AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow AK lovers, I am a new proud owner of a 2020 cugir built PSL

question 1: what’s a good trigger upgrade for it? I see people use ALG trigger which the manufacture mention it’s not for 7.62x54r variants. I also see people use red star arms trigger but I called those guys and they say they are backordered for months.

question 2: KNS piston and heavy ball. On the KNS website,https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/KNS-AK-Piston-FAQ.pdf, they admitted that PSL since 2019 has a smaller gas port. Does that mean the KNS adjustable gas piston is less necessary in the new PSLs? Can you shoot heavy balls in those new production without the adjustable gas piston then? Honestly my new PSL does dent steel casing and eject them into orbit still.

my PSL shoots around 1.7 to 2 MOA but I think this maybe shooter related and it might be able to do better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2019 psl but I haven't modified it yet, I do plan to later. Rob Ski from akou used a fime trigger and kns piston in his and it is newer production too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can touch up the PSL trigger to make it a 2 stage. You can find out how to do that on youtube or forum searches and it is pretty easy to convert an AK trigger to two stage trigger. you can swap it out later if you don't like it.

Also AGI sells a video on how to do ak 2 stage triggers.

try shooting some heavy ball in there and see if the carrier is striking the back trunion if not you may be good to go. I would prob get a KNS and use it anyway as it can help you dial it in for each load you shoot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just been shooting light ball (148 grain) exclusively and there is already a slight dent which I think is from the bolt carrier. I honestly think the newer PSL are still quite over gassed. Hit multiple RSO with brass already.

Right now I mainly want to get a better FCG. I did polishup the existing trigger and it feels nice, but I haven’t hit the range yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2019 psl but I haven't modified it yet, I do plan to later. Rob Ski from akou used a fime trigger and kns piston in his and it is newer production too.
Do you have a link to that? I think he said he used red star trigger in the video where he had his daughter shot the PSL.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I would do a trigger job on the stock FCG.

You could buy a PSL bolt carrier with gas piston or just the piston and modify it with drilled holes until it is shooting better, much cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already took apart my FCG and polished it so we’ll see how it goes for now. I might get an adjustable gas piston still but I am hesitant to bubba up something that could be more collectable than usual as I heard cugir shutdown some point earlier this year due to Covid so persumably there would be less 2020 rifles.

I will probably get another bolt carrier group and put a KNS on that instead.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Best I have found in my PSL is a Red Star fcg. Works good in every other AK I have put them in also. Right now I am running 7 of them. Its expensive, but you are paying for true quality.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I already took apart my FCG and polished it so we’ll see how it goes for now. I might get an adjustable gas piston still but I am hesitant to bubba up something that could be more collectable than usual as I heard cugir shutdown some point earlier this year due to Covid so persumably there would be less 2020 rifles.

I will probably get another bolt carrier group and put a KNS on that instead.
Nothing prevents you from reinstalling the old piston back into the rifle. you just need to drill out a rivet screw out he old piston... screw in the kns piston install new rivet. Same process but reversed for putting the old piston back on the BC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts