AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Do registered Short-Barreled Rifles need to comply with sec. 922(r), since they are not a "firearm", but are in their own class under the NFA?

2. A pistol with a foreward grip is illegal, considered an Any Other Weapon and must be pre-ban and transfer on a $5 tax stamp. But can you SBR, say, a Glock, and then put the front grip and whatever on it?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
1. Do registered Short-Barreled Rifles need to comply with sec. 922(r), since they are not a "firearm", but are in their own class under the NFA?

2. A pistol with a foreward grip is illegal, considered an Any Other Weapon and must be pre-ban and transfer on a $5 tax stamp. But can you SBR, say, a Glock, and then put the front grip and whatever on it?
No, an SBR doesn't need to abide 922(r), and I'm almost positive that if you SBR a Glock it could have a forward grip for the same reason. But unless you want to use a glock stock why not save $195 and just AOW it?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that AOW weapons were banned from being registered for civilian use after 1986. Same story with new machine guns, LE and military or Class 3 or higher only... or yes Class 2 with demo letter.

I do not want a SBR GLOCK, I just wondered if that would be a way around the AOW issue.

However, if I do end up building a Krink way down the line, I want a Russian (Saiga, VEPR, whatever is best) reciever and then an ALL Russian parts kit, from the same arsenal as the reciever (I believe the Izzy plant makes SAIGA rifles, so an Izzy Krink would be the choice). It would probably be impossible to get matching numbers, but if worst comes to worse since it isn't original anyway I could have the kit numbers scrubbed and restamped. As you can tell this is a project for many, many years later, not now.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Crazy twist..............during the assault weapon ban the SBR still had to comply with the assault rifle banned features!! ie...no threaded barrel, flash hider, etc.

Is that STUPID or what?? :doh:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
You can make all the AOW's you want as long as you pay the tax, it was only full auto that was banned in '86.

AOW's have a $5.00 transfer tax but can never have a buttstock on them.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So when talking handgun or rifle, as far as having a short barrel, SBR would be the way to go since you can have a stock or no stock at all or a grip or no grip...

Too bad shotguns can't SBR...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Too bad shotguns can't SBR...
Your right...cause they are SBS's :grin:

same rules apply as far as registering a centerfire rifle as either a pistol or a SBR as far as stocks are concerned.

If you register a shotty as a AOW, ya can't put a stock on it or now it becomes a SBS.

You couldn't register this as a AOW

and then turn around and put a SpeedFeed butt on it or now you've turned it into a SBS.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you legally register a short barreled shotgun without any more hassle than a SBR?

I think that would be awesome. Can you switch the barrel to a standard length one on a SBS, IE one for hunting and the short one for self defense?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Can you legally register a short barreled shotgun without any more hassle than a SBR?

I think that would be awesome. Can you switch the barrel to a standard length one on a SBS, IE one for hunting and the short one for self defense?
Yes and I don't know about you but when have you ever heard a game warden ask the question "By the way, is that shotgun your using also a registered SBS receiver?" :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Under NFA regulations (for an SBR anyway) the name, address, and company of the mfg. has to be stamped CLEARLY on the reciever. This could be suspicious to a cop... besides, can a SBS be used for hunting? With the short barrel?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok... well the most important things have been clarified. SBSs and AOWs can be registered new, and SBRs along with AOWs and SBSs do not need to comply with Sec. 922(r) bull.

Mmmm... I feel somewhat more free, if it weren't for the barrel ban I would feel alot better.

PS- legal issue. The BATFE changed the law to allow lend-lease weapons to be imported back into the US. Thompson sub machine guns may be NFA, but they are also C&R. You can get a Thompson without a Class 3 interviening if you have a C&R. So is there some kind of addenum to the 1986 or 1968 rulings about importation or registering of automatic Thompsons? Thompsons were lend-leased to everyone, and I know of some countries that possess them for sale. Is there any way to use the new ruling to get some of our automatics back?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Ok... well the most important things have been clarified. SBSs and AOWs can be registered new, and SBRs along with AOWs and SBSs do not need to comply with Sec. 922(r) bull.

SAR did an article on this during the past 3-4 months. I will go back and re-read it becuase I could swear that 922(r) still had to be complied with.

I will go read.

Accountant

·
Registered
189 Posts
Caligula said:
NFA weapons do not have to comply with 922r:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardw ... etter3.txt
From your link:
However, the Bureau has previously determined that the lawful
making of an NFA weapon would not violate Section 922(r), since the
section only addresses the assembly of "nonsporting" firearms, and
not the making of NFA weapons. Therefore, the lawful making of a
short barreled rifle would not be precluded by Section 922(r).

So, you would still have to comply w/ 922(r).

Exactly what I was thinking........but I am still looking for the article.

Accountant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts