AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the finishing touches on a new Full-Auto AK course that I'll be teaching several times this fall. This will be a one-day 1,000 rounds fun-as-hell learning experience using our full-auto rental AKMs. If you have any questions feel free to email me here.

I'll have lots of other kick ass soviet-block stuff coming up for announcement through the next six months or so.

Kyle

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=68

AK Operator Class (Full-Auto) 1 Day - $300

Details:

In this course you will learn how to operate one of our full auto AK-47s or, if you hate the thought of shooting machine guns (yeah right), you can bring your semi-auto AK or use one of our semis. The class will cover history, variants, interchangeability, nomenclature, cleaning, lubrication and much more. This class also features a serious amount of range time shooting full-auto AK-47s! You will leave with a smile on your face!

Successfully completing this class will allow you to rent a full-auto AK for use in our Fighting Rifle and High Risk Civilian Contractor courses ***that are held at our Camden TN location only***.

Price includes the use of one of our state of the art AK-47s. Deduct $50 if you will be using your own rifle.

Equipment List:

-ONE (1) OPEN MIND

-Bring a lunch

-1000 rounds of factory loaded rifle ammunition

-100 rounds pistol ammo and a fighting pistol

-Weapon cleaning and lubrication equipment

- Strongside belt holster (We do not allow Blackhawk Serpa holsters. Please read our FAQ for more information).

- Full wrap eye and ear protection (muffs recommended)

-Sturdy gun belt (designed to carry a gun)

-Minimum of 3 pistol mags

-Magazine pouch for pistol

-Raingear (We shoot rain or shine)

-Hat and sunblock

- Shooting or Mechanics Gloves

- Shemag or other neck wrap

-Knee and elbow pads (optional)

-Drinking water (Camelback Strongly Recommended)

-Bug Spray

-Pen and paper

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We still have a few spots left for the September class. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Man, that sounds like fun, wish I was closer to TN!

I was hoping to be able to make the class in Sanford, Maine, but I had something scheduled for this coming weekend... :sad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
Man, that sounds like fun, wish I was closer to TN!

I was hoping to be able to make the class in Sanford, Maine, but I had something scheduled for this coming weekend... :sad:

You missed a good time.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First two classes are complete! All had a hell of a good time and learned a lot about AKs and full auto both.

Some student reviews:

From "Stevo"

AK Operator- Camden TN - September 17, 2008

Course instructor Kyle Lynch. Four shooters including Jim Fuller, the builder of the AKs.

The course covered:
AK history and variants;
Operation of the AK in semi and full-auto;
Care and maintenance of the AK platform;
Disassembly to the field-strip stage and reassembly;
Proper stance and technique for full-auto use.

The course was structured in a shoot a bit, talk a bit, format. This allowed the guns to cool after extended auto fire. I fired aprx. 1000 rds of 7.62x39 over the course of the day. We were using Romanian 7.62x39 guns built on Nodak receivers, with fixed wood stocks. We also had a chance to fire Jim's 5.45 AKS-74U and 5.45 AK-74 at the end of the class.

This was my third course with Tactical Response and I took it for two reasons. First, to become familiar with the AK prior to renting one for Fighting Rifle and Advanced Fighting Rifle. Second, who could pass up the chance to shoot a full-auto AK when time and budget permits? I certainly could not.

The very first item on the lesson plan was a full mag dump into the target. A most excellent way to start out. It allowed us to get an appreciation for the aggressive stance necessary to control the AK in full auto. The rifle requires you to assume a very weight-forward aggressive stance, a firm grip on the fore-end to control the muzzle, and a tight fit of the rifle into your shoulder. Without this technique, you will have a very hard time to control it. Due to the chest rig I was wearing, I was unable to get the butt into the crook of my shoulder and ended up with it on the edge of my shoulder and bicep. I have lots of bruises to show this is not the best way to hold it. We progressed through using the rifle in semi and bursts of full-auto. We also worked on firing single shots while in full-auto mode. It's quite easy to fire single shots due to the low cyclic rate of the AK, which is around 650 rpm. We fired at distances from aprx 7 to 20 yds. The longer distance showed how much the bursts will spread out, when you don't have firm control of the rifle.

Considering this was the very first presentation of the course, it went very smoothly. Kyle was well organized, very knowledgeable and a super instructor. We were able to cover all the material in the single day in a relaxed, well-paced format.

What did I get out of this course? It provided all the background I needed to pick up the rifle and employ it confidently and effectively in Fighting Rifle the very next day. I had previously fired about 10 rds through an AK prior to this class so I had virtually no experience with the rifle. It was not a "fighting" course, per se, but did give me all the tools needed to step up and get it done in Fighting Rifle. It was also incredibly fun and satisfying to be able to master this rifle, and be able to hold a whole mag on full-auto in a pie-plate sized group on the target.

Who should take this course? Anyone with no previous AK experience will receive a solid education in it's operation and maintenance. If you take this course, you are then able to rent the full-auto AK for classes in Camden. It's my understanding that this course will be expanded to two days and include the RPK and PKM in the near future. I can't wait to take that course.

To sum up, I found this course most satisfying and informative. I feel it was an excellent value for me, considering my plans to rent an AK for training in Camden. My thanks go out to my fellow students, to Jim for building outstanding fighting rifles, to Kyle for his patience and passion for the AK, and to Tactical Response for offering such a great class to their students.

From "Magic Man"

The course review...

The course format was a bit odd for me, a small deviation from the traditional Tactical Response format. We'd shoot until the guns got hot, and then switch off to a lecture portion of the class. We'd general run three to six magazines through the rifles in a variety of drills, and then hear Kyle or Brian expound on the intricacies, vagaries, peculiarities, and history of the AK. Kyle Lynch and Yorda (Brian) are two very knowledgeable instructors.

We started off with a basic drill that taught us how much we don't know. Once we established a baseline in the class, we moved forward into how to control an AK on full auto. Once we got comfortable on full auto, we also learned how to do single shots on full auto, and 3-5 round bursts.

The aggressive firing stance Kyle and Brian taught has changed my firing stance forever. The drills clearly demonstrated the value of an aggressive stance for shooting semi-auto as well as full auto. We worked our way from standing to kneeling to prone, moving side to side and forward, hasty positions while advancing, and "talking" the guns back and forth. The fully automatic AK has significant recoil, but it can be controlled effectively by a trained shooter. The speed limit drill was excellent, as it showed that full auto can be used at a distance, you just have to have an excellent firing stance.

Between Corey and Hunter, we saw nearly every AK malfunction in possible. Except for Hunter's malfunction, everything could be fixed in the field. Most could be cured by removing the magazine, tilting the chamber/ejection port down, and cycling the action. Some required the removal of the dust cover. One required significant beating with a cleaning rod when a round got stuck in the chamber. I think the only thing we didn't see was a ripped off case head with the remainder still in the chamber. Thank you Corey and Hunter for demoing all these malfunctions. Better to see them there, in class, and learn from them, than to see them for the first time in the field and die from them.

Learning to shoot the AK on full auto was very valuable. The mini-lectures in between the shooting parts were equally valuable. We covered who makes AK's, the different caliber AK's, the difference between stamped and milled receivers as well as the why, how to spot counterfeit AK's, and then the full disassembly, cleaning, preventive maintenance, a short primer on what tends to fail most often, and then lubrication and reassembly of the AK. Yes, an epic run on sentence, but the information imparted was excellent. This is the information that will save you if you end up being issued an AK for whatever reason. How the AK all goes together and works is very worthwhile information. It gives you a deeper understanding then just how to take apart and clean your AK, but isn't as in depth a full armorers class.

My big takeaways...

Wear eye protection. Always. I was standing next to Hunter as his AK disassembled itself and strongly second his advice to wear eye protection. You truly never know when something will go wrong. His upper face, eye protection, and forehead all received a splattering of grease/carbon. Wear eye pro.

Full auto is seriously fun.

Full auto has very few real uses.

Most AK's in the world are full auto - knowing how to handle a full auto AK is one of those skills that, if you need it, you will desperately need it.

An aggressive firing stance is always a good idea. It allows for very rapid follow up shots on semi-auto and keeps bullets where they belong on full auto.

AK's can be broken. They are very reliable - but are still mechanical devices that can fail. We still did transitions in the full auto operators class. Very useful for when you run out of bullets as well.

This ended the 4 class streak I took with an AK. I took Fighting Rifle, Advanced Fighting Rifle, and Intermediate Distance Fighting Rifle (review soon!) with my SLR-107F. I then took the AK Operators Course as a capstone to it all. Tactical Response does an excellent job teaching you to fight. Whichever rifle you show up with, the instructors will teach you how to manipulate it so you can fight effectively with it. They certainly knew how to get the most from my AK, with Allen and John showing me how to get hits out to 300 yards with plain iron sights in Intermediate Distance Fighting Rifle. The Full Auto Operator class would have been an excellent introduction, but, being me, I ended up taking it as my last class rather than my first. From this AAR, you should be able to see that I got my money's worth and then some from it anyways.

Minor alterations I would make... Put cleaning supplies on the list of things to bring to class. Have a full auto AK with an EOTech or other red dot sight purely for comparison. The Cave Man EOTech works great, but I would have liked to have seen the recoil effects through a red dot as well. The additions that Kyle and Brian made to the curriculum on the fly (using walls/posts/car doors to stabilize your rifle on full auto) were excellent additions and should be kept. See if you can't get a large "exploded" drawing of an AK to use as a teaching aid next to the disassembled AK during the explanation of how it all goes together/works. More hasty/improvised positions would be good as well.

Upcoming class dates:

November 5th, 2008

January 11th, 2009

February 20th, 2009

September 25th, 2009

1 - 9 of 9 Posts