AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cleaning my new yugo m92pv pistol for first time and trouble getting the upper gas guard pin to set completely in place.
I got the upper hand guard piece back on but the small metal pin wont fit over the metal grinded out section. It's like to just a little to high.
Anyone else have this problem? I'm afraid to force the hinge receiver cover down because it's aluminum and dont want to damage it.
I tried tapping it with a block of wood and even light hammer taps but wont fit over the metal rim piece of the wooden hand guard. I thought about filing it down but it came off so it should come back over.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
sounds like you don't have the gas tube seated all the way down, Move it back and forth in the rifle and make sure the lip in the back is sitting down in the slot under neath. Ive had this issue with another rifle before where I thought the gas tube was to short but it actually wasn't sitting down all the way.

the pin should slide into the slot easily. and the top cover is steel not aluminum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, Ive been at this for about 2 hours and tried everything you mentioned. I noted the same way all these parts fitted or should fit just like you mentioned and still stumped!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
pictures would help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ClayC had the perfect description of the problem and I m not able to post any photos tonight. I tried everything he said and still can't get the end near the gas tube to seat low enought for the pin to completely seat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
These PAP are tight! I know Removing the tube and the lower HG was THE hardest I have ever dealt with. I thought I was going to break something too!
These are little tanks that don't have a spare .00001 of extra space. Id try giving it a little rubber mallet whack. I had to use a light tap on my lower to get it back into the sweet spot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it!!!
This morning I got my son (extra pr of hands) to drive the pin in with a punch while I held the gun and it seated in enough to close the hinge receiver.
Makes me not want to remove the upper guard again! Buy the way...do you guys clean the gas tube out after every firing session? How often is necessary?

Much Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
rarely unless I shoot corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I got it!!!
This morning I got my son (extra pr of hands) to drive the pin in with a punch while I held the gun and it seated in enough to close the hinge receiver.
Makes me not want to remove the upper guard again! Buy the way...do you guys clean the gas tube out after every firing session? How often is necessary?

Much Thanks for your help!
Man, I can't figure out for the life of me what you could use a punch to accomplish in reassembly of a gas tube or top cover. What part are you calling a "hinge receiver"? What part are you hitting with a punch? Are you having trouble getting the gas tube back on, or the top cover of the receiver?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Don't be afraid to firmly smack the top of the upper handguard at the rear to seat the gas tube all the way down into the rear sight base, before you try to turn the arm on the gas tube retaining lever. A standard AK cleaning kit tube has a slot to make turning the lever easier. Is the gas tube retaining lever the part you were hitting with a punch?

A new factory fitted rifle that is built from new parts will be extra tight. However, If the lever won't turn with a great deal of force, so much so that it feels like it's flexing under the force, then the gas tube is likely not all the way down (or there's a burr). You can also dress the gas tube mating surface on the top of the tube on the angled part where the lever shaft locks it down. Use a a marker to paint it black, then try it on the rifle, take it off and see where the black has been removed, that's where you can polish it to make it easier to turn the lever Don't go too far! Remember, the factory has already fitted it to be really tight, so there's no need to take more than a few thousands off.

If it's not seated all the way down, you can actually snap the lever off if you try to force it to turn. A broken gas tube lever, among other problems like dented in top covers and missing cleaning rods, is not uncommon to see in the field on beat up rifles that were likely not very well taken care of.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
You can use a 12 gauge nylon brush and mop to get in there pretty good if you don't want to remove your gas tube again any time soon. I don't remove my gas tube every time for cleaning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts