AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the local gun store here in Colorado Springs with the intention of "just looking" and noticed that they had a very nice looking AK-47 up on the rack. Now, I am a big fan of the AR-15 type rifles and have owned about a dozen different ones in various configurations over the years (my current is a Bushmaster M4 clone with Aimpoint sight and forward vertical grip-an excellent shooter) but have always secretly had a liking for the AK, but if I was to get one it would be of high quality.

The guy behind the counter said the store just got the rifle in and put a price tag of $750. I asked what the difference was between the Poly Tech and all of the Romanian ones that were 300-400 dollars cheaper. He pointed out the milled receiver stamped "AK-47" and told me the Poly is much better etc, etc.
I remembered the similar rifles on Gunsamerica for $1200-$1500 and proceeded to plop down $400 to layaway the rifle for 30 days. I really cant wait to take it out to the range. It will make a nice addition to my collection and I think I got a pretty good deal.

I posted here(first time) to see what the general opinion among the AK experts was concerning the Poly Tech.

BTW: it has red furniture, comes with the original box, owners manual, cleaning kit, bayonet, sling, and two 30 round magazines. I would rate it at least 95% finish- it really is new looking.

:cool:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Unless the rifle is trashed, you stole it.

Great rifles, about as close to the original AK-47 as you can get.

I had one and loved it.

True piece of history and a very high quality rifle.

Ya done good!

Welcome to the board! :twisted:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Let me know if you ever want to sell it, I'm a legend short in my Poly collection. :wink:

Ya' done great, like Templar said, if it is as represented, you made out big time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You need to bring that sucker home ASAP. Very, very good deal w/all the accessories with it. I jumped on mine for 600$. They are built on Russian machinery/jigs by the Chinese arsenals from their communist brotherly love period in the late 40s to late 50s before their falling out in the early 60s. As said, closest thing made to the original type III Russian AKs of the mid-1950s. Someone had put one of those funky butt spacers on it and it was in a group of long guns bought by a shop. Guy didn`t like AKs and wanted to move it. So I helped him move it. It got a set of Polish laminated wood on it as soon as I got it. It`s the high piece of my collection. Bad thing is the shop guy got 2 more AKs in the group of guns he bought. Both of them were prebans, too. When I went back to check on them a few days later with some more $ they were gone. You did great on this classic Polytech AK. Congrats, J R...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could not bring myself to let that weapon languish for the next few weeks , so I paid the balance, took her home and came to the conclusion that I will keep it. It really is a beautiful weapon. In fact, the more I learn about it the more I like it. I know there are nicer AKs out there, but this one is cool because it from the glory days (1983-1989). I will post some pictures "soon" to show it off ( I can't help it)

This is my second foray into the darkside. My first AK was aquired last year when I purchased a "new" WASR 10 (minus canted front sightpost) for $319 at the same place I bought the PolyTech. It was of mediocre finish, but after a good cleaning and the purchase of 5-EG mags and 1000 rounds of Wolf Premium ammo, I took it to the range. Total investment so far including tax and shipping: $476. I was almost expecting a KB when I first touched it off. Of course that didnt happen. I shot again getting used to the unfamiliar rifle I had just bought. About six in a row with all but one hitting with effect ( went to the public range up in the National Forest to basically shoot at the garbage people leave). Anyway, after a couple of double and triple taps it was off to the races. I emptied the rest of the mag in a few seconds and inserted another. I ripped through the second mag in less time than it takes to shotgun a beer. Did the same with the next two 30 rounders, stopping only to rest my weary trigger finger. I had fired 120 rounds so far and not even a hiccup. I was impressed. Two more full magazines later I set it aside to practice with my pistol. Needless to say, I was pretty darn pleased with my investment. Over the next week I sanded off the finish down to bare wood and rubbed in some Honey-Oak stain with several applications of high grade Poly. Then I took the metal parts and cleaned them as well as possible and spray-bombed it in flat black. Using a 6" wheel, the bolt carrier was polished until it shined like chrome. The rifle was then carefully assembled and the finish product looked like a brand new rifle.

A few weeks later I sold it for $650 including the mags and over eight hundred rounds of ammo. It had been fun, but I wanted a nice AK. No disrespect to the Romaks out there.

I just got lucky with the timing on buying the Poly. That thing would have been snatched up quick so I guess it pays to visit the gunstore just before lunch.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I'm jealous!

I've only ever seen ONE in person and the guy wanted $1,500 that I didn't have.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Damn good score,and Welcome To the Site! :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts