AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gifted a Norinco NHM 91. CSI ONT CA, as a retirement gift by one of the guys on my squad.
Serial on the bolt does not match the receiver, and the RPK style stock was cut down by Bubba. Other than that, very nice shape, no rust, finish still very good. Has the adjustable bipod. Question is, where can I find a good original RPK stock for this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Chinese club foot is a pretty rare bird. Maybe the iron wood guys can make a US copy. They seem to of had a couple of different styles. Mine had a dark birch stock made by Bishop. Some have that orange looking Chew wood.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
odd that the bolt doesn't match. Maybe it's just me, but i should check the headspacing. Maybe the bubba mixed up the bolt when he was cutting the stock.

Sorry, never seen Chinese RPK stock for sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got one today and was alos wondering what my options were to convert this thumbhole into a more traditional AK platform.... Any help?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Was gifted a Norinco NHM 91. CSI ONT CA, as a retirement gift by one of the guys on my squad.
Serial on the bolt does not match the receiver, and the RPK style stock was cut down by Bubba. Other than that, very nice shape, no rust, finish still very good. Has the adjustable bipod. Question is, where can I find a good original RPK stock for this?
RPK Laminated Stock Set, RTG Gun Parts

I'd read elsewhere that some thought there were *issues* with the NHM-91 bolts and deliberately replaced them with standard AK bolts. Something about softness?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RTG only has the lower handguard in stock. I picked up a nice Russian clubfoot stock, but it's even shorter than the cut down original stock. Needs a lot of fitting too. An hour or so with a dremel tool will fix that.
Need to find an AK smith to get it headspaced. Any hints on that?

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Need to find an AK smith to get it headspaced. Any hints on that?
Don't waste your money. I work in Marietta and will be happy to check the headspace for you. I have factory East German gauges and have done it many times. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ironwood is your best bet for a replacement stock. They are standard clubfoot length though. Get the birch wood and it can be finished easily to match the original handguards. You can get a matching pistol grip from Ironwood also.

Nathan

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The original NHM-91 shipped with a version of the Bush-hole stock, not a clubfoot type stock. I agree though that to make it look right, a clubfoot style stock is the way to go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have seen photos of NHM 91 with what seems like a longer than normal clubfoot. This is definitely original wood, the large checkered grip, gas tube, lower hand guard, and stock match.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I don't want to argue, and I have seen them with the Chinese clubfoot and matching pistol grip and handguards, but the NHM-91 is a post-Bush1-ban rifle and would not be importable with a separate pistol grip and stock. That pesky sporting purpose clause that is being shoved down our throat. Again, I agree with you that there are a lot of photos out there with the NHM-91 with the full clubfoot stock set, just that they had to be done that way after importation due to Bush1 ordering ATF to enforce the sporting purpose requirements of the 1968 GCA. :)

Regardless, I agree that they look great with the clubfoot stock.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wel, this one has a clubfoot stock that matches the other wood. Not sure how it got there. The examples I have seen with clubfoot stocks are very long, much longer than European RPK stocks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If it matches it just means someone replaced it all at once as they came in country with an armhole stock. It was bigger than a thumbhole stock but actually worked fairly well as far as comfort compared to a thumbhole. You can find pics online of them new in the box and see the original bushified version.

As for finding what should have been on them when sold .... first start by locating about 60 hens teeth to barter with ..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Russian laminate RPK stock I bought is a couple of inches shorter that what came on the rifle. It will look ok even if not exactly correct. I have nothing in the rifle except what I paid for the stock so I'll live with it. If we can get it headspaced and running ok, I will be happy. Actually thought about getting the barell cut, and making a Kyber type rifle out of it. Just not wanting to shoot it until I know the bolt will work in it.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
If we can get it headspaced and running ok, I will be happy. Just not wanting to shoot it until I know the bolt will work in it.
We should be able to. It will be interesting to see what's wrong with the trigger group.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts