still have plenty of building ahead of me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I didn't get to any part about "epoxy"!!! LOL! :) That's seriously crazy. I just skimmed the first page and thought I would read it later. But posted it as I hadn't seen it before.

And ya, it is a testament to how loose you can build these and still have them fire. He obviously did this a long time ago. And used the hammer and flat iron out of necessity. I'll read thru the rest later.

You know there are guys out there that could build a receiver from scratch with a hammer, a hand drill and some crap found in a junkyard though. I'm impressed by those guys. I watch some of these sheet metal guys on TV and am blown away with there craftsmanship. Anyone can use a press and jig. I'd like to meet that guy in the Khyber Pass with the ball peen hammer and the punch set. And the gold tooth he did himself. lol!

But still that doesn't replace safety if you have access to it. Come on. Epoxy?! I've gotta go read all the way thru that nuts build.

·
Registered
446 Posts
"The Arsenal" :roll: i can almost see don knots sayin' that while doin the nose thing.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
:shock: All I can say is I wish I could do half as much as he did, my wife wont let me change a light bulb, she knows I'll screw it up. I always buy factory made and "dont worry be happy"!

Wonder if he could get a job at Century? Nah overqualified!!! :goof:

Hesse has competition............ :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts