AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Rusty. I'm mainly a handgun person but being of Russian descent and having the old man telling me strories of the AK I decided to get an AK.

I purchased a Type 3 Russian Milled kit. The furniture was dropped off to get re-finished. This gun was used but not abused since the bore looked pretty clean.

What are the differences between the type kits?

Where can I get the best and cheapest milled reciever?
So far I found: Firing Lane and Ohio Rapid Fire, although ORF only makes it for a type 2. This ties in with the first question.

Who can do the build for me?
I know Firing Line can do it but I'm looking for someone with a proven track record/reccomendations from the community.

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think ORF has any in production. Fireing Line are okay, except for the HUGE EAGLE on the side. I would contact [email protected] for the build.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then I'm stuck with the huge eagle?

Firing Lane is the only game in town for me?

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
HuliganRS said:
Firing Lane is the only game in town for me?
yep, for a milled receiver FIRING LINE is the only game in town. I believe thay are around the 500 dollar range

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can the eagle be removed?

Thanks!

Rusty.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It could be welded, ground flat and refinished, but would add a bit of expense. I would make sure to trust only an experienced smith or machinist with that task.

The hardest part about building AKs is educating yourself on laws and variations. That, and paying for all the AKs you buy.

If you hang around, you may find a build party in your area, or someone with skills and tools that can help. An experienced builder could get your kit together no problem. Really, all you need help with is installing/headspacing the barrel, and rivetting the trigger guard and stock tangs. After that, it's all easy.

There are some 'assault weapons ban' era guns that are dieing to be receiver donors, so don't limit yourself to new receivers. Buy a complete gun, then sell all the parts but the receiver (they are neutered, ban-complient guns). Install your parts, and go. You might even save money over buying one from firing line, if you shop hard.

Start looking for a receiver or parts, but in the mean time get a stamped kit and receiver and start building!

·
Registered
133 Posts
eodinert said:
It could be welded, ground flat and refinished, but would add a bit of expense. I would make sure to trust only an experienced smith or machinist with that task.

The hardest part about building AKs is educating yourself on laws and variations. That, and paying for all the AKs you buy.
Yep, you learn something new all the time. Like welding over the eagle and grinding flat, that is a big no-no. Only the manufacturer is allowed to move/remove receiver markings. :grin:

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
HuliganRS said:
Can the eagle be removed?

Thanks!

Rusty.

It's illegal, if not federal, then by state law, which in your state it is:

(720 ILCS 5/24-5)
Sec. 24-5. Defacing identification marks of firearms.
(a) Any person who shall knowingly or intentionally change, alter, remove or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer?s number or other mark of identification of any firearm commits a Class 2 felony.
(b) Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed or obliter-ated shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed or obliterated the same.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

Ohio passed a similar law here, making it illegal to take off manufacturer?s markings:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 126_HB_279

and if you check around most state laws will also have very similar laws against taking off manufaturer markings. A felony conviction is a awful thing to have, just for your receiver looking good without any markings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very Interesting!

What about Wisconsin?

Thanks,

Rusty

·
Registered
185 Posts
are you shure cause its not the name or mdl # or anythang its just a oversized chicken :lol:

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
HuliganRS said:
Very Interesting!

What about Wisconsin?

Thanks,

Rusty
You can GOOGLE that and see. But in any case, it's best not to screw around with manufaturer's markings.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can remove the picture of the chicken. There is no legal requirement to put a picture of a chicken on your AK, nor to keep it there once it's there. On the list of markings that you cannot remove, the chicken is conspicously absent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Firing Line has moved the "chicken" to the underside of the receiver.
I sort of like the "chicken" on the side of my older FiringLine receivers, but that isn't a popular thing to admit in public :goof: I own several Bulgarian milled rifles and a couple polytech legends. FiringLine receivers are "better" from a function and finish standpoint than either of these two non-chicken sporting rifles.

Mike at the FiringLine is a top tier gunsmith. You should have no worries if you decide to have FiringLine do the build. For a type III russian build with a threaded barrel, there is absolutely no other choice I would make for a builder and receiver than FiringLine. No one else has nearly the experience with type III threaded receiver builds, period.

You can have the threads turned off and build your kit as a pressed pin barrel. There are several AK smiths that are up to doing that. You could even have it built on a stamped receiver, but that seems a waste for a nice type III.

Post up some pictures when you get it done. :grin:

s & p

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do.

Thanks guys.

Rusty.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
No problem removing the Chicken,but you don't want to mess with the serial#.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts