AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the extra rivet on the Saigas, used to start turning the bolt, available to purchase anywhere??

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure one could be fabricated pretty easily, the only thing is you'd have to probably make a special buck for it, then it would need to be heat treated.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
I have read they are specially made.. heat treated on the interior receiver side and annealed on he outer crush side. Pretty specific use rivet type.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I wonder just how much they are hardened, because my SGL 20 that has maybe 8 or 9 thousand rounds through it, the turning rivet has peened to a flat surface. The limits of the bolt as it cams in the carrier divide the turning load between the camming surfaces and the rivit likely preventing the peening to go past the point where it is so I am not concerned now but I did watch it closely at first there has been no progression in the last few thousand rounds.

Reactions: nexus/mk.7

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Can you snap a pic?
I can take cell phone pics but I don't have a photobucket account, I have tried several times in the past to post pictures from an account and it will not work, I believe the material my skull is made from is VERY heavy guage, so even with folks guiding me, no success.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why not use a bullet guide with the turning lug on it and just leave the original turning lug for cosmetics.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not use a bullet guide with the turning lug on it and just leave the original turning lug for cosmetics.
that is an option I've considered, but if I remove the turning lug rivet, I would probably just weld the hole up and be done with it, since I cant leave it in place to remove the trunnion.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well its nothing special actually.

the rifle in question is a converted Saiga AK-74. Its the rifle I beat on the most, and its also the very first saiga I ever converted, and the only Saiga I screwed up the bullet guide on. When I was drilling the hole somehow the bullet guide moved, so I drilled it off, WAY off. I ended up having to make a new bullet guide with the hole moved to accomodate the hole in the trunnion. BUT I still occasionally have a failure to feed on the very last round only, but thats enough that I dont trust the rifle with my life, and this rifle is really the one I train with, and have setup as my PDW.

Anyway over the years I've become pretty comfortable building, modifying, and repairing AKs, so I figured I would just pull the thing apart, do a proper riveted bullet guide and put it back together, but that extra pin seems to be an issue.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Well DUH, Just put one less round in the magazine :D

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol I wish it were that easy.

right now Im thinking some more experimentation with the bullet guide is in my future.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I bet that the issue could be resolved with some tweaking of the bullet guide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts