AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm just getting into AK's and I'm thinking I want to get an O PAP or N PAP that is Imported from Century. Are the Yugo made AK's nice? Do they have canted sights? Any issues? Should I go with the O PAP or N PAP? Are there any other differences then the trunnion?

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
The {O,N} PAPs are very nice rifles. High quality. You will be happy with either. Do a little searching here, the differences between the O and N have been discussed many times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mojo. I have been doing lots of research and now understand the difference between the O Pap and N Pap rifles. I think I may go for the N Pap but not really sure still. Either way I do plan I getting a Yugo AK within the next month

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Welcome to the group!

The Yugos seem to be among the better of the AK variants that Century has imported. Most people that have them seem to be very happy with them.

As for canted sight or gas blocks, the design of the AK lends itself to having these parts installed crooked so it is possible to find canted parts from any manufacturer. Some are more careful than others, using better jigs in setting up the barrel and receiver, some are not as careful. It seems the Romanians were the least careful as finding canted sight or gas blocks on their rifles is more possible than on the old Chinese Norincos. Again, the Yugos seem to be on the good side of the coin.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Yugo is a N PAP which has the nicer furniture and the receiver thickness checks out at .059. Great quality rifle but has the dreaded canted FS.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
i cant find it now but there is a video on youtube showing a simple way to fix a canted sight. you level the rifle as best as you can on a level surface with the front handguards off..take 2, 90 degree measuring tools and place them next to the front sight on either side and look at them and you will see how much the sight is canted either way and you can put the rifle barrel in a vice and take the retaining pins out and rotate the sight to level out between them both then reinstall the pins. I used this method on my yugo OPAP and it worked great..before my front sight blade was all the way to the left and now its alot more centered. images.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again dvs. Just wanted to be sure this common issue is fixable. Looks like I'm gonna commit to a Yugo N PAP:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AFAIK it has the double stack bolt but it does have the 1mm reciever. Also does not have the bulged trunnion of the O PAP.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just ordered my first AK a few days ago. I researched, fussed and fretted and finally went with the OPAP. The big selling point to me were the many positive reviews, the wood furniture and the extra thick receiver.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm also new to AKs, and went to the range today. I jumped on the bandwagon and got an O PAP and I'm psyched. Everything worked great and felt solid. The trigger was surprisingly good. Only thing is that the front sight is a little bit canted. Even with that, it was dead on.

I suspect this is a dumb question, but is this an issue if it's sighted in well? The pin is centered, just the base is canted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts