AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Recently picked up a used Century Yugo for my first AKM, and she's in need of some TLC. I've done some of my own searching for answers, but I must admit my google-fu is weak. I was hoping you guys could help. For the sake of clarity, I will be bringing the rifle to a gunsmith for repairs. No gunsmithing skills here. I just shoot 'em and clean 'em. I would like to gather all the parts needed for repairs before I bring it in. Trying to keep our away time to a minimum.

-First issue, canted front sight. No big deal, the smith will handle it.

-Second issue, Flip Up Night Sights. The front flip up sight itself just flops around freely. The pin will ride out to the right of the sight (when looking down the sights. I don't think there is a spring present. Where can I find a new spring? Will I need a new pin as well, or will this one work with the spring added? I certainly hope I don't need a whole new front sight post, but if that's what it takes... The rear flip up sight is in much better shape, but tends to sag down a bit when flipped up. Is this a spring/pin issue as well?

-Third issue, Night Sights. The flip ups take the tritium vials, but I am unsure which size. I've seen posts on different forums saying different sizes.

-Fourth issue, Folding Stock. When locked open, there is a small bit of play. Is there anything that can be done to tighten this up? I know that the rifle has only fired on grenade since Century assembled it.

I would prefer to do business with an actual person as opposed to a big company, so if there is any one on this forum or another who can provide these parts, please point the way. That covers repairs needed, but you know I have a few more questions.

When I purchased the rifle, the seller had a bill of sale written up. All I had to do was fill in my info and sign. I used the Serial Number he gave me to date the rifle (assembly) by emailing it to Century. However, when I look at my gun, I don't see a SN on the receiver. Not on the trunnion, not on the rear sight base, not on the bottom near the mag well... So far, the only number I've seen is on the dust cover. Any Idea where else I should be looking? Also, I was a bit shocked when I was told how to date the rifle. I was told with the serial number of AB2xxxxx, that the first four X's signify the month and year. So, IF it read AB20510x, it would have been assembled in May of 2010. This only leaves one other number to identify the weapon. Were they only making nine a month, or did the numbers get larger throughout the month? Seems kinda strange to me. I also have the UTG quad rail installed. If I mount an AFG, will the folding stock be able to lock closed?

My camera is charging at the moment, but pics would be available soon if my descriptions are insufficient. I thank you for your time, and apologize if these questions are asked 47 times a day.

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
One Fungi said:
Greetings! Recently picked up a used Century Yugo for my first AKM, and she's in need of some TLC. I've done some of my own searching for answers, but I must admit my google-fu is weak. I was hoping you guys could help. For the sake of clarity, I will be bringing the rifle to a gunsmith for repairs. No gunsmithing skills here. I just shoot 'em and clean 'em. I would like to gather all the parts needed for repairs before I bring it in. Trying to keep our away time to a minimum.

-First issue, canted front sight. No big deal, the smith will handle it.

-Second issue, Flip Up Night Sights. The front flip up sight itself just flops around freely. The pin will ride out to the right of the sight (when looking down the sights. I don't think there is a spring present. Where can I find a new spring? Will I need a new pin as well, or will this one work with the spring added? I certainly hope I don't need a whole new front sight post, but if that's what it takes... The rear flip up sight is in much better shape, but tends to sag down a bit when flipped up. Is this a spring/pin issue as well?

Two Rivers Arms on this site has the springs

-Third issue, Night Sights. The flip ups take the tritium vials, but I am unsure which size. I've seen posts on different forums saying different sizes.

Some are tritium but the early type are merely night glow you must ID what you have.

-Fourth issue, Folding Stock. When locked open, there is a small bit of play. Is there anything that can be done to tighten this up? I know that the rifle has only fired on grenade since Century assembled it.

I would prefer to do business with an actual person as opposed to a big company, so if there is any one on this forum or another who can provide these parts, please point the way. That covers repairs needed, but you know I have a few more questions.

That is normal for an underfolder and does not change or fix readily. New lockng lug assemblies installed can help reduce the slop.

When I purchased the rifle, the seller had a bill of sale written up. All I had to do was fill in my info and sign. I used the Serial Number he gave me to date the rifle (assembly) by emailing it to Century. However, when I look at my gun, I don't see a SN on the receiver. Not on the trunnion, not on the rear sight base, not on the bottom near the mag well... So far, the only number I've seen is on the dust cover. Any Idea where else I should be looking? Also, I was a bit shocked when I was told how to date the rifle. I was told with the serial number of AB2xxxxx, that the first four X's signify the month and year. So, IF it read AB20510x, it would have been assembled in May of 2010. This only leaves one other number to identify the weapon. Were they only making nine a month, or did the numbers get larger throughout the month? Seems kinda strange to me. I also have the UTG quad rail installed. If I mount an AFG, will the folding stock be able to lock closed?

The trunnion that contained the date was scrubbed of numbers and dates by Century. General dating by features is the only other option. The AB2XXXX is the USA applied serial number but nothing to do with actual original manufacture date of the rifle.

My camera is charging at the moment, but pics would be available soon if my descriptions are insufficient. I thank you for your time, and apologize if these questions are asked 47 times a day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have pics to make identification easier, but I am unsure how to upload them to my post. Didn't see that in the FAQs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts