AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gentlemen, and any ladies in the forum..though I have yet to find one in the multiple forums I participate in.
I've really fallen for the vz58. However. It's time to buy my 1st Ak. I'm thinking an AK74..saiga conversion. Atop is the Saiga I've been eyeing. It's converted already. Below is a photo of an arsenal sgl 31. I want to complete the conversion to look very similar though I would like the plum furniture. My questions are, exactly what parts do I need to do so? And price wise what I'm I looking at?

Thank you...

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you'll need to remove the FSB and gas block. A new lower handguard retainer will have to be fitted. Press on a new gas block. I'm not sure if the FSB has threads on it that are covered. If so you will just have to removed the pinned or welded "cover" over the threads. If not, press on a new FSB with the proper muzzle device. Of course you'd also have to replace the gas tube and all the furniture

All in all it wouldn't be an expensive job.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Probably the most expensive purchase would be the hydraulic press to get the front sight block and gas block off and back on.
It doesn't need to be anything high-end; the "cheap" one that Harbor Freight sells is a standard in this world.

I feckin' HATE that furniture. Lemme guess, an RWC Group LLC gun?
You can buy the good stuff from K-VAR in a set.
Gas tubes can be had for cheap if you're not picky about that particular gas tube being a genuine Russian part.
If you want your gun to hold a cleaning rod like it's supposed to, you will need a new front sight block, or someone is damn handy with a welder. (I very seldom use my cleaning rods, opting instead for a Boresnake, but they're a dandy for clearing obstructions when you don't have anything else to work with).

In order to remove the barrel components, you will need to drill out the divets on the sides, so you might as well order "new" parts unless you know someone who can fill them back in when you're done. You will also need to drill holes in the parts for drift pins to go in.

Alternatively, you could use a bolt-on handguard retainer. I prefer Carolina Shooter's Supply for stuff like that, and I avoid Dinzag Arms (too pricy, and too slow these days).
This will keep you from having to file the rounded notch in the top of the barrel that the handguard retainer latch pivots in.

My prediction is that you won't find any threads on that muzzle beneath the front sight block.

And by the way, that's an SGL-21 in that photo; not that it matters for our purposes, just a different caliber than what you're talking about.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
You'll regret skipping the lug and rod. If you're going to do it do it right the first time instead of having to go back and redo it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts