AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into AK's and need some mags.
I have a Yugo RPK kit thats going to be built and I have a NHM91.
I have one 30 rnd Yugo mag for the Yugo and need more.
What are good mags and what should I stay away from?

I like the bolt hold open Yugo mag, is there others that have the hold open?
As for the RPK build I will need some USA parts, is there USA floor plates that will work with the Yugo mag?
Are there USA made followers that will hold the bolt open?

What about drums, which ones are good/bad?
Is there USA parts for them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
I'd stay away from messing with mags.....just go with Receiver, FCG, Muzzle nut, pistol grip for US parts.....they can be had to match the Yugo RPK perfectly.

and I'm completely confused on the bolt hold open mags.......my understanding is that these do not work like you would imagine, the follower in the mag holds the bolt back and once you release the empty mag the bolt will return to battery....not much use. The bolt hold open device that is like on an M-14, etc, is only on the Yugo milled receivers which nobody knows what the device looks like that is activated by the side of the follower.

there are only two choises for drums, Romy and Chinese, Chinese is more expensive and many prefer them cause you can fully load them and not wind the spring until you are ready to shoot. The romy you can't leave it fully loaded for much more than a week a have read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right on the bolt hold open.
I tried it on the NHM91. It held the bolt open untill I removed the mag, :shock: !!!! It slamed closed on my tyumb :oops:

Is there a better mag? Russian, German, Romy etc?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,600 Posts
landtoy80 said:
You are right on the bolt hold open.
I tried it on the NHM91. It held the bolt open untill I removed the mag, :shock: !!!! It slamed closed on my tyumb :oops:

Is there a better mag? Russian, German, Romy etc?
I am trying to imagine how you managed to have your thumb in the chamber when removing the magazine. My thumb isn't long enough to reach allllllllllllllllllllll the way in there! :wink:

Yugo mags will lock the bolt back on the last shot, and when the mag is removed, the bolt slams home (as poor landtoy learned the hard way! Norinco thumb???). However, some Yugo selectors had a notch cut in them, so when the mag ran dry and the bolt locked back, the selector could be switched to safe (with the charging handle being held back by the notch in the selector) a new mag inserted, and selector switched to fire at which point the bolt rode home and stripped a round.

Not quite as eloquent as the AR-15's bolt hold-open, but still pretty nifty. The main reason for the Yugo mags is to know that you are empty, instead of hearing "CLICK!" when you pull the trigger. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,915 Posts
1Gunner said:
I'd stay away from messing with mags.....just go with Receiver, FCG, Muzzle nut, pistol grip for US parts.....they can be had to match the Yugo RPK perfectly.

and I'm completely confused on the bolt hold open mags.......my understanding is that these do not work like you would imagine, the follower in the mag holds the bolt back and once you release the empty mag the bolt will return to battery....not much use. The bolt hold open device that is like on an M-14, etc, is only on the Yugo milled receivers which nobody knows what the device looks like that is activated by the side of the follower.

there are only two choises for drums, Romy and Chinese, Chinese is more expensive and many prefer them cause you can fully load them and not wind the spring until you are ready to shoot. The romy you can't leave it fully loaded for much more than a week a have read.




Joe, are you talking about this button on the side of my M64 kit?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
Yes Tim, nobody knows what the inside of the receiver looks like...specifically the bolt hold open device that is tripped by the side of the Yugo follower like the operation of the slide stop on almost all auto pistol mags. It seems the torching of the receivers prevents anyone from seeing how it all works
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
1Gunner said:
Yes Tim, nobody knows what the inside of the receiver looks like...specifically the bolt hold open device that is tripped by the side of the Yugo follower like the operation of the slide stop on almost all auto pistol mags. It seems the torching of the receivers prevents anyone from seeing how it all works

To bad. It would be an awsome feature to add to the Ak.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top