AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a 20" NHM-91 in 7.62x39 for $575 and don't know too much about it other than what I can find by general searching. It is in its ban clothes w/ thumbhole stock and is missing the bipod. Condition is very good maybe even unfired with some handling dings, no Norinco logo just Norinco stamped in regular letters somewhat sloppily. What more can be said about this rifle and is that price fair?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They are excellent rifles, bump like mo' fos. I would value it no more then 475-500 for what you described.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vatolocal said:
I would value it no more then 475-500 for what you described.
Thanks for that. I usually know a good deal but this seemed stretching it. Just needed to confirm.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
That's too much especially with the romy imported RPKs that are coming in now.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
As far as current price, I cannot say. I haven't stayed up to date on them. What I can tell you is that my first AK was a NHM-91. I ended up getting rid of it (young, fickle, needed the money, yada yada), but I kicked myself later because none that I have had since then have been as accurate as that one was. It would shoot 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. off a bench, so long as I did my part. The next one that I bought was a MAK that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. Maybe a fluke, I don't know, but whenever I hear "NHM" it still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :smile:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AKJP said:
As far as current price, I cannot say. I haven't stayed up to date on them. What I can tell you is that my first AK was a NHM-91. I ended up getting rid of it (young, fickle, needed the money, yada yada), but I kicked myself later because none that I have had since then have been as accurate as that one was. It would shoot 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. off a bench, so long as I did my part. The next one that I bought was a MAK that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. Maybe a fluke, I don't know, but whenever I hear "NHM" it still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :smile:
I am heading back to the shop that has it later in the week to see if there is any "room" on the price. Over the weekend I heard of someone else that essentially had your experience with one.

The comment on Romy RPK's is dead on and that was something I had been looking at seriously as well. They border on cheap. But, this is a Chicom rifle and there is a hook for me on that alone.

We'll see where it goes.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
red_metallic said:
AKJP said:
I am heading back to the shop that has it later in the week to see if there is any "room" on the price. Over the weekend I heard of someone else that essentially had your experience with one.

The comment on Romy RPK's is dead on and that was something I had been looking at seriously as well. They border on cheap. But, this is a Chicom rifle and there is a hook for me on that alone.

We'll see where it goes.
I also have an AES-10B. I would agree that it is probably one of, if not THE, best value out there, for an AK, right now. I like it's traditional looks and it seems to be plenty accurate. Although, I've only fired one mag through it, to get it on paper and haven't had the chance to really wring her out, yet. If you decide to go that route, just be sure to inspect it for all the usual Romanian/Century issues. I was able to find a good one.

I think, in the end, you can't go wrong either way (providing you could get the NHM for a price that is acceptable to you). Best of luck and be sure to post pics! :cool:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I own a AES-10B, Yugo M-72, and 2 NHM-91s.

I give the edge to the NHM-91 for finish, accuracy, and being lightweight.

The M-72 beats the heck out of my face when I shoot it. I am finding myself not liking to shoot it and may sell it. Accuracy is ok.
The AES-10B wins on actual looks from a distance, RPK receiver, and that "Red Dawn" appeal.
Up close it looks like the Romaks were drunk the day they put it together. Finish is sloppy, wood looks used, and the front sight is typical romak cant.
Accuracy is 4" to 6" at 100. Not even close to my NHMs.

You pick.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I am in the process of getting one of these. I am waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. These really seem like nice rifles. The rifle I am buying is pictured in the Marketplace forum over at AKfiles. There are three in the ad and mine is the bottom one with the custom hickory stocks. The guy selling these is Scott Murphy who makes some incredibly beautiful AK stocks. His website is listed under his profile and there are some great looking stocks there made from some exotic woods. I'll probably be hitting him up for some Yugo stocks in the near future.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've gone back to look at it since I first posted. It is still there, I'd swear in the same position the dealer put it back in last time. Since it isn't a "traditional" AK he does not appear to have any traffic on it. (Just an odd quirk about the part of the country I live in.) I sense his resolve weakening on the price.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I sold one to a coworker a few months back for $500. That was with two, 40-round mags, an RPK bipod, stock and handguards, plus the 922 parts (FCG, grip, muzzle device and mag floor plates).

You should be able to get a better price.

The Chinese AKs are some of the best for the money. They have thicker receivers than most others.

Be sure to post pics when you get it!
:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Chinese AKs are some of the best for the money. They have thicker receivers than most others.
Not being a wise a** here, in the not to distant past I read somewhere the reason Chinese receivers were made heavier was due to the quality of their steel (not as good) thus necessitating a bit more 'beef'.[/quote]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts